Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gallup: Unemployment Rate Jumps from 7.7% to 8.9% In 30 Days

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The popular poll taker company named Gallup is one that follows the unemployment rate as well as the 'official' polls taken by the government BLS.

Yes, the 'official' BLS unemployment figures are resulted from polls, not by actual statistics.

The figures from each are usually very similar.

However, Gallup has noticed a recent spike that may be indicating an unemployment rise.

July BLS = 7.4%
July Gallup = 7.8%

Aug 21, 2013 Gallop = 8.9%

Whoops !!

Outside of the federal government's Bureau of Labor statistics, the Gallup polling organization also tracks the nation's unemployment rate. While the BLS and Gallup findings might not always perfectly align, the trends almost always do and the small statistical differences just haven't been worthy of note. But now Gallup is showing a sizable 30 day jump in the unemployment rate, from 7.7% on July 21 to 8.9% today.

Gallup: Unemployment Rate Jumps from 7.7% to 8.9% In 30 Days

edit on Aug-21-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Sounds like the people in charge of cooking the books this time either lost the recipe or used the wrong one. I don't think it's supposed to jump 1% or more in a single bump.

That can't make for a happy day around the White House.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What happed to the "Summer of recovery"?

Or were we right all along?

*told ya so!*

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Hey Xuenchen, I to am surprised by the figures. However, I find the claim that the jump occurred in the last 30 days as unsubstantiated, as fluctuations in the employment numbers are generally based economic trends that stretch well beyond the last month.

I am not sure if they added the 30 days or flare or not. None the less, still surprising. The upcoming G8 should have a pretty big impact on those numbers, or none at all based on the chilled relations between the US and Russia.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Nothing like the lack of an election to get some honest figures. But don't worry, it should be below 8% again in time for the 2014 mid-term elections.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Some should take in to consideration that the school season for high school as well as college has kicked off. A lot of "kids" have left there seasonal jobs for school....

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Is it possible that a number of people who were previously unemployed and were not collecting unemployment suddenly started receiving benefits?

I dunno about these things much, but I do know that unemployment rates can fluctuate based on who you considered "unemployed". For example, unemployed could be measured only by those who are collecting. Sometimes it does not include those people who are unemployed but are not eligible for benefits anymore.

Is it possible they changed their criteria for what "unemployed" means?

Also, some say the unemployment rate is much higher than we suspect because not all factors are being condisered. Think of how many people you know that are unemployed, looking for work, and/or just got laid off. I know many of them. It's very hard for me to believe that we only have a 7-9% unemployment rate.
edit on 21-8-2013 by nunya13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
No!

Really ?

You mean to tell me them 'statistics' never have a basis in reality to begin with, but the perception of reality ?

Yep Pt Barnum wisdom from yesteryear, ' There's a sucker born every minute'.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Could be a trial balloon to justify QE4. The Fed has cited the unemployment target before although there is zero evidence one affects the other.

The humorous part is their typical monetization vehicle won't support the true volume of money printing being requested by the Executive branch. There is literally not enough flow of debt debt instruments for the Fed to buy.

QE4 could target a new type of debt altogether to load on to the Fed balance sheet. Stay tuned and watch the smoke and mirrors get shuffled around.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The Administration's explanation will be something like this:
"Uhm...
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Uhm...
Unemployment is job growth.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Psst! American Idol is about to come on!"

I'm feeling a whole lotta love for the American voter base right now... of course I mean love in the same manner as the above doublethink concepts.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I wonder what the true numbers are...of course I mean the ones that they don't count. The people that are still unemployed but that no longer qualify for benefits.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Why is it so difficult to find their deceit? They must have hired the best coverup artists in the world to adjust the ways they get statistics. It usually takes many months before they are caught, then they have already corrected that problem and formed another coverup. It must be hard on the president to know which coverup is in progress and which are already retired. No wonder their hair grays so fast.

We have to learn to identify and come up with the right response right away. If they get caught right away, maybe they will quit deceiving us. If they tell us all the truth at one time, the country and the economy would collapse. Not to forget all of the brown spots on people's underwear.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The government BLS number of 7%+ is the lowest figure and it's called the "U3" measure.

Their "U6" number for July is 14%.

That includes people in different 'categories'.

The 'REAL' number however is much higher .... more like 23% !!

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

Are the reports of an Obama economic recovery based on the economy creating mostly part-time jobs and on manipulated government statistics that report an artificially low unemployment number?

According to John Williams, an economist known for asserting the government reports manipulated “shadow statistics” of economic data for political purposes, the real unemployment rate for July 2013 was 23.3 percent, not the 7.4 percent reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Here's the real unemployment rate

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Sorry, if this violates any forum rules, tell me and I will edit my post. I just found it too funny.

Based on how many friends I know that are looking for work, I'm surprised it isn't closer to 10% or above.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was thinking along the same lines, Wrabbit, when I read the "discrepancy"
but you know how things are in the US lala land of lies, we are smatter than that and we know the truth.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Sounds like the people in charge of cooking the books this time either lost the recipe or used the wrong one. I don't think it's supposed to jump 1% or more in a single bump.

That can't make for a happy day around the White House.

...either lost the recipe or suddenly remembered how to do math.
Seriously, the fact that people giving up on trying to find work means exclusion from unemployment figures in the US is just utterly ridiculous. "Well, even you seem to accept that your situation is hopeless, so you don't count."

Classy.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
Some should take in to consideration that the school season for high school as well as college has kicked off. A lot of "kids" have left there seasonal jobs for school....

I honestly don't think that those "seasonal" jobs should be included in the overall employment numbers. The same goes for the Christmas holiday season.

They are temps, nothing more.

Only full-time employment should be counted. That is where we would get honest numbers.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

The "Real" Unemployment number is around 23.4%, They have been doing creative accounting for the last several years by cooking the books.

But you can only hide a problem this huge for so long before the damn breaks and it is breaking now!

BTW 23.4% Unemployment is "Great Depression" level unemployment.

During the worst years of the "Great Depression" unemployment hit 24.4%. If things get worse economically we could break this record.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle

The "Real" Unemployment number is around 23.4%, They have been doing creative accounting for the last several years by cooking the books.

But you can only hide a problem this huge for so long before the damn breaks and it is breaking now!

BTW 23.4% Unemployment is "Great Depression" level unemployment.

During the worst years of the "Great Depression" unemployment hit 24.4%. If things get worse economically we could break this record.

But it's NOT a Depression. It's a Recovery, Stupid!

I mean, afterall, the sun is shining, the television is on, Obama says we're recovering nicely...

In economics, a depression is a sustained, long-term downturn in economic activity in one or more economies. It is a more severe downturn than a recession, which is seen by some economists as part of the modern business cycle. Considered by some economists to be a rare and extreme form of recession, a depression is characterized by its length; by abnormally large increases in unemployment; falls in the availability of credit, often due to some kind of banking or financial crisis; shrinking output as buyers dry up and suppliers cut back on production and investment; large number of bankruptcies including sovereign debt defaults; significantly reduced amounts of trade and commerce, especially international; as well as highly volatile relative currency value fluctuations, most often due to devaluations. Price deflation, financial crises and bank failures are also common elements of a depression that are not normally a part of a recession.

Economic Depression

Our economic state doesn't even come CLOSE to that there definition of a Depression, no Sir-eee!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

4 more years! oh wait.............

top topics

join