It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Sinkhole swallows up trees in less than a minute. Louisiana (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Footage shows the moment trees and land were swallowed up by a giant sinkhole in Louisiana.

The Assumption Parish sinkhole near Bayou Corne has been swallowing land since it appeared in August last year. It had been in a dormant period before it picked up activity.
Officials say the 24-acre opening in the earth is growing.
"The sinkhole continues to be active and grow," OEP Director John Boudreaux said.
Boudreaux added that homes are not in danger, and they are updating people who live near the sinkhole often.

24 acres
I would not like to live near that!

Link

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Damn that is scary... no hesitation or question.

Haha why do silly animals think they can dig holes in a ball of dirt and then appear surprised when stuff falls in.

Maybe they could light a fire in it, that would keep it full?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

big enough fire could make some steam

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Gosh, that's extraordinary. And a direct result of what appears to have been an unregulated and illegal mining activity.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing a whole hell of a lot more sinkholes in the future.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Wow, that was insane. The trees didn't fall over, they really just got swallowed like you said; they just descended down like they had no roots below them.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

when god cuts and pastes

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wow, that's neat. Well, as long as it doesn't happen under your house.

I have an underground river on my property and have had some land above it settle over the last twenty years. I used to worry about having it sink into a pond....But Why should I worry
I can plant fish in it and won't have to travel to go fishing

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
One has to ask, how big will this get? I mean... it increases in size daily.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Someone posted a video of this area from before a couple of months back I'm sure of it.. they were wondering why the water was going back and forth.. someone suggested a cavern below perhaps.. I left the thread before it was determined =) but this is the same exact angle so I expect whomever was/is recording was monitoring the area and knew what it was..

So .. previous mystery solved

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Wow, that's neat. Well, as long as it doesn't happen under your house.

I have an underground river on my property and have had some land above it settle over the last twenty years. I used to worry about having it sink into a pond....But Why should I worry
I can plant fish in it and won't have to travel to go fishing

My company has a series of underground springs all around it .. there's a section I have to drive through every day that sinks a bit each year.. so they have to constantly keep repairing the pavement due to cracks ..

That's the thing about underground flowing water.. it erodes the rock i passes through over time.. once the weight above it is too much, it collapses..

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
One have to wonder, how many of todays known lakes and ponds are a result of pre-historic sinkholes. Of course no mining took place back then, but still, sink holes form even without human interferances.
edit on 22-8-2013 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I saw this video on CNN this morning.
Scary stuff!

I'd hate to be holding onto one of those trees, they certainly were not going to float!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

ya..im waiting for the debunkers to try and explain this away,
with edited film or photo shop!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
One has to ask, how big will this get? I mean... it increases in size daily.

what all was dumped there? I bet that some old radioactive waste from ORNL ended up there. Shady sub-contractor subs out work to a sub who subs to a sub, then.. take BIG profits to dispose of rad waste.

who knows what "buddy had a buddy that..." and then the stuff is dumped in a deep hole, hidden, and the perps just got a bIG payday!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The earth gets hungry sometimes.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Someone posted a video of this area from before a couple of months back I'm sure of it.. they were wondering why the water was going back and forth.. someone suggested a cavern below perhaps.. I left the thread before it was determined =) but this is the same exact angle so I expect whomever was/is recording was monitoring the area and knew what it was..

So .. previous mystery solved

This thread you're talking about? Waves at sinkhole

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

And sick, ha

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Appetite for destruction?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
What exactly was that large yellow floating tube/hose?

That video was pretty awesome. It seems like sink holes are becoming commonplace these days. I don't remember hearing that much about them when I was growing up 25 years ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What's up with all of these sink hold lately? They're constantly popping up! Is this a new phenomenon over the past few years or have they always been this active?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Maybe the mole people really wanted some trees.

That is one of the coolest videos i have seen from this sinkhole so far, nice find.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join