It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "I'm A Special Snowflake" Generation -- Another Social Engineering Scam

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I was somewhat a bubble kid, one that rebelled pretty early and took half
my life trying to mend and sort my life out from an overbearing mother.

I know a lot may not be fans but Howard stern used to talk about how bad his mother was when he was growing up.
He may exaggerate but I could relate that on some many levels.

This new snowflake generation is very much true too, I don't like to hate AT ALL on anyone however
I have friends who have children who practically have no discipline and are told how artistic they are from something not very artistic at all.

Some of this is likely bitterness in me that a parent would gloat over such little things when in fact when I was a child I had all my decisions made for me but some of it is almost troll worthy without any of that.

I know an 18yr old 'artist' who has been an artist since he was 5 drawing on walls in crayons, Me i'd have been killed (not literally) but he was celebrated, and now 13yrs on, doing a diploma in art and everyone celebrates it, I've probably strayed off topic. /Therapy session over

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I was trying to point that out, that we need to change and stop treating our children this way.

I think everyone can agree on that so some extent. But you've also got to put it into context. Something I see brought up constantly is how schools and society treat everyone equally, as if that's a bad thing. Complaining that they reward failure.

Lets get something straight, they reward participation. It was hard enough to get kids active and doing things before the constant barrage of social media, portable games, and internet. Getting lardass little timmy out on a field, even if he sucks donkey balls at football, IS an achievement.

But this brings up your main point, I think, you've got to prepare the kids for failure, and how to deal with it. That's a fact, and without that, you are setting them up for a rude awakening. But the other side to that is a hard to swallow fact when you are a kid, and even an adult:

There will always be someone better at something than you. Lets use sports as an example. Timmy might suck at sports. traditionally, he'd just not take part, why bother? The only reward is ridicule from your coach and teammate, why even take part? that's where the reward comes in, just taking part DOES count. But the prospect of failure must be present, without risk, can there even be a reward?

you've got angry parents verbally and physically abusing teachers if their kids don't do as good as they think they should, or don't get enough field time and spend too much time on the bench. I've seen this. I've seen a highschool kids father get arrested for attacking a coach for not putting his son in enough during a game.

i'm not blaming the teachers, at all, I'm blaming the system that's taken all power from them, and handed it to the parents, who don't give two craps about anyone but their child. So, the easy answer cop-out is to just blanket everyone with the same rewards.

The world kids live in today is so far removed from what even I remember as a kid, it's hard to relate to. Those poor kids are doing work in middle school and highschool people like me didn't do until college. They are doped up, standardized tested, and micromanaged to the point of suicide, as we already know.

This is a lot bigger than a "generation of entitled kids". And, in fact, it's not even that many of them.

I love your loose association to Occupy, mentioning kids protesting for no reason. See, just because you didn't listen, doesn't mean they didn't have a reason, they had too many reasons, but all of those people had a few core concerns they all agreed on, but were ignored because it was funner to make fun of them.

Those kids, and not all of them were spoiled rich kids by any stretch, took to the streets and tried to demand action and response from the government, they DID something. and yet, that's still not enough is it?

If you dump the world on the shoulders of your 13 year old, you should fully expect them to demand the world by age 18. and it's a far different world than you or I grew up in. A generation of parents failed their kids, that's a fact, so resenting the kids is kind of silly in my opinion.

And tiresome. It's like once a week or so I feel I'm reading the same "good ole days are gone and kids are entitled and spoiled" thread.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think it is all about perspective. There are so many things I could say to show you my perspective but, I am pushing the boundaries of what I feel is appropriate for me to say. Many conversations that I feel just aren't mine to reveal. Privacy and all that. The difference between want and need is a loooooooong conversation I have had many times with the kids. I think that is the root of the problem. IMO their misunderstanding of 'need' brings about the 'entitled attitude' that they exhibit. As for how they got their electronic devices? A friend of the family 'gave' them against our express wishes. Then we were left with the fall out of emotions as we dealt with the consequences. Basically, I have a hard time seeing it as anything but entitlement when I have a 20 year old living in my home, refusing to get a job, playing video games all day and acting like doing a simple chore like taking out the trash is some hugh favor. It caused many a fight between my partner and myself. She tried to get him to understand that he needed to earn something and contribute, not just live off of us. He finally joined the military and seems to be getting a clue.

