It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd cheers as GOP rep. tells girl her dad would have to be deported

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with what the rep said. The father can apply for residency and come there if he goes through the right channels and is not a criminal of some kind. The laws allow for that, the fact that the legal procedure is so expensive is a major problem for some families. That is because you need a special lawyer, a person should be able to do this themselves.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I find it deplorable that someone would use a young girl to push a political agenda. This girl was used as a tool by the those that are out to demonize those that only want the law to be followed. where are those crying out about those that abuse this young girl by setting her up for this? Why didn't the father think about the repurcussions of his CRIME? There are thousands in the penitentiary now that have children, why should this man be any different? Yes this is jolly bad form to put a young innocent girl in front of you and use her for a shield to protect your butt from the repurcussions of your crime. In some parts of the world this might be a war crime.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I think that most of the people that have a problem with this, don't have a problem with what the man said but rather how the crowd cheered at the possible breaking up of a family and a young girl losing her father.

Why the cheering? Why not show the least amount of compassion for a little girl that is about to lose her father and whose family is on the verge of being broken up?

That's the part that gets me the most. Not what the representative said.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stutteringp0et

Decency and respect are more important than all the things you mention. If the human race runs short on these things then it will suffer a far worse fate than if the law simply collapses.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I cut that heartstring looooong ago.

I'm not going to be played.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
As some have mentioned, it's not the issue, it's the manner of response that is at question.

It seems oh so much like Christains being thrown to the lions in Ancient Rome. People, through no fault of their own, PERSICUTED for the life that was doled out to them.

The IDIOTS that cheered with no regard for the child that asked the question are NOT Americans. They are what some factions here in the US are trying to morph it into. A dog eat dog, fend for yourself world. That is until the shoe is on the other foot and they are the ones on the receiving end.

People have become very short sighted, and can't even see beyond the nose on their faces. Sad. I choose to not be that kind of person.

As far as the "...do it legally...", that system is broken, terribly. I have a friend who is a UK citezen and lived here in the states for 20 yrs, married a US gal, and eventually divorced and went back to the UK. He tried for 2 years to come back. Thousands of dollars, redo after redo of forms, W2's, security investigations etc. it finally got so bad he gave up. By the way, while married, hi did sire a son and even that wasn't enough.

So please, don't tell me that there's a correct way to come back. That only works when you know someone and can circumvent the system.

We were a country of immigrants and there was no one here to check our papers when we came.

Push your Representative to stop playing politics and get immigration reform fixed and stop bullying little girls. If you want, pick on somebody their own size!
edit on 8/23/2013 by ctdannyd because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Another new low for the GOP (as if they could get any lower). It's bad enough that they cheered letting uninsured people die at a Ron Paul rally, now they think it's funny that children might lose their parents, and yet these same people are always telling us that they care about people, and their reputation as mean and cold-hearted is undeserved. Don't believe them.

nbclatino.com...

THERE ARE LAWS THAT MUST BE FOLLOWED.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Shouldn't surprise anyone

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I find it hilarious that so many people here are still polarized by American Politics. You're all being played. Once you realize that neither party holds up to their end of the bargain, and they're both essentially pushing the same agenda.. You'll be able to start making some progress. Look at how the parties have changed in 100 years. Liberals were the same people fighting FOR SLAVERY in the 1800's, while the republicans were fighting for FREEDOM and LIBERTY for all men. I wouldn't say that either of the parties hold those same ideals anymore.

Our government is one big business and the two party system is a necessary component for its operation.. It is the fuel that keeps us divided and weak, while the government unifies and grows stronger.

The US was built on liberty and freedom. It was an idea created to allow people to live freely and do as they please so long as it does not interfere with anyone else's freedoms or liberties to do the same.

The people booing, cheering, crying or what have you.. are allowed to do so. It is their freedom and that's the beautiful part about this country.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I have a heart and mind but have been slightly numbed by the fact that the same situation(different child) has been used in countless town halls and the like. Last year, during the 2012 elections, I went to 4 different meetings, both local and state affiliated. At 3 of those meetings, a little girl spoke asking the same question. Kind of odd, huh? Perhaps they are all legit and the reaction harsh. Who knows? But the same verbiage used, same scenario, similar little girl.....

Now I understand that the actions of those in attendance might be cruel. I think both sides of the proverbial aisle could use some manners. So, while I agree with the answer given, I think we can all agree that applauding the loss of a parent might be considered trashy.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyMojo
I find it hilarious that so many people here are still polarized by American Politics. You're all being played. Once you realize that neither party holds up to their end of the bargain, and they're both essentially pushing the same agenda.. You'll be able to start making some progress. Look at how the parties have changed in 100 years. Liberals were the same people fighting FOR SLAVERY in the 1800's, while the republicans were fighting for FREEDOM and LIBERTY for all men. I wouldn't say that either of the parties hold those same ideals anymore.

