It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars and our Moon will look the same size, and both be visible together on the 27/08/2013 ???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice the blood red moon rising in the eastern sky last night? It prompted my girlfriend to "google" the moon and she came upon the same sensationalist article as the one in the OP. I don't know if this is possible because Mars will never be closer to the Earth than the Moon. At least that's what I told her.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xMJRx

Jesus Christ.

Really?

Every couple of years someone starts this crap up again?

ATS used to be the place where a person would hear something, then do a bit of research on it, then come post a thread to share information with us and have some banter.

When did step 2 stop being used? This isn't ask.com or yahoo answers.

I wish facebook would have never been created.
edit on 22-8-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilbus
I don't know if this is possible because Mars will never be closer to the Earth than the Moon. At least that's what I told her.

mars would have to be CLOSER than the moon to appear the same size?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Well, the closest Mars could ever get to Earth is 33.9 million miles. The moon is roughly 240,000 miles away from Earth. So, despite Mars being twice the size, I don't know how (unless something out of my realm) it could ever appear even close to the size of the moon.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilbus

of course it isn't possible

I just wonder if you have ever witnessed a solar or lunar eclipse by your first post.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I don't know why you'd gather that. Who knows, maybe you're trolling? Well done if so

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I don't know why you'd gather that. Who knows, maybe you're trolling? Well done if so

because you posted this...

I don't know if this is possible because Mars will never becloser to the Earth than the Moon. At least that's what I told her.

ugh

hold a baseball in your left hand and a golf ball in your right and align them with the golf ball closest to your face. do you get it yet? It would NEVER have to be closer regardless of the ridiculous OP.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You're talking about eclispses now? All I stated is that it would be impossible for Mars to appear as big as the Moon due to the sheer distance. You're extremely confusing. I understand eclipses but the Sun is exponentially larger than the moon. You're not making sense at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Does anyone know when Mars will be visible from Oklahoma USA on the 27th? I'm guessing early morning, just before sunrise or shortly thereafter.

Not sure if i'll be able to view it =(
I would like to see it, or at least some pictures. I don't think it will appear as large as the moon but it should be larger than normal at least.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

It will rise a little before 5am and will be easily visible at ~6am. It will be the orange dot down and to the left of Jupiter (which will be the brightest star-looking thingy in the sky when looking east at that hour). It's ~200,000,000 miles away at the moment, so it's only moderately bright - about the same as the stars Castor & Pollux, which you'll see lined-up above and slightly left of Mars at that hour.

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

Fabulous free software that's always useful for checking when and where celestial objects will be visible:

www.stellarium.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by onebigmonkey

Precisely what I used when writing my previous post.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
If Mars was ever that close to Earth, the tides would be rather interesting.......

top topics

<< 1   >>

join