It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA created secret gun database on millions of gun owners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I have to admit I am laughing about this. Gun people are so fanatical about not letting anyone keep lists of any kind about guns and gun owners- even when it could help law enforcement catch thousands of criminals, and the NRA is the loudest and most vile opponent. Now it comes out they've been tracking gun owners all along. If Obama had done this there would be blood in the streets right now, of course the NSA probably has the list too since they are in everyone's computers. I wonder what gun crazies will do about this?

blog.seattlepi.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I guess you can infer from it's membership that most people are gun owners, but I'm sure a large number may also simply just be hunters or simply support the 2nd Amendment. The key here is that people voluntarily choose to join an organization like the NRA, and oddly enough, the fine print probably states exactly what data they collect and what they do with it. Most people are just too lazy to read it though.

For those who are interested.
NRA Privacy Policy
edit on 22-8-2013 by peter_kandra because: Updated with NRA privacy policy

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This just in: AAA knows its members own cars!!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
No, it's not just members. I've never had any association with the NRA whatsover, and they were sending me mailers that made it apparent they knew I was a gun owner.

I wrote a thread on it a few days after I contacted the NRA to ask what this was all about. You can read about it here.

I am an avid supporter of The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights - But I am no fan of the NRA. There is something fishy about the NRA.

Please read this thread for a description of my experience with the NRA.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
oooo the horor..... Im a crazy gun owner and now they know i own guns even though since i can remember i have to submit to a background check. Im sooooooo mad.....I might go out and shot a soda can with my legally owned firearm.

haha sarc/ off

edit on 22-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Gun people are so fanatical about not letting anyone keep lists of any kind about guns and gun owners- even when it could help law enforcement catch thousands of criminals
How can a list of law abiding gun owners help police catch "thousands of criminals"?
Well?
There is no registration of hand guns in Connecticut, well there is no legal registration of hand guns in Connecticut. But every handgun (legally) sold in Connecticut is tracked to a owner, and this list has not stopped one crime, or caught one criminal. In fact the list it self is illegal.

Sorry, but saying NRA members have guns is no big surprise, they don't know how many, or what kind you have and the truth is they don't know if you have any at all.

Oh and for the people that get spam mail from the NRA, I got letters from them before I was old enough to own a gun, it's spam. Now for the other people who took the NRA safety course, yeah they assume you own a gun, no big surprise there.
edit on 8/22/2013 by GunzCoty because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The NRA is just a marketing tool.

They are only against a list of gun owners if they can incite panic buying of ammunition with it.

Where else are they going to get the mailing list for the "Dere cummin for ar gunz" flyers?

It's a good business model, and this is America, if people are daft enough to fall for it..........

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The NRA has one job. Make money for the gun industry. Everything they do is geared to that. And we know the biggest way companies now make money is by gathering data and selling it to people who want a ceratin target audience. The amount of informantion the NRA is selling to whomever pays some cash is a paranoid gun owners worst nightmare. Their are plenty of second amendment groups who are not shill for corporate america and instead focused on gun rights. I suggest people find them.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

And since the NSA, CIA, DHS, FBI etc., record all electronic communications and hack into every database, the government now knows too.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Every corporation has marketing initiatives and most do data mining. Paranoia about lists and databases is impotent at this stage. Big data is here and isn't going anywhere.

I hope people will get sick of it and do something at some point but there are so many ignorant people, I'm cynical about the potential for any improvement.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Um...The NRA has a member list.

It isn't a stretch to infer they are all probably gun owners.

How is this news?

And by the way it is very different for the government to do this.

People join the NRA voluntarily. The Government spying on people is not voluntary.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by CB328

How is this news?
People join the NRA voluntarily. The Government spying on people is not voluntary.

It's not just members.

That database has been built through years of acquiring gun permit registration lists from state and county offices, gathering names of new owners from the thousands of gun safety classes taught by NRA-certified instructors and by buying lists of attendees of gun shows, subscribers to gun magazines, and more,

How The NRA Built A Massive Secret Database Of Gun Owners

Were the gun show attendees or magazine subscribers aware that their information was being bought and sold?

This is no different to the "Gubment" spying.

The outcome may be different, but the principal is the same.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Fingerhut has a database and mailing list of those they think might buy something from their mail order catalogs. Nothing illegal about the NRA having such a database, it is highly illegal for the Federal Government to have such a database by whatever means acquired.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Little thing called targeted marketing. I know this personally because I know someone that works for the company who does all the NRA's database mgt, fulfillment and mailings. It's just like any other organization and company that's trying to get their message to their market. Same reason you don't send Omaha steaks coupons to vegans.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by CB328

How is this news?

Please see my post earlier in this thread. The NRA is compiling lists of gun owners that have never had any association with the NRA whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
A gun registry consists of serial numbers, addresses of gun owners and how many and what types of guns owned.

Op this is pathetic. It should be moved to the hoax bin promptly. Apparently you don't understand what a gun registry is.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Was this list created at the behest of a knowledgeable base? Meaning they knew their membership would be kept in a database? If so, a few notes:

1: It was laid out, in the open that they would be added to a list.

2: This isn't the Government. A private organization is not the same as a Government entity -- especially if people willingly agree to it (if that is the case).

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Just to clear a few things up:

A gun registry consists of all purchases of firearms by any given individual. Legally registered and purchased.
The only way to create a gun registry is to confiscate records of every firearms dealer.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
No, it's not just members. I've never had any association with the NRA whatsover, and they were sending me mailers that made it apparent they knew I was a gun owner.

I wrote a thread on it a few days after I contacted the NRA to ask what this was all about. You can read about it here.

I am an avid supporter of The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights - But I am no fan of the NRA. There is something fishy about the NRA.

Please read this thread for a description of my experience with the NRA.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Crap, you go down to the supermarket and buy a can of soup and use your store savings card and you will get coupons in the mail from Cambels soup company.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas
Were the gun show attendees or magazine subscribers aware that their information was being bought and sold?

You ask a solid question but don't want a verified answer? Are you sure that these people did not want to be included in a list? Maybe they signed up for it when they went to a gun show....I know it is contrary to your "gotacha!" piece though.

The outcome may be different, but the principal is the same.

Not really. A person that willingly (assuming; I figured I could since you are assuming otherwise, is vastly differently from a State power demanding information on people for a natural and Constitutional right).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join