It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else thought that Scientology was the belief of Science at some point?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Umm i am pretty sure that would be called bigotry...but as you wish to believe then believe.

To be clear though

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

However, if anyone else is planning on joining a religion based on Science Fiction then can i recommend the one where you get a lightsaber?

edit on 22-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Are you a scientologist? Only curious and would understand if you chose not to answer. I ask wondering your thoughts on Cruise - his weirdness / wives and the fact that the last 2 bolted; and about Lea Remi (I think that is her name.) Her story regarding the missing person and the lawsuit that was in the news.

I did meet a chiropractor / scientologist he always seemed he didn't care for strong willed and intelligent women. I did read through the very large manual of sorts one evening and never really could find out what was the driving force or source to the "religion" was or the appeal. The person had rigid views regarding his Thetan but seemed to have no problem drinking and partaking into illicit drugs that are against t&c to mention.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

It seems that website is rather one-sided... Scientology is not about money, no more than others. Every dollar paid for Scientology services like Dianetic Processing and Assists goes into providing those services and providing the facilities for those services.

Sure people can pay for membership of the IAS (International Association of Scientologists) depending on whatever they want, that is entirely up to them. Likewise people can donate funds to programs or causes for which we hold "Events".

It is very exciting to be helping make the world a better place.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

It's Leah Remini
The "Official" Story

Shelly hasn't appeared at a public Scientology event in more than five years and is believed to be living at a church base east of Los Angeles County, sources told Ortega and the News.
Her mysterious whereabouts made headlines last summer when Holmes filed for divorce from Cruise and sparked new scrutiny of the religion founded by L. Ron Hubbard.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

So she isn't "missing" technically, she just isn't allowed to leave her house.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

So you essentially call any person with moral principles a bigot?

There are so many stupid examples of what you seem to defend, such as child abusers, paedophiles, rapists... Under the definition you have provided one could very easily call any critic of those sexual deviants 'bigots'.

Societies need laws, they need limitations on what members of society can and can't do. Unless of course, you think only those with perverted sexual desires should be given those freedoms...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
reply to post by mcsandy

It's Leah Remini ...

Make me laugh. Next you'll be quoting the Village Voice. Go on, go on... You know they are both seriously discredited and absolutely non-neutral when it comes to Scientology.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

No i generally call anyone with "moral principles" that excludes a portion of the population for their "perversion" bigots....

Are you comparing homosexuals with rapists and child molesters?
I didn't mention any of those things, I just pointed out Scientology's view on homosexuality.....as well as pointing out that the current leader of the church seems to have serious anger issues.....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yea, this thread really doesn't belong in Science and Technology....
And to be clear, i call Rapists and Child Molesters monsters that should die in fashions far too excruciating to detail here....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

No, absolutely I am not comparing homosexuals to rapists and paedophiles.

What I am saying is that to attack a person or a belief because it promotes a morality that is counter to the interests of what is statistically a perversion (i.e. homosexuality), by saying that such a belief is bigoted because the belief opposes the acceptance of someone/thing on the basis of a person's "(...) sexual orientation, (...) or other characteristics" is not sufficient to make such a belief bigoted.

If such a belief and expression that sexual orientation and/or other characteristics (in this case cite rapists and paedophiles) were unjustified then sure it would be bigotry. But being gay is a statistical anomaly, a perversion, and homosexuality does not assist the survival of the species in any way - so how can a criticism of gay relationships be called bigoted when the assertion of perversion is true?

Maybe I have not quite formulated my argument succinctly, but I think through logic one can see that a person or faith that is critical of gay rights is not necessarily bigoted.

I respect your argument. My beliefs are my own.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

There are roughly Four hundred and twenty million gay people or more currently alive today, that is more then the population of the United States. How is that a statistical anomaly?

But as you wish, i digress.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Yeah, maybe the thread has sort of lost its way and could be somewhere else. Regardless, I've had my fill and am off to locate an interesting aliens or ufo thread.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blister
Maybe the best way to see Scientology is to find out for yourself. It is the study of knowledge.

Knowledge that its founder Hubbard lied about his war career and a lot of other things as well.... Oh and do not forget Xenu, dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs!

And they really want you to give them all your money.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Maybe the best way to see Scientology is to find out for yourself. It is the study of knowledge.

Knowledge that its founder Hubbard lied about his war career and a lot of other things as well.... Oh and do not forget Xenu, dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and killed them using hydrogen bombs!

And they really want you to give them all your money.

Id say this sums it up right here.

Dianetics was poorly received by the press and the scientific and medical professions.[150] The American Psychological Association criticized Hubbard's claims as "not supported by empirical evidence".[57] Scientific American said that Hubbard's book contained "more promises and less evidence per page than any publication since the invention of printing",[151] while The New Republic called it a "bold and immodest mixture of complete nonsense and perfectly reasonable common sense, taken from long acknowledged findings and disguised and distorted by a crazy, newly invented terminology".[152] Some of Hubbard's fellow science fiction writers also criticized it; Isaac Asimov considered it "gibberish"[68] while Jack Williamson called it "a lunatic revision of Freudian psychology".

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
When I was little I heard about Scientology (well I wasn't that little) and I didn't think anything of it but thought it was someone that believed in Science over religion. I was somewhere in my early 20's when I learned what Scientology really was about but I find it amusing that Scientology doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

I thought it made sense, I mean Science and Theology put into one = Scientology. I hope I'm not the only one that thought about this as a kid.
Too bad though, there needs to be a word that describes someone that firmly believes in science like a religion. I don't necessarily hold that belief but isn't there such a word?

