It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody else thought that Scientology was the belief of Science at some point?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
When I was little I heard about Scientology (well I wasn't that little) and I didn't think anything of it but thought it was someone that believed in Science over religion. I was somewhere in my early 20's when I learned what Scientology really was about but I find it amusing that Scientology doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

I thought it made sense, I mean Science and Theology put into one = Scientology. I hope I'm not the only one that thought about this as a kid.
Too bad though, there needs to be a word that describes someone that firmly believes in science like a religion. I don't necessarily hold that belief but isn't there such a word?

To mods: I was confused on where to place this topic, either in religion or science, so I picked science since it seems more relevant here.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Honest mistake but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

The idea's are fun to think about but how much do I have to pay again?

Yeah....

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Yes, I believed that until I was probably 20ish years old. We were taught in school that Scientology was a religion based on science, and they believed in the Big Bang Theory and it was based on that.

I was a working, professional adult before I discovered that was way, way wrong.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Maybe the best way to see Scientology is to find out for yourself. It is the study of knowledge.

Scientology: Scio (Latin) "knowing, in the fullest sense of the word," logos (Greek) "study of." Thus Scientology means "knowing how to know."

www.scientology.org...

That knowledge is about everything that makes you who you are. Scientologists call this the "Eight Dynamics". The more your urge across all of these dynamics the better your chances of survival.

At the heart of Scientology is the discovery of engrams and their effects upon the mind and body. L. Ron Hubbard researched and wrote extensively on this, creating a new field of science called "Dianetics".

So Scientology whilst being very practical religion that should be applied by an individual to achieve the highest level of survival possible for as long as possible, actually rests upon the ability to improve one's own spiritual being.

www.youtube.com...

As for Scientology being the religion of science? Well, the following statement is known by all Scientologists:

Nothing in Scientology is true for you unless you have observed it and it is true according to your observation.

www.scientology.org...

And that surely, is one of the great tests of knowledge - a key aspect of science.
edit on 21-8-2013 by Blister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I just figured it was some made up nonsense like all the other religions.

Does it matter?

Honestly if I lined all the religious nut jobs up in a row could you pick one from the other?

Again does it matter?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotya
I just figured it was some made up nonsense like all the other religions.

Does it matter?

Honestly if I lined all the religious nut jobs up in a row could you pick one from the other?

Again does it matter?

Well, gotya, most human beings do believe in a religion of some sort. Sort of makes those that don't seem the odd ones out, now doesn't it? That's just an observation.

An interesting fact is that Scientology not only accepts other religions, but to some extent embraces other faiths. Religion statistics website www.adherents.com... has this to say about Scientology viz-a-vis other faiths:

Membership in the Church of Scientology does not necessarily preclude membership in another religious organization. A percentage of the claimed members will indeed affirm membership in the organization, while at the same time citing another religion as their primary religious preference.

www.adherents.com...

A key aspect of Scientology is to respect all people and all religion. No hatred, no racism, no bigotry. Surely every human can support those principles?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Unless your gay or choose to question their leader, then your SOL....
Scientology and Homosexuality

In 1950 Hubbard published Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health, introducing his "science of the mind," Dianetics. He classified homosexuality as an illness or sexual perversion, citing contemporary psychiatric and psychological textbooks to support his view:
"The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in Dynamic II [i.e. sexuality] such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, etc., and all down the catalog of Ellis and Krafft-Ebing) is actually quite ill physically... he is very far from culpable for his condition, but he is also far from normal and extremely dangerous to society..."[1]
Hubbard further defined perversion in his 1951 book Science of Survival: Prediction of Human Behavior. Here he introduced the concept of the "tone scale", a means of classifying individuals and human behaviour on a chart running from +40 (the most beneficial) to -40 (the least beneficial). Sexual perversion, a category in which he included homosexuality, was termed "covert hostility" and given a score of 1.1, "the level of the pervert, the hypocrite, the turncoat, ... the subversive." Such people were "skulking coward[s] who yet contain[s] enough perfidious energy to strike back, but not enough courage ever to give warning."[2]