Our government is one big business and the two party system is a necessary component for its operation.. It is the fuel that keeps us divided and weak, while the government unifies and grows stronger.

The US was built on liberty and freedom. It was an idea created to allow people to live freely and do as they please so long as it does not interfere with anyone else's freedoms or liberties to do the same.

The people booing, cheering, crying or what have you.. are allowed to do so. It is their freedom and that's the beautiful part about this country.

I think you're confusing Liberals with Dixiecrats

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I liked the bank robber analogy used earlier in this thread so much that I substituted "bank robber" for "undocumented" and "jail" for "deportation" throughout this second video, where this little girl is being paraded and exploited for political gain, once again.
Notice how the host keeps trying to lead her so he can get his sound byte.

2nd video

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Anyone who comes here illegally risks their family being seperated yet always blame us instead of taking personal responsibility. If we break a law, no matter which law it is, we get fined or go to jail. If you come here illegally, you get deported. They know this. They are not stupid people. Many get away with it, so they take a risk, but you also have to pay the consequences if caught.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So, yeah was the cheering insensitive?

Sure it was.

But let's remember the facts. The man came here illegal. He's not a citizen and most likely has been making use of services provided by tax payer dollars that he isn't paying his fair share.

I figure If I have to be enslaved to debt and the system, so does he.

It sucks for her and him and it's unfortunate. I support immigration reform that doesn't include just showing millions of people the door mind you.

But the Rep is right. Under current conditions, he'd be deported.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Oh look! It's SYMBOLISM over SUBSTANCE again!

Oh, and lookie here! It's the same ppl starring each other and having a fit over it!

The motto here is to "Deny Ignorance", are you sure you guys are in the right place?

You guys who support this nonsense KNOW why the ppl were clapping, I don't believe any of you are that thick. You have an agenda, and through the use of "tugging the heartstrings" you hope to change ppl's minds and cloud the issue.

nuh uh. No you don't. Not again. We've been played enough over the years, tyvm.

Much like Detroit, you made your bed, now lay in it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Whoever brought this young lady to such an event is even more pathetic than those who cheered, but that's of no fault to the child. I feel for the kid and hope these experiences don't harm her heart as badly as it would have harmed mine at her age.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFriendlyGreek
Whoever brought this young lady to such an event is even more pathetic than those who cheered, but that's of no fault to the child. I feel for the kid and hope these experiences don't harm her heart as badly as it would have harmed mine at her age.

I agree, I think it's horrible that she was even brought there. The parents arn't stupid. This is a child and they knew damned well the possibility of her getting her feelings hurt and her hopes dashed. They KNEW this yet allowed it anyway! If I had a child and even if she wanted to be there and speak, I wouldn't have allowed it at that age. Common sense alone tells you the possibility of hurt feelings would be high at these events.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWrightWing
Fathers are sent to jail & prison all the time. Should we stop that, because they may have a daughter?

Or should perhaps, adults be held accountable for their actions and choices?

Which is it?

and who is being held accountable for disregarding the immigration laws and not securing the border??

I don't know about you but at work usually.. if a policy is being disregarded.. then they decide it needs to be followed they don't reprimand everyone who has been violating that policy.. simply because the people who were supposed to be enforcing the policy were breaking their own policy in the first place. If it really was an issue the person in charge of enforcing that policy is fired.

part of the consequences for not enforcing immigration laws and securing the border is an influx of illegals. If you want to send them to jail or send them back to where they came from then you should send the people who did not enforce immigration laws, and the people who benefited from illegal workers to jail as well..

that won't happen.
edit on 23-8-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well, from the looks of your avatar, it's quite clear where you stand..

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Originally posted by TheWrightWing
Fathers are sent to jail & prison all the time. Should we stop that, because they may have a daughter?

Or should perhaps, adults be held accountable for their actions and choices?

Which is it?

and who is being held accountable for disregarding the immigration laws and not securing the border??

I don't know about you but at work usually.. if a policy is being disregarded.. then they decide it needs to be followed they don't reprimand everyone who has been violating that policy.. simply because the people who were supposed to be enforcing the policy were breaking their own policy in the first place. If it really was an issue the person in charge of enforcing that policy is fired.

part of the consequences for not enforcing immigration laws and securing the border is an influx of illegals. If you want to send them to jail or send them back to where they came from then you should send the people who did not enforce immigration laws, and the people who benefited from illegal workers to jail as well..

that won't happen.

I have to agree with you. The illegals have been able to work, go to school and live here, recieve welfare benefits, cheap housing, discounted tuition on college etc. It's like a giant welcome sign saying "break our laws and get what you want."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join