It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Moons: Miranda

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
An interesting topic and well presented.

It reminded me of a 70s childhood, and the magic days when super science mingled with the bright stuff of dreams.

S&F

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
Well, I guess we will really know when the privatized space firms decide to stake an interest in Space mining.
Miranda is too far, but closer we have our moon and off course mars moon.
The asteroid belt seems a little bold, then again this whole venture is bold to say the least.
Your right though, some of these moons are straight I'm going to need a 12pk to tackle this one.
The real wealth would be sending a probe their and checking it out for ourselves.
I've always imagine small outpost throughout our solar system with 2 to 3 man crews, who are capable of living in small confined spaces for years, its going to be a lifetime job, but hey! as long as you keep sending me food and the latest videogames, movies and "RealDoll", Ill be a happy camper reporting in daily on the strange activities of the far away places in our solar system.

From what I understand, the current theories on planet formation suggest that as the parent star is forming, it's spinning mass is in the direction of spin that the material it started to accumulate from was moving.
This is completely random as all stars spin and have their physical axis of rotation in different ways than our sun (ie all stars do not spin in the same direction as our sun, nor are their poles tilted at the same amount as our sun. ).

As the material disk forms it starts to spin in a direction (clockwise or counter clockwise). As the star forms, any material that is outside of it and going to form into planets will also be spinning in the same direction.

I seem to recall seeing a video of a spinning water tank using dyes to show this. The dyes placed around the center of spin would also start to spin in the same direction, with only the rare instance of that not happening, but spinning in the opposite direction.

As for Venus and Uranus spinning in different directions: there are several theories as to why.

One of them is what I just said: the video I watched showed that once in a while a eddy or two would not spin in the same direction.

Another theory is that both Venus and Uranus suffered a great calamity early on that caused them to flip physically over: IE Uranus get's hit with a large planetary body that knocks it literally over on it's side, and that something like this also happened to Venus and flipped the planet almost literally up side down to where it's physical North pole is now where the south pole would be.

A study done in 2006 suggests that Venus may of had a moon from a impact event like the Impact Theory for Earth's moon, but that 10 million years later, the moon that formed decayed in orbit and impacted Venus again.

And again, for Uranus the theory is that it was hit by a Earth sized planet early in the formation of the solar system and literally knocked it over.

But without a time machine and a camera, all we have are theories on it.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Aliens mining Miranda... ha ha h. This is why I love ATS. It really really funny.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7
Aliens mining Miranda... ha ha h. This is why I love ATS. It really really funny.

well.. you said it ..

the OP didn't, so if you had read the OP.. you'd already know this is NOT what he's saying..

welcome to ATS newb

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadMax7

While I didn't say that it must be that.......I can't leave it:

You find it funny....why?

Can you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that 2.5 billion years ago that no alien fleet went through our solar system?

How about 1 million years ago a single small scout alien ship passed through our solar system? Can you prove that it didn't?

Can you prove, beyond....any.....shadow of a doubt.....that somewhere on Miranda, there is no very small bore hole made by an alien craft to take a sample or pull some ore.......just 1000 years ago? That Miranda's scars are natural......but that somewhere, beyond the resolution of Cassini.....is a small hole used to drill for something?

Can you?

I can't. And I don't think anyone can actually. Prove it right or wrong.

So, I'm glad you found it amusing.......just not sure why.

Do you find the idea of intelligent life out there in the universe amusing?
edit on 22-8-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
looks similar to what a glacier does when sliding along the rock surface.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
You could clearly see an artificial work going on, it was so massive that you could detect it from space. It does look like a street pavement like we do on our streets however, it's not at all, but whatever it was, it was so massive that only advanced civilization could carry such work. Imagine who would have such technology to dare come near Jupiter. Jupiter which is a dwarf sun in the making.
edit on 23-8-2013 by BristolStew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Eriktheawful

Can you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that 2.5 billion years ago that no alien fleet went through our solar system?
How about 1 million years ago a single small scout alien ship passed through our solar system? Can you prove that it didn't?
Can you prove, beyond....any.....shadow of a doubt.....that somewhere on Miranda, there is no very small bore hole made by an alien craft to take a sample or pull some ore.......just 1000 years ago? That Miranda's scars are natural......but that somewhere, beyond the resolution of Cassini.....is a small hole used to drill for something?
Can you?
I can't. And I don't think anyone can actually. Prove it right or wrong.
So, I'm glad you found it amusing.......just not sure why.
Do you find the idea of intelligent life out there in the universe amusing?

Yet... some of us cannot conceive that these same possibilies exist for the Earth(or the Moon, or Mars, for that matter). In fact the same aliens may have taken up residence under the sea, or in out-of-the-way places which are very hostile to humans. That way, they know that they have millenia before human technology to be developed to dive to those depths or to go to those hostile places. There are still plenty of places on Earth we have not explored.

It is unusual for natural processes to form right angles and some of these grooves show corners. Not unheard of, of course, but strange. Some more links to the nice pictures you have used would be good too. :-) Great thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spader
reply to post by johnrobca

That was a well thought out and fascinating post. I have a passing interest in astronomy, and over the last few years I have come the thought that the moons of our solor system are more interesting and hold many more secrets than the planets they orbit.

I defintely agree with you there .. the moons seem to be so diverse in make up that the secrets they hold will be fascinating to hear about

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Some people laugh at me when I suggest the MSM "distort" the truth .... there are blinkered people everywhere .... its the "thinking outside the box" and "speculation" that make humans great ... but some people just dont have it so they laugh .... but we know what it makes them look like?

Great work ... just reading through the new moon thread now

edit on 23-8-2013 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I know its most likely not the reason, but I always visualized some HUGE abandoned mining operation. Maybe a starship made a stop in our system eons ago and they mined Miranda for water. Its definitely on the top ten list for weirdest objects in the solar system.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
A most interesting thread you have started here. I love the idea of traveller's through our own solar system, galaxy and universe. We do not truly have any idea of what is out there within our own planetary context, so why the bold scepticism towards ideology within our solar system. Meh, some just don't like others thoughts outright I believe. Solid thread.

Here is the link to Nasa's page on Miranda, I hadn't noticed it posted as yet.
solarsystem.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join