It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Sinkhole swallows up trees in less than a minute. Louisiana (VIDEO)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That's absolutely crazy!! Those poor trees
And what the hell were those people doing standing there filming it?! If I'd just watched the ground swallow a bunch of 30ft trees, and then cause the water to ripple around me, I would run a mile

reply to post by Swills

I think there's probably always been this many sinkholes, it's just that there's more media coverage about them now so people take note more

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 59demon
What exactly was that large yellow floating tube/hose?

Those are oil containment booms. Supposed to hold or slow the spread of contamination.

Another tree when down today.

H/T to member Anmarie96 for posting it in the main thread, Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thanks for posting the OP video -- I've never seen that before. Scary fast.

I feel sorry for the people who are being forced to evacuate. It's possible that some of those homes have been in the same family for generations. Not just financially devastating (does home insurance cover sinkholes?), but a huge personal loss.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I saw a video if this sink hole weeks ago and it was mostly drawing debris back and forth, my, how its has grown!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

makes me wonder where it's gonna get burped from

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Both of those videos are crazy. I'm sure these are cameras set up by the way (someone mentioned someone filming this and I seriously doubt that). It does appear there is an increase of these lately - guys house gets swallowed while he is asleep, massive ocean whirlpools, this. Maybe its always happened and weeee just noticing it more. Or maybe its something with the core - heating up the ground and water within - minerals then eating at rock and eroding it more quickly... Who knows but its strange.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
and when it's going to burp...those 2 clips are really something to behold....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

sooooooo glad it wasn't my mine... it's pretty scary if you live locally... and your property would be worth what? 0.00 poor locals..... a very serious problem.... and for wildlife too.... just no good at all comes from this horror...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by oneisone

Thanks for the vid

I wonder how many more tree sinking videos we will see from this sinkhole.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec
Both of those videos are crazy. I'm sure these are cameras set up by the way (someone mentioned someone filming this and I seriously doubt that). It does appear there is an increase of these lately - guys house gets swallowed while he is asleep, massive ocean whirlpools, this. Maybe its always happened and weeee just noticing it more. Or maybe its something with the core - heating up the ground and water within - minerals then eating at rock and eroding it more quickly... Who knows but its strange.

I think it is something like erosion. after this post im gonna read up and edit/

Groundwater Erosion

erosion by underwater stream

we are/have been mining and boring holes into the earth for centuries. When small shifts in the plates happen. could we be seeing something similar to Tetris? as if the earths layers we 2 dimensional.

Ponder this.

There was little unnatural change affected on earth for an extremely long time before man. Salt dissolves, who doesn't know that..
What if we somehow damaged barriers between a large body of underground water and a large portion of earth that is water soluble? Whereas by normalcy bias, we have chipped away so long assuming "its been all good, so it will be all good".

Could fracking somewhere have magnified the ramifications of my theory?
Its is a water mix they are pumping in right?
Are some of the chemicals extracted/mined water repellent?

what if somehow, we have damaged underground water proof barriers and now the water is touching something soluble? this could actually be happening anywhere underground near there via underground river. (er? river.)

why would anyone think this is a good idea to do near swamps?

Salt Mining

edit on 22-8-2013 by HanzHenry because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2013 by HanzHenry because: link

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
What caused this is a salt cavern that failed. There are 3 of them really close to the sink hole. All three are approximately 1 mile wide X 3 miles deep. One held 1.9 million barrels of liquid butane, one held NORM.....Naturally Occuring Radioactive Material, and I can't remember the third. The company that owns the caverns is called Texas Brine. Apparently the company knew years ago that the caverns could be compromised, and did nothing.

As far as the other sink holes, the ones in Florida, and else where, are natural. Why we are hearing about so many lately, is anyones guess. It's still pretty scary. The Assumption Parish sink hole is pretty close to the New Madrid Fault line. So if one still has something in it and it went KABLUIE.......well, we wouldn't have to wait for an earthquake like it had back in the 1880's.....