As for the attitude of never being able to afford a car? I can see your point in some respects but, it still comes down to an entitled attitude to me. "I can't afford it but I know you will provide it for me." No need to even try with that type of attitude.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
And let's not forget the music they are listening to.

“It isn’t enough to say that Elvis is kind to his parents, sends money home, and is the same unspoiled kid he was before all the commotion began. That still isn’t a free ticket to behave like a sex maniac in public.” -Eddie Condon, "Cosmopolitan," December 1956.

The truth is.

Every generation complains about the next.

Once the complaints were because "kids" were spending to much time with their Phonograph. Now it's the Iphone.

I'm sure the "Snowflakes" of today will be complaining about their kids twenty years hence.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

I did and I only got it once. Never got caught again. In other words, I weighed my chances of not getting caught and they had to be 80% or better.

On another note, I sometimes reflect on how I treated my daughters growing up. A lot of the time, I was a prick but there were times I let crap slide. I am unsure what I regret most but I think the latter. I did spare the rod but their mother didn't. As it should be..

On the other hand, both are hard workers and earn their own keep and both are terrified of the looming taxes Obama Care will bring. Both are 20 somethings but they are totally plugged into whats going on. That was another one of my propaganda routines when they were going up. Complaining about government over reach for 20 plus years had an impact. That along with my famous "George Jefferson, Archie Bunkerisms" on life in general...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hmmm... I suggest we of the tougher generations kick some sense into them at every opportunity... when no one is looking, of course. Set 'em straight fast it will.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy my Darwinian advantage over those mewling pansies and use their weakness to boost my cynical, non-special ego...

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I am 21 years old. I am definitely not one of those kids you speak of. But most of my peers are. Still being sheltered and helped by their parents still thinking they are special etc. I type this from the tent I currently reside in. I'm not a bum I've never taken any charity I kill and eat wild animals and purify my own water. I am currently unemployed and since my parents won't help me or even let me sleep in their home I'm forced to fend for myself. I do get a little resentful at times because I know my peers would never be in my situation. I don't expect my parents to care or help me I just think it would be nice and I know if the role was reversed I would help them. I haven't done anything wrong to get where I'm at today. The reason unemployed is because my girlfriend and I used to take care of her great grandmother who was 93 in her home 24/7. I got paid through a company called public partnerships llc. She died may 7th and I got a temp job at a factory shortly after. It expired after a month and I was unemployed again. I have a good job history with management experience yet it hasn't seemed to help me so far. I continue to job search every single day and the only thing that keeps me going is wanting to be there for my girlfriend.

The reason I posted is to show that there are a few of us awakened youth and all hope is not lost.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I'm also one of those in their 20's that was not a bubble kid - In my family, the mentality was that as kids, we would eventually learn that nothing was free, and if it was, then someone was trying to sell it to us.

I still find it funny as to how many of my friends needed the latest & greatest technology. I mean, back in highschool if you owned a laptop, it had to have Vista on it to be cool (I was using an old XP laptop, and was proud to be one of the few that had a Core Duo processor and none of the annoyances of that Vista junk). Even now, I'd love to have an Alienware, but I'm putting that money towards loan payments (when everything is paid off, then I'll buy one as a present).

Part of it is parenting, but the other part is lack of motivation. For example, some of my friends have yet to find a job, because they were raised getting everything they wanted (even my S.O. was like that). While they had their degrees paid for, I had to work to obtain mine (now, the degree is done, and I'm working full time making a fair amount for my skillset - and most of them are still working at McDonalds, or not working at all). So, when graduation came along, they had no idea how hard it is to live & work when your parents are gone.

Not everyone in their 20's is a snowflake, either - I'd say it's more like a 50/50 scenario (either you are, or you are not). I may not be a millionaire, but I am making enough to live & have a little left over.

-fossilera

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

I think one telling observation is how we are not allowed to discriminate how we used to In the past people would be wasters, trouble, from the wrong part of town, up to no good. You cant say any of that now. This has the spin off in that the people causing trouble in society are just as good as anyone else and as capable of achieving and we cant call them derogatory names.

