It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful Yet Precariously Placed Monasteries

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Living in one of these must take a large amount of faith. They look like they are on the brink of collapse. Hard to even imagine being one of the builders scaling the walls. Enjoy!

Link
edit on 22-8-2013 by usertwelve because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Very beautiful monasteries.
I can't even image the hard work it took to build these. Trying to get the material and equipment to these locations must have been exhausting!

Personally, I could never handle it with my fear of heights. And looking at the pictures, I kept thinking about earthquakes!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
For You Interest: Number 2, Taktsang Monastery, Bhutan, was the Monastery where Batman was training in Batman Begins

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Sad that Mr. Wayne had to burn it down....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Awesome.

This is why i love ATS. We might not ever prove the existence of Aliens or BIgfoot but i am constantly in wonder at what even the oldest of our cultures has already accomplished. It is remarkable to me that in this age of wondrous technology and instant communication that we still think we cannot accomplish anything we set our minds to.

A truly wonderful link, thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

Beautiful and terrifying at the same time, though I imagine the views are spectacular and particularly good for contemplation.

I particularly like Taktsang Monastery, Bhutan, and have a friend who has traveled there. He said it was quite a steep climb to get all the way up there. His group started early in the morning and arrived in the afternoon, toured, then hoofed it down before nightfall.

He said that the architect for the monastery (like others in Bhutan) was a monk, and in that culture, you do not have pre-drawn blue-prints and rules and plans. Instead, it is done through intuition, prayer and practical skill in a more haphazard but obviously effective style. They fix it and add a room or such as is needed/felt. Amazing!

peace,
AB
edit on 22-8-2013 by AboveBoard because: s-illy me...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
With the way the world is heading these days they still might be the wiser for building where they have.

Think about it

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

edit on 22-8-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
These are fantastic, the fact that some of these are over a thousand years old is amazing.
We humans are such a clever bunch. Building like this has many advantages , and as long as you keep vertigo in check its all good.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

Beautiful and though maybe not he most spectacular I think the Orthodox monastery's are the most beautiful, I can kind of see there point as they could retreat to religious solitude and escape much of the persecution that was below but also act like beacons of faith to those that looked up to them, In the Assyriac orthodox church there was a famous saint whom lived on a pillar en.wikipedia.org... and the similarity's are plain to see in the Christian faith but also apply to some degree to the Buddhist faith.
S+F

top topics

join