It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera America launches, sues AT&T

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Consider this.........

Members who decide bickering is better than debate the topic may face further post removals.....and posting bans.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

and, in case you have forgotten.....You are responsible for your own posts.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
When they get an NFL contract or NHL, I'll watch them....the same as the rest of the networks...

More B.S. with a different scent.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
AL JAZEERA AMERICA

Looks to me like a good source of news.

The same source of news that has being supporting the Libyan rebels in Libya and now are redoing it in Syria al;so the news network is owned by the Qatar's ruling family.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reading you lots posts

i dont think you guys understand aljazeera in 2013!

its currently owned by an american... yep! shock horror hey

and they are the most unaccountable news group ever

the amount of lies and propaganda is beyond a joke

its the fox network on acid...

edit on 21-8-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Yea, you know. I didnt even wanna bring that up. I think al jazeera was "bought" by the US a few years ago, maybe not officially but possibly bribed, threatened, threatened and then bribed.. as in take the money, dont report what we dont want or else..

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Whether this particular 'source' of information makes a commercial entry into this country, or any other, has nothing to do with you or I, or how we "feel" about it.

There are a mere handful of conglomerate owners, and a few media moguls who will examine a spreadsheet and determine the most profitable way to launch it.

Blaming the carrier stations is like blaming the cab driver for the price of gas.

Also, I note that this is about an "Al Gore" cable company:

In January, Al Jazeera paid $500 million to buy Current TV, a struggling cable channel founded by Al Gore. And it soon began winding down the network to install its own U.S. news programming that it hoped would be continuously carried by Current TV's cable-satellite distributors. Al Jazeera English, its global news operation for non-Arabic speaking countries, had limited distribution in the U.S. and was replaced here by AJAM.

Time Warner Cable dropped Current TV soon after the acquisition was completed, citing the channel's low ratings. The two are discussing a new contract.

AT&T said its decision wasn't hastily made and it notified customers through newspaper ads in July that it may stop carrying the Current TV-AJAM channel.

AJAM remains on Comcast, Verizon FiOS, DirecTV and Dish Network, with access to about 43 million households.

I hate to say it, but this "channel," whether your biased against or for it, is just another addition to the fodder which 'conservatism' and 'liberality' use to entertain (read distract) our minds from what we actually see.

AT&T said its decision wasn't hastily made...

Do you really believe that? They waited until Time Warner dropped the channel.... so commercial cowardice based upon political expedience is exemplified herein. You'd be surprised maybe, if you knew how many of these "big decisions" are a matter of "continuity." Hence the rush to tell you how to feel about it.

edit on 22-8-2013 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

No worries, Al Jeez is controlled by Western interests anyway. It is the brown version of Fox.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Consider this.........

Members who decide bickering is better than debate the topic may face further post removals.....and posting bans.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

and, in case you have forgotten.....You are responsible for your own posts.

Ive been a good boy on this account, so far

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Until a couple of years agoI thought Al-Jazeera was just an anti-American propaganda machine that got off on showing pictures of dead American soldiers, until I started following some links there and actually read the English language part of it. I'd also noticed that the US media was sourcing a whole lot of stories from them at the time because they were the only ones there doing any reporting at all. I'll admit I was surprised. With the notable exceptions of the Christian Science Monitor,and Matt Taibbi and Michael Hastings (RIP) at the Rolling Stone I found the articles and reporting to be far superior and thought provoking than what I was being fed by the Main Stream Media ( CNN, NYT, WSJ,and Reuters). Then I thought " Is attempting to filter out the bias in a news organization owned by an Arab Sheik really any different than filtering out the bias in news outlets owned by Time-Warner (CNN), GE then now Comcast (NBC),Disney (ABC) or Newscorp (Fox and WSJ)?" And came to the conclusion "not really".

I was off yesterday and made it a point to watch the launch. It was a refreshing change of pace from Fox or CNN. The MSM in the US has set the journalistic bar so low that I'll probably end up watching it more than either of the two outlets mentioned above.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by acidsweep

My GF waded into 15 skinheads to defend a Black man (and a stranger) who was already stabbed seven times. She risked her life (and saved his) because of just how much we dislike Racists. I attended the attempted murder trial of three of them myself.

Probably with the words "He's had enough" Anyway this is your GF and having a non-racist GF doesn't absolve you in being a zenophobe. Man if this keeps up the US is gonna see a huge exodus of brilliant minds and then the movie Idiocracy will become true in USA...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

While I see you have changed your tune somewhat because of the overwhelming majority in your own thread being against such a view point.... I agree with you and severely disagree...

I personally do not like al-Jazeera and have cautioned (at least the attempt was made on my part) another member of ATS concerning the bias of al-Jazeera.

However, it is no better no worse than any of the other news stations available for public consumption in the United States it just so happens to be a different bias than most are used to... they will figure that out eventually on their own I am certain.

