It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious ‘horned’ sea monster washes ashore in Spain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Found this on Yahoo - pretty strange looking creature.

"A mysterious sea creature featuring what appear to be horns on its head was discovered in the advanced stages of decomposition along the shoreline of Luis Siret Beach in Villaricos, Spain, on Thursday.

A woman first discovered the head and then found the body farther down the beach, according to ThinkSpain.com. The entire carcass with the head stretched 13 feet."

Sea Creature

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have a feeling people think you're posting sensational content.

Gotta admit, we were surprised. er. My wife and I. I'm.. not... usually that crazy.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Oarfish + Fukushima = Oarfish with horns.

Seriously, it looks very strange. The body does look like an oarfish but I have no clue what those "horns" could be. Perhaps it is two different organisms, either way I wish we had clearer pictures of the head to analyze.

Thanks for sharing though, it's really cool.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
looks like some kind of prehistoric eel to me which wouldn't surprise me since the discovery of the giant squid.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Looking at the other pictures from the article, I'd say this is in an advanced state of decomposition. You can see the vertebrae. Their is another "head" with bigger horns a little further away... Me thinks its ribs.
edit on 21-8-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Could that be the inside of a sea animal like a spinal column??? Things look strange when its in the decaying process...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
looks like a highly decomposed oarfish

Wikipedia

Oarfish are large, greatly elongated, pelagic Lampriform fishes comprising the small family Regalecidae.[1] Found in all temperate to tropical oceans yet rarely seen, the oarfish family contains four species in two genera. One of these, the king of herrings (Regalecus glesne), is the longest bony fish alive, at up to 17 metres (56 ft) in length.[2][3] The common name oarfish is presumably in reference to either their highly compressed and elongated bodies, or to the former (but now discredited) belief that the fish "row" themselves through the water with their pelvic fins.[4] The family name Regalecidae is derived from the Latin regalis, meaning "royal". The occasional beachings of oarfish after storms, and their habit of lingering at the surface when sick or dying, make oarfish a probable source of many sea serpent tales.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
S & F

I must say that's a rather interesting find. I dunno, I guess there may still be things in our oceans/lakes that we just still don't know about...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
look's like a Gyarados to me

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Pretty strange looking whatever it is. It would be nice to see it while it was alive. I feel that the ocean still has a lot of creatures in it that we have not discovered. People through history may have seen them but never informed anyone about them. Someone could be eating fish that we do not know exists and biologists would not know.

They recently discovered a new species of fruit eating reptile on the back of a local person on some Island. The native was taking his kill to his village for a traditional cookout.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Just anuddar reason why Randy don't not go'ina ocean ! Nope na-uh !
Not me !

SnF

look's like a Gyarados to me

Does anyone think it looks like a sea serpent ? I mean come -on !

edit on 21-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
interesting pics, and that one pic that someone posted looked close...don't know for sure what it is

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, considering that 95% of the earths oceans are unexplored, I guess an unknown sea creature would not be out of the realm of possibilities. In this case, I guess time will tell.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I would say its a rare version of a Narwhal with two horns....it happens.
Wiki

Oh and it should be noted that this was in the article...

Toledano did shed some light on the horns of the sea creature, however. He said they are actually bones that have fallen out of place.

edit on 21-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

WTF is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT - Nevermind it's a "whatuchamakalit" my brother's sister-in-law's second wife's cousin's son caught one 23 years ago.
edit on 21-8-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I thought that it looked like the carcass of the terrifying alien in the movie Alien. I found on that same site this pic.

If anybody watched Shark week where they filmed the bottom of the ocean in depths that have never been explored they found some very large and unusual shark creatures of the deep. My active mind didn't wait to hear the entire episode but I wonder what other creatures they could have found? As someone else mentioned, I would believe that any fish could have the ability to look really creepy if you throw a in nuclear cocktail the gene pool. Reminds me of an episode of extreme fisherman, Jeremy Wade I think. He fished for a mutated man eating monster in Chernobyl and couldn't find a sign of it. So therefore it COULD NOT EXIST. [sarcasm] editby]edit on 21-8-2013 by mcsandy because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2013 by mcsandy because: sacarsm quote

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

no it's a whatuchamakalit.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Smells fishy to me

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Is it me or do the pictures provided seem like two of the same thing?

The article says she found the head first, but in that first pic it looks like the head is attached. Also the horns on the detached head look a lil different then the ones were the head seems attached.

Wish they had gotten some better pics.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mcsandy

lol I followed your link!

I would never try to eat a half-eaten unknown fish!

But I would have kept a piece for scientists to analyze tho.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join