It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Sinkhole swallows up trees in less than a minute. Louisiana (VIDEO)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

I would like to hear from a geologist and not just a troll who comments on nearly all of my posts.

Its basic science, stand near it use your nose can you smell anything Yes...ok stand back a mile get someone else to light the match. If it goes Kaboom!...all the gas has been consumed and the hazard will be cleared.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
A short informational vid about some of the biggest and coolest sinkholes or general holes in the ground.

And a random vid on youtube I came across of some people skydiving right over the belize blue hole you can clearly see it from those heights.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I saw this on reddit and was suprised, that the cameraman stayed so calm... I would be scared as f....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It appears the seismic activity is increasing in the area again

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Here are some images of the sinkhole area on the map, the wells in the area and the legend of those wells:

The explosive capacity of the butane well closest to the sinkhole is explained. My question is what would it take to set it off?

Potential butane explosive capacity calculated The 1.5 million barrels of liquid butane 1500 feet from the sinkhole has an explosive capacity of 100 Hiroshima nuclear bombs, 1.5 times the explosive force of the largest thermonuclear weapon in current service in the U.S., according to Wikipedia scientific data and popular citizen reporter, Dutchsince, and confirmed by Dupré's sources this weekend.

Excluding secondary oil and gas pipeline and refinery explosions, direct effects of such a single bomb blast in Bayou Corne, fifty miles from Baton Rouge, would include Donaldsonville, Louisiana, according to NUKEMAP simulations showing an H-bomb this size would produce:

"Fire-ball radius: (central orange circle): 0.62 km / 0.39 mi. Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; relevance to lived effects depends on height of detonation.

"Air blast radius: 3.8 km / 2.1 mi (red shaded circle) 20 psi overpressure; heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished; fatalities approach 100%

"Air blast radius: 8.93 km / 5.55 mi (gray shaded circle) 4.6 psi overpressure; most buildings collapse; injuries universal, fatalities widespread.

"Thermal radiation radius: 15.18 km / 9.43 mi (outer orange shaded circle) Third-degree burns to all exposed skin; starts fires in flammable materials, contributes to firestorm if large enough."

Note: Butane explosion effects would differ from H-bomb effects two ways: 1) It would take much longer and have insignificant radiation damage; 2) Temperatures reached would be lower, so the fireball, thermal radiation, and air blast radii would be smaller, but all three longer-lasting.
source
edit on 22-8-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

All I have to say is WOOOOooOooOOoooOooW

There was a thread on this earlier this year pinpointing it to be a sink hole problem. And now, the truth is here! It is one from an old mine.

Good work ATS person who called it!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed sink holes happen mainly in US.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Nice catch everybody
it's crazy how many sinkholes are popping up....er down I guess. Thanks for staying on top of this. It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Azarien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Posted long time ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Great! That was what I was referring about! *S* for you

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Wow.. just wow snf

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
For the past 4++ hours, this video has been the top video featured on youtube. I find that interesting. Very, very interesting.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I can't help but wonder...

Has anyone tried swimming or scuba diving in the sinkhole?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

The water is very dirty and dangerous with the debris and suction. I doubt you would get any qualified diver to attempt it. I am both PADI and IDEA certified and there is NO way I would go down there!

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I seen this video live on msm...

Amazing, really.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

i think its a static camera there have been videos of the same angle for months

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I found an update about the event on the Assumption Parish Police Jury Blog.

Seems the movement was expected & within the predicted zone.

DNR Secretary Stephen Chustz said, “The sinkhole has continued to grow over time as we’ve expected. This growth is due to surface water, soil and broken rock that has moved down to fill the space created by the Texas Brine cavern operation that failed in August 2012. This movement is something we expect as the sinkhole shifts out into the predicted area.

The seismic monitoring systems ordered by the Office of Conservation in Bayou Corn are continuously monitoring for potentially hazardous subsurface developments. These systems detected seismic signals indicative of fluid and gas movement several hours before the slough-in, allowing the Assumption Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness On-Scene Commander to stop all work within the containment berms constructed around the sinkhole.
To read the rest of the statement: August 22, 2013 - 5:15 p.m. Update from the Office of Conservation

All that political speak doesn't make the video any less scary/cool. But it is good to know that with the seismic systems they kind of get a heads up.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
Footage shows the moment trees and land were swallowed up by a giant sinkhole in Louisiana.

The Assumption Parish sinkhole near Bayou Corne has been swallowing land since it appeared in August last year. It had been in a dormant period before it picked up activity.
Officials say the 24-acre opening in the earth is growing.
"The sinkhole continues to be active and grow," OEP Director John Boudreaux said.
Boudreaux added that homes are not in danger, and they are updating people who live near the sinkhole often.

24 acres
I would not like to live near that!

Link

Awesome footage. nobody figured out what that thing is and they call themselves experts.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
reply to post by Philippines

The water is very dirty and dangerous with the debris and suction. I doubt you would get any qualified diver to attempt it. I am both PADI and IDEA certified and there is NO way I would go down there!

Feh.. I'm a NAUI diver, I'll do it.

As far as sinkholes go, if you look at a cross-section of the earths surface, these "giant sinkholes" are tiny miniature pits in the dirt. They are pretty much next to nothing to the planet. Even the largest ones are pretty insignificant in the grand scale of our planet. So it seems huge to us, it's tiny caverns collapsing under weight of stuff above it to our planet.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here is an interesting video about the Lake Peigneur Salt mine disaster which occured about an hour west of this Assumption Parish sinkhole. Basically a drilling company drilled too far down and punctured the salt dome causing the lake to drain.
Eleven barges were pulled down the whirlpool.
Just goes to show how dangerous those holes can become.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 23-8-2013 by canselmi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join