Further, our media conjures a perfectly well balanced image of society where hells angels buy 'branded' car insurance and street wise negroes are careful to wear just the right fashions, etc etc. And of course the perfect housewives and their perfect lives even though they are 'black'. Not that all blacks are unable to run a home, but most of them, as well as a large proportion of whites, are not detergent clean with brand new carpet.

Each day I stand in line at Wallmart behind fat assed women, thats the reality, but we cant say that now. They are just challenged etc etc.

My point is, that I dont think its as much that kids are being put on more of a pedestal but rather that we HAVE to put all of them on the equal pedistal, no matter how stupid they are.

I live in a 99% black area and I can see all the propoganda. The other day I saw a advert in the street for the bus and it was a black man in a shirt and suit saying 'Im a proud commuter on the bus everyday' etc like everyones a business man and works in an office.

You really dont see refuse collectors in adverts who favorite past time is masterbating. You hardly ever see manual laberours portrayed correctly, they are always models and in clean uniforms.

The whole system is designed to pacify and control the masses. Thats why we are all 'snowflake kids' because they want as smooth a ride as possible. After 10 years in collage and a job in a call center you come out at 40 years of age and realise it was all a lie.

In fact, I have a massive hatred now of people telling me 'your good at that' which used to make me wag my tail, but when you realise its the managers way of pacifying you and making you work harder you change your mind. They'll say that regardless. They say it at school, collage, university and work and then make you redundent.

Kids are different, you cant call them fat, ugly, stupid, boring or useless.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Keven

Interesting to see how long you last in a tent before you get ill.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I just hope i die in the next 365 days.

totally ok with it

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

I was thinking today about how crap our music is and decided that society went pear shaped in the 70's.

We used to have Bob Dylan, mixing up the medicine and complaining about the government

These days we have Justin Beiber.

I think Bob Dylan would be arrested for inciting terrorism, not to mention all the other freedom thinkers of the era.

Even Heavy Metal had an edge in the 70's and 80's.

The 'hate' music is relegated to rap and the social margins are now defined by colour.

Our nations have been divided and conqured.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
I just hope i die in the next 365 days.

totally ok with it

Your too good to die. Your special, like a snowflake and full of potential. All you need to do is dream a dream and make it come true.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by brookster18

I'm just doing the best I can with what I have until I can work for more

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
lol "Im a special snowflake" I love that expression

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

I was born in '88 so i've heard this stuff my entire life, but honestly it was one of the first obvious bit of disinformation that i caught onto (I think tee-ball and soccer games where everyone gets a trophy kinda gave me something to contemplate while sitting on the bench..)
but nowadays this agenda is really gone into a full assault on everyone; not just children.
it's a lie that is almost too tempting to believe because in a sense, we ARE all individuals with different backgrounds and memories; always occupying individual spaces and times.
but then our intuitive understanding of this is exploited when we are all taught to attempt (never succeed) in emulating celebrities and essentially "admitting" that the truly WORTHWHILE "individuals" have already been found and just sit back and watch the professionals do what you wish you were doing..
and once people have had that programmed aspiration crushed, even the truly original people are tempted to seek a good comfortable crowd to be apart of and continue playing the game that is truly not winnable (or if you consider becoming a celebrity "winning", then i must consider the game as worthwhile as "candyland"..)

just remember when "pop-punk" preached individuality and then encouraged conformity and popularized the uniform found in that scene (which can still be purchased at any hot-topic)
but now that mentality has just been spread to every possible "sub-culture" and basically one of the bigger messes that marketing has ever made of sincere, emergent, cultural phenomena...

okay sorry, rant over!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikegrouchy

What an irritating bloke. But an interesting definition.

If thats what your reffering to as a snowflake person then this thread is pointless. People have always chosen excuses to think of themselves as better even though they are just the same.

In fact I first discovered that years ago when I noticed all that many of the people in the drugs circles were actually idiots. I then decided that drugs are for loosers and the drugs make them feel special, but they are still idoits, they are just on drugs and like to fool themselves. That was in the 90's.

I dont even drink now as my most favorite thing ever is reality.

In fact I think im superior to everyone else. Im quite narrsistic, and I like it that way.