That said, truth in journalism being what it is today, and it not being a big deal to most, I see no harm in a different version of this same truth in journalism.... people are free to be biased, people are free to their own opinions, and if people never see anything else but our governments propaganda then they will never understand the state our world is truly in today....

Its all going to hell in a hand-basket as the saying goes.

We do have freedom of speech in this country, and the right to freedom from government censorship, and to celebrate and demand government censorship, even of the things we dislike, is to hate the foundation of this country.....

I vote anyone who hates the foundation so much should move..... those like-minded people will be happy to pay for it.... it will free up more jobs for the people who celebrate the constitution...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I don't change my tunes ( : Read all my posts. At no point do I withdraw any portion of my comments.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

So, you believe your neighbor 2 houses down needs to be on a watch list because he watched a news program from a source other than fox or cnn?

Why is that? It is personages within your own government who are attempting to be al-Jazeera's unpaid spokesperson in favor of this new channel....If people within your government wants people to watch this channel, and this channel is 'approved' by said government then what are you so worried about?

Why start listening to every phone call, going through the trash of, reading all the mail of and following people around as they go about their daily tasks for the crime of watching a media outlet that is not currently owned by the big 5?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Ummm... I guess I better turn myself into DHS and submit to a watch list? I read Al Jazeera every day. I also check RT and Press.tv. Errr... A triple whammy. That'll be Gitmo for the bunny!

Seriously... I don't listen to Press TV about Israel. I don't listen to RT about America and I sure don't listen to Al Jazeera about the wars the West is engaged in. Each media outlet tends to have their area that they spin extra hard in ..and so, if you keep that in mind, they aren't that bad.

Al Jazeera, for instance, is probably the best one going for general interest and routine stories in and around the Middle East. That 'local color' variety of story that gives you a sense of what's actually happening beyond the few top headlines most news agencies stop with.

Just my bit on it.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I think the OP is trolling his own thread. On page (1) I gave a what I thought was a good reply about possible censorship or coverup of what is going on in egypt? Never got a reply from OP or anyone for the matter? All the OP did was go on a rant about how Al Jazeera is somehow bad, bad, bad.

Very crappy thread here. No S&F for you

edit on 8/21/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Time Warner Cable dropped Current TV soon after the acquisition was completed, citing the channel's low ratings. The two are discussing a new contract. AT&T said its decision wasn't hastily made and it notified customers through newspaper ads in July that it may stop carrying the Current TV-AJAM channel.

Ok, I work for a Telecom, let me tell you, their legal departments run like fine tuned extremely well oiled machines, powerhouses of litigation, they don’t let go, and don't compromise. I'm glad American Telephone and Telegraph, a staple of everything American decided to drop this crap network, likely because of their low ratings and to gain press, I doubt it had anything to do with principal (but you never know) Its a controversial move, but likely a well calculated one.

If AT&T were in my area, I'd drop FiOS / Xfinity in a hot second, to get on with some U-Verse action.

edit on 21-8-2013 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Oddily enough I checked out Al-Jazeera shortly after 9-11 happened, just to see what the other side was saying. I thought it would be interesting... but eh, not really just the same filtered main stream crap we get on any other news site/

I don't agree with CurrentTV's sale of their network to Al-Jazeera. I understand why they did it, because it was profitable, that’s what American capitalism is all about, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!

It doesn't matter though, Al-Jazeera will have much smaller viewer-ship demographic than CurrentTV (which I admit I did watch Vanguard every now and then) Carriers will demand more money because they know Al-Jazeera has some money behind them. Best case scenario, they will be taken advantage of, other good scenario, carriers will drop em'

edit on 21-8-2013 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Is Al Jazeera the same group that reported that Jews were told to not go to work on 9/11? I hope it's not the same station because we need some new diversity in America.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Perhaps you should read back several pages before making that judgment. I clearly said it was satirical. The lack of critical thinking on ATS can be outright astounding.

No stars and flags? If I am not winning a popularity contest then I am doing something right. The least popular opinions are often those that most need to be spoken.

(still just a guy with an opinion so before you all forget, They are like arseholes, we all have one).
edit on 21-8-2013 by Mamatus because: added content

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I just thought I would add for general on the thread here, after really looking over "Al Jazeera; America" closely, I'd say at least for the start, they'd be worth watching. The story choices are many of the mundane MSM stuff, but also enough valuable stories of interest to be of note,. I think they are in their woo'ing phase to woo the public to their viewer numbers. Hence, their efforts to impress Americans into using them now may have some good stuff thrown out for pure publicity value which others aren't covering the same way.

Really, Fox News started the same way and I'd be surprised if many conservatives on here old enough to have been with Fox from the first days of their operation as a news channel, can say they did not start as a valuable alternative with good stuff. They warped like an old album left in the sun too long and became precisely what they started as an alternative to, of course. So will Al Jazeera America. For now though?

Well, I'm used to reading the Middle East edition which is what I get a lot of local stuff out of...but America's website is new. They're definitely off to a running start.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join