ETA- HanzHenry.......I, and a few other pointed out the fact that a salt cavern that close to the ocean could only hold up for so long, CUZ........Water dissolves Salt......I'm a polish-hillbilly, and a blonde to boot, and I know it was a bad Idea.........I questioned before...I wonder how many years of collage the deciding people had all together.......that's engineers for ya........
edit on 22-8-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This sinkhole is the result of a breach in one of the massive salt caverns underground. I'll try to put some links together, but what it amounts to is that the companies bore a very, very deep hole and then pump in water and various chemicals (not sure what, at the moment) in order to fracture the salt. Then more water is pumped in to force the saltwater to the surface which is then refined and the salt is used for lots of stuff.

This particular problem is due to a well being dug too close to the outer edge of the salt dome. After the sinkhole was already causing problems, they drilled a relief hole in from an angle in the hopes they could plug the shaft causing the problem. Apparently, the fracture is very, very bad and there is no answer in sight.

The post earlier that mentioned setting it on fire is an EXTREMELY bad idea. A sizable portion of our Strategic Oil Reserves are stored down there (along with massive amounts of natural gas).

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

one clip of a burp

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

ha still going on, probably would go on for some time to come. Very cool vid, you can even see the water continually fizz and bubble like a coke bottle as the gaseous contents they had underground mix and escape into the atmosphere. Crazy how the trees just sort of slip and disappear into nowhere out of the blue, they had some other thread around here a few weeks ago with a sinkhole though albeit this was on solid ground were people were standing at the edge of it taking pictures and looking at, not that dangerous as its on solid ground though and not likely to shift so fast, and I think that whole area in Louisiana were that your vid shows in 2012 used to be solid ground as well, you know minus the caves they dug underneath to store hazardous materials.
Not exactly sure because I cant remember what exactly it looked like from threads back then but I think it was all solid ground.

On a side note that pond or lake or whatever you want to call it will probably be doing the whole bubble and fizzing thing for a while. In Siberia they have the ice and snow and the lakes there in full of methane, and when it gets a bit hot the same thing happens as the methane escapes, I think they did a rough calculation that there is enough trapped methane in Siberia that if it all escaped into the atmosphere it would trap all kinds of particles and turn up our temperatures a significant degree, not only making life more difficult for humans but killing whole entire species of plants and animals in the process as the whole planet heats up a bit more. Or some such.

I sometimes watch to see if the area is getting heated and if people put out more vids of the area or other such areas around the globe, plus I like how they set fire to it, especially the vids of drunk Russians setting fire the the ice for fun and almost setting fire to there clothes to and running around swearing.
There are not any new vids of it that I seen but here is one from a few years ago.

edit on 22-8-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Someone posted a video of this area from before a couple of months back I'm sure of it.. they were wondering why the water was going back and forth.. someone suggested a cavern below perhaps.. I left the thread before it was determined =) but this is the same exact angle so I expect whomever was/is recording was monitoring the area and knew what it was..

So .. previous mystery solved

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I've been watching this problem since it started. I have read some very fearful stuff about how much butane and methane etc is in these caverns, but I don't know how serious this is in the sense of exploding. I am sort of hoping we have a knowledgeable geologist on ATS to talk about this. From the data I have read, there is enough butane to equal the effect of 300 Hiroshima explosions though not nuclear. So, what is the chances this thing could actually explode?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by UnifiedSerenity

You worry to much. Of course if you reall want to find out stand near the sink hole and light a match.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Thanks for the info

Very cool video, I liked when they lit the methane bubbles, that geologist looked like she was having far too much fun lol.

Will be interesting to keep track of that area.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Mabey the reptillians under the earth were partying and at the height of their fun the flatulence rised above to earthly levels.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The residents have been told to get out because of a the risk to their health, homes, and explosion. Now they have discovered an ancient volcano in the bay nearby. There are constant earthquakes/ tremors in the area. I would like to hear from a geologist and not just a troll who comments on nearly all of my posts.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join