David Miscavige

Tobin and Childs have continued to report on Miscavige in subsequent years. In 2009, the St. Petersburg Times published a series titled "The Truth Rundown," which featured allegations by former high-ranking executives of Scientology that Miscavige routinely humiliates and physically beats his staff, and holds many members of top strata of the organization in confinement in degrading conditions in a group of double-wide trailers on the Scientology "Gold Base" property in Hemet, known as "The Hole." [6][29] The series included testimony from Mike Rinder, former director of the organization's Office of Special Affairs who for years had been the official spokesperson for Scientology, and Mark Rathbun, the former Inspector General of the Religious Technology Center. Rinder attests that he was physically assaulted by Miscavige on about 50 occasions.[6] According to Rathbun, Miscavige is "constantly denigrating and beating on people."[6] These allegations have been supported by many other former Scientologists: Lawrence Wright, author of Going Clear, interviewed twelve individuals who reported having been personally attacked by Miscavige and twenty-one people who witnessed such attacks firsthand.[46] The Church of Scientology denies all of these reports.[47]

edit on 22-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
no reply. I'm not going to argue religion anymore. Believe what ewe want.
edit on 22-8-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

The Jedi Church is still pretty clean.

JEDI Church

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
When I was little I heard about Scientology (well I wasn't that little) and I didn't think anything of it but thought it was someone that believed in Science over religion. I was somewhere in my early 20's when I learned what Scientology really was about but I find it amusing that Scientology doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

I thought it made sense, I mean Science and Theology put into one = Scientology. I hope I'm not the only one that thought about this as a kid.
Too bad though, there needs to be a word that describes someone that firmly believes in science like a religion. I don't necessarily hold that belief but isn't there such a word?

To mods: I was confused on where to place this topic, either in religion or science, so I picked science since it seems more relevant here.

Wellit is a belief in science fiction so you were close.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

I have no idea what you are trying to say. And what's with the two long quotes?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
reply to post by gotya

The Jedi Church is still pretty clean.

JEDI Church

Hmmm....a Jedi you say? Maybe.....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

I really would suggest you find out more about Scientology, for yourself, if you haven't done so already.

Show some independence and visit your local Church of Scientology, have a cup of tea, watch a video, chat with the staff, really see what it is about. I know many people instantly diss Scientology, but it has truly helped millions feel better about themselves and go on to happier and more prosperous lives.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

A key aspect of Scientology is to respect all people and all religion. No hatred, no racism, no bigotry. Surely every human can support those principles?

Just pointing out that Scientology is in fact full of hatred and bigotry.....

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

Maybe I will but first I'm going to check out the Jedi Church. (no disrespect.)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Just stay away from the Dark Side....

There is one all powerful force that binds the entire universe together. It is "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together". This is a concept that most religions of the world concur with. Some refer to it as their deity, some refer to it as a life force, but the one thing nearly all religions agree with, is that there exists a single unifying force.

There are 2 sides to the force, the dark side and the light side. "Beware of the dark side... The dark side leads to fear. Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering". Good versus Evil is a common element through most religions. The issues of good versus evil, right versus wrong permeate through the doctrines of all religions. Most religions attempt to state what is right and wrong, to establish their moral code. Sometimes religions make codes that don't reach a great consensus. Outsiders, and sometime insiders, begin to judge their religious code by something more powerful, something more innate, an innate ability to know what is right and wrong. This is the Jedi's belief, that morality, good and evil, are all axioms of the force, and that we must listen to the force so that we will know the right thing to do.

Can good exist without evil? The Jedi believe that good and evil are only axioms of the all powerful and unifying force. The force contains all that is good and all that is bad. We all are free and sentient beings who have the capability to do good or evil. It is our choice of direction that determines if we do good or evil. The existence of good and evil is necessary for freewill.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Blister

Is that true? Can black gay people join your church?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

reply to post by Blister

Er, I don't think that promoting traditional family values and reproductive structures is bigotry.

Neither is the promotion of heterosexual relationships, and opposing same-sex 'relationships' - that by any measure of the norm, are perverted and largely non-productive.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

This link www.xenu.net... has a great deal of information on pros and cons.

Money is key. As of 2006;
"The current (conservative) total cost for the whole bridge to OT9 readiness is estimated at $365,000 - $380,000."
www.xenu.net...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by gotya

Yes. I know it is hard to accept, but there is nothing to stop them. I am sure the scriptures would be highly beneficial to any gay person. Just my opinion though.

You asked - so don't complain.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join