To mods: I was confused on where to place this topic, either in religion or science, so I picked science since it seems more relevant here.

It was probably Hubbard's intention to confuse people. And those who were upset with regular religion but looking to put faith into something or worship "science" probably thought they were actually in a scientific world worshiping Xenu from planet "make $#!^ up for money".

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

reply to post by gotya

I really would suggest you find out more about Scientology, for yourself, if you haven't done so already.

Show some independence and visit your local Church of Scientology, have a cup of tea, watch a video, chat with the staff, really see what it is about. I know many people instantly diss Scientology, but it has truly helped millions feel better about themselves and go on to happier and more prosperous lives.

Yes, this is why it is BANNED in other countries.

Scientology is a CULT based on an absurd theory where people have to pay money to "advance". It's brainwashing per excellence.

The fact that some people who have no idea what Scientology is and then spread nonsense like "it's the study of knowledge" is frightening.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I knew nothing about Scientology up to a few years ago, then I learned quite a bit.....

Scientology is a complete fraud, yeah they will teach you how to learn or whatever, but at an extremely high price. They do teach spirituality to an extent so the courses are not necessarily bad, but its never-ending. And co$tly.

I know this for a fact as my brother is a member (I obviously disagree but it's his call).

He HAS TO take course after course after course, its been 2 years and he is "in class" 6 nights a week until like 22h00. And those courses aren't free either they cost thousands. All they do is ask for donation donation donation on top of that (they give you a nice T-shirt if you donate though
). Okay! He says he isn't forced to take the courses but they will call him almost every day untill he registers for one for a price if he asn't attended one in a short while, gotta keep the money flowing in right!

When he enrollled, they asked him if he had family members in the police, FBI, CSIS, NSA, RCMP, etc etc. If he had, he would not have been accepted in. I would have left the place running and screamming if I was asked that question....something isnt right there am I wrong.

My son takes medication and when he told "them" about it, they wanted to call child protection on me because I was apparently forcing it onto my own child. Its a damn prescription. I see his pediatrician every 2 months and this for the past 2 years.

I own the Dianetics Book written by Hubbard, as well as the DVD, A thoughtfull gift from my brother (or the church), SOLLICITATION MUCH!!!!

I have to admit thay he seems happy in what he is doing there even though he gives them pretty much all his money, but I can also say that since he joined, I dont recognize my brother and we were really close. Anything we talk about, turns into scientology in an instant....its sad really.

edit on 22-8-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

edit on 22-8-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
When I was little I heard about Scientology (well I wasn't that little) and I didn't think anything of it but thought it was someone that believed in Science over religion. I was somewhere in my early 20's when I learned what Scientology really was about but I find it amusing that Scientology doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

I thought it made sense, I mean Science and Theology put into one = Scientology. I hope I'm not the only one that thought about this as a kid.
Too bad though, there needs to be a word that describes someone that firmly believes in science like a religion. I don't necessarily hold that belief but isn't there such a word?

To mods: I was confused on where to place this topic, either in religion or science, so I picked science since it seems more relevant here.

S+F because I thought scientology was going to be all about science too until I read up about them
Why did they pick such a name lol

I think Atheism suits some scientific minds better

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

It seems that website is rather one-sided... Scientology is not about money, no more than others. Every dollar paid for Scientology services like Dianetic Processing and Assists goes into providing those services and providing the facilities for those services.

Sure people can pay for membership of the IAS (International Association of Scientologists) depending on whatever they want, that is entirely up to them. Likewise people can donate funds to programs or causes for which we hold "Events".

If Scientology is not about money, why do they charge for required courses? Scientology is not a religion, it is a scam perpetrated by a second rate sci-fi author who discovered that he could make more money with this than with writing bad sci-fi. The bad sci-fi carried over into his story of the arrival with the volcanoes and H-bombs. Rumor has it that Hubbard bet a fellow writer that he could invent a religion and have people believe it. It succeeded beyond his expectations so he went with it. The poor souls who buy into it [literally] are drained of their resources. Apostates are harassed. It has accelerated downhill since Miscavige took the helm.

I see from a later post that you are abandoning this thread. The "pay for pray" aspect is really indefensible, isn't it.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

If Scientology is not about money, why do they charge for required courses? Scientology is not a religion, it is a scam perpetrated by a second rate sci-fi author who discovered that he could make more money with this than with writing bad sci-fi. The bad sci-fi carried over into his story of the arrival with the volcanoes and H-bombs. Rumor has it that Hubbard bet a fellow writer that he could invent a religion and have people believe it. It succeeded beyond his expectations so he went with it. The poor souls who buy into it [literally] are drained of their resources. Apostates are harassed. It has accelerated downhill since Miscavige took the helm.

I see from a later post that you are abandoning this thread. The "pay for pray" aspect is really indefensible, isn't it.

Theres alot about L Ron Hubbard people dont know he swindled money out of John Parsons had him invest his entire fortune in a scheme to sell yachts. he was nothing more then a con man was even arrested for petty theft. was involved with alistair crowley. And did sexual magic supposedly to summon a goddess. I let Richard Metzger explain.

Parsons and Hubbard collaborated on the "Babalon Working", a sex magic ritual intended to summon an incarnation of Babalon, the supreme Thelemite Goddess. It was undertaken over several nights in February and March 1946 in order to summon an "elemental" who would participate in further sex magic Parsons used his "magical wand" to whip up a vortex of energy so the elemental would be summoned while .Hubbard scanned the astral plane for signs and visions.

So have you figured out what his magic wand was in the sex ritual????

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join