The video defines a girl. I remember a while back in the UK a girl was FORCED by the governemtn to work in the equivelent of Walmart. She had done a degree in running museums and so she said she was a curator. She sued the government for damaging her life with work that was below her. I personally can see both sides to that as I always wanted to work in the water industry, nothing too glamerous, i studied hard for that. The only difference is that she was Walmart quality. I saw her photo, and she was a perfect fit. Im actually pretty much the other way in a lot of regards.

Either way, the world is full of people who see themselves as above their station, they question is, when do you give in.

Personally I remember going into the dole office and having them ask me what my occupation was and I said water treatment engineering. Stupid woman said, what was your last job, so I said cleaning floors at a supermarket. And she said - so your a cleaner, this is now and that was then. They actually do what they can to bring people down when they can. To be honest thats an evil thing to do and is generally some thing that low quality people do to high quality people like me. If I was a low grade person that wanted to be a singer or an actor im sure they wouldnt have tried smearing my good name with crap like that.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HyphenSt1

I was born in '88 so i've heard this stuff my entire life, but honestly it was one of the first obvious bit of disinformation that i caught onto (I think tee-ball and soccer games where everyone gets a trophy kinda gave me something to contemplate while sitting on the bench..)
but nowadays this agenda is really gone into a full assault on everyone; not just children.
it's a lie that is almost too tempting to believe because in a sense, we ARE all individuals with different backgrounds and memories; always occupying individual spaces and times.
but then our intuitive understanding of this is exploited when we are all taught to attempt (never succeed) in emulating celebrities and essentially "admitting" that the truly WORTHWHILE "individuals" have already been found and just sit back and watch the professionals do what you wish you were doing..
and once people have had that programmed aspiration crushed, even the truly original people are tempted to seek a good comfortable crowd to be apart of and continue playing the game that is truly not winnable (or if you consider becoming a celebrity "winning", then i must consider the game as worthwhile as "candyland"..)

just remember when "pop-punk" preached individuality and then encouraged conformity and popularized the uniform found in that scene (which can still be purchased at any hot-topic)
but now that mentality has just been spread to every possible "sub-culture" and basically one of the bigger messes that marketing has ever made of sincere, emergent, cultural phenomena...

okay sorry, rant over!

As an old person I think the internet has a lot to do with it all.

I remember in the old days you would have FANS. Pop fans, film fans, sports fans. But these days no one is a fan. Everyone is a creator.

I used to run a comics convention and EVERYONE wanted to be a creator, no one wanted to be the fan. So we build a world of chefs and theres no one left to queue up to buy the meals.

I ran a couple of crap forums, and in all of them, everone wanted to be the guru. Like that Area 51 film where they queue up to get their book signed and the guy has his own book. Everone is an author.

The internet has given everyone the option to be the centre of attension.

Everyone wanted to write a blog but not to comment. Just look at all the crap blogs. Today i played with my cat!! woot woot!! and then I wrote a blog about writing blogs in which i explained how to write blogs.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
"Everywhere we remain unfree and chained to technology, whether we passionately affirm or deny it. But we are delivered over to it in the worst possible way when we regard it as something neutral; for this conception of it, to which today we particularly like to do homage, makes us utterly blind to the essence of technology. "

-Martin Heidegger

We have grown soft, because we are soft. We are above nature, natural selection does not exist in society, and it never should. As that is not the purpose of society. The purpose of society was to escape the very nature which we found so objectionable.

I don't know what it's really like in the U.S.A but as far as I know in Australia we never did the 'everyone gets a trophy' thing and this generation is thought about in the exact same way as it is in America. It is a lot more than that. It is the way we live that makes us this way. Everything we do today is instant-gratification, so why are we surprised that kids today don't want to wait for pleasure, they want it constantly.

You must learn to walk before you run, we've just forgotten to teach kids how to walk, the parents who raise those kids, hand their children over to the television/internet because they're too busy, whatever. The kid is not learning, the kid is being brainwashed to think that pleasure is always within reach.
edit on 22-8-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

To condition them to lines of thought that would otherwise be thought of as morally wrong and damaging

Hm, like war, hate and cutthroat capitalism?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join