It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Jazeera America launches, sues AT&T

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
reply to post by Mamatus

2nd Line Freedom of the Press!!

Dont you mean First Amendment?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Ooooo *waves hand*

Can I be the host? I even have the accent down.

Disclaimer: Yes, this is an off-topic attempt at humor. Trying to lighten the mood because some of you have your panties on a bit tight. Relax people.

I vote sheepslayer247 as host to the new HNT news network.
Do I have a second?

(back OT "Free Al Jazeera!!)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I do not however think it should be on Broadcast TV. Why? Have you ever seen the ratings for Honey Boo Boo?

Well by that standard shouldn't FOX be banned as well?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Absolutely but since we were talking news networks I thought to narrow it down a little.

Edit - narrow the topic not the amendment

edit on 21-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Bottom line is this: it does NOT MATTER WHAT news service you watch, you WILL GET SPIN. Noone tells the unbiased truth of events, EVERYONE tells their spin on events according to their own agenda.
Unless you were at an event as it happens, you will NEVER get the truth.

Homer gets my point. I do not want to have a station being aired that is going to be putting a Middle Eastern/Anti-American Spin on the news. (oh heck, there goes that Anti-American thing). I have no love of my Government but I have even less love for most of the Middle East's Governments.

I have to ask, have you ever watched Al Jazeera?

What, specifically, makes you think they are anti-American? As far as a Middle Eastern spin.....that's where they come from. It's expected, is it not?

People in other countries that watch American news stations would experience an American spin on the news...because it's coming out of America.

link   
reply to post by Mamatus

In addition, the major difference between Al Jazeera and our US cable news networks is that it does not hire commentators and pundits to push a viewpoint. Now, they may skew the news by omitting facts or distorting them, but there is not overt evidence to support this. I am not saying they are not biased, but the way things are now, anyone watching anything will think they are watching a biased source if it is not reporting in the way they think they should because we are so polarized.

For example, if there was in existence a news source that was proven to be 100% unbiased, both a liberal and a conservative would still think it was biased because it wasn't skewed liberally or conservatively.

link   
reply to post by Bassago

Why ATS of course
I don't have a favorite there are many I surf online (including Al Jazeera). Propaganda does not work on me because I read stuff from all over the world. Sadly this is not the case for most of the Honey Boo boo watching American public.

I think it not incredibly wrong of me to not want the dumbest people in America (TV watchers) to be getting a daily dose of M.E. spun news? Now if I could get someone to kill off Foz and CNN and we would be right on track to a better tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan
btw did you guys know that al jazeera is based in Quatar? They are a very strong ally of the United States.

Not only are they based in Qatar, but they are 100% funded by the Qatarian government.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by Mamatus

In addition, the major difference between Al Jazeera and our US cable news networks is that it does not hire commentators and pundits to push a viewpoint. Now, they may skew the news by omitting facts or distorting them, but there is not overt evidence to support this. I am not saying they are not biased, but the way things are now, anyone watching anything will think they are watching a biased source if it is not reporting in the way they think they should because we are so polarized.

For example, if there was in existence a news source that was proven to be 100% unbiased, both a liberal and a conservative would still think it was biased because it wasn't skewed liberally or conservatively.

IMO it will be a matter of time before they have to have Pundits and commentators. Americans respond to that type of news better than they respond to Headline News Network. HNN repeats the same stories every half hour or so and they have clearly lower ratings than CNN or Fox. Al Jazeera will either have to move to a format that encourages ratings or they will go unnoticed. I do not think it their goal to go unnoticed......

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Originally posted by Sharingan
btw did you guys know that al jazeera is based in Quatar? They are a very strong ally of the United States.

Not only are they based in Qatar, but they are 100% funded by the Qatarian government.

Overall good guys? The USA is an ally of convenience.

According to BBC, in April 2006 Qatar announced that it will give US$50 million (£ 28 million) to the new Hamas-led Palestinian government. Hamas, an ally of Iran and Hezbollah, is considered by the US and the EU to be a terrorist organization.

Or this (sorry quick hunt but there was an ATS thread on it as well)

Al Jazeera, Muslim Brotherhood Caught Producing Fake Videos? Infowars.com August 20, 2013 As the Qatari government launches the American version of their news outlet Al-Jazeera, they face accusations of attempting to foment citizen outrage by allegedly airing hoax videos of Muslim Brotherhood protesters suffering faked injuries. The first video shows a protester who seemingly suffered fatal injuries apparently lifting his leg.

edit on 21-8-2013 by Mamatus because: added content

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by Bassago

Now if I could get someone to kill off Foz and CNN and we would be right on track to a better tomorrow.

Fair enough as long as we can put a stake through the BBC and MSNBC at the same time. I think MSNBC is the worst propaganda channel in the history of the US.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Al Jazeera America, formerly Current TV which was owned by Al Gore & TV ad cheap lawyerguy Joel Hyatt who's Howard Metzenbaum's son-in-law. Keith Olbermann ended up there (Current TV) when he was dumped by MSNBC.

Trying to sue AT&T will probably get you to their legal call center in Mumbai. You'll be told to wait for the next legal representative who's currently troubleshooting some DSL circuit in Des Moines. (Thank you and please to reload operating system).

Don't get worked up over it. They're all getting rich while we argue semantics and irrelevancies.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Wait a second here......you will complain about Al Jazeera and their journalistic integrity, but then you post a link from Infowars?

Did you really just do that?
edit on 21-8-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Info wars is pretty bad I admit it lol NOT a good source. Although there are quite a few other examples of Al Jazeera getting caught spinning things. I should dig around a minute and not be lazy lol

Holy Crap just looked at the Front page of the HuffnPuff! It is ALL Al Jeezra!

Got to see this!

edit on 21-8-2013 by Mamatus because: added content

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Hey! My link to Al Jazeera is right next to InfoWars. What's wrong with that?

(Puts crash armor on ..)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I cannot think of any news outlet that has not been involved in some sort of scandal or had their integrity questioned, but overall I think they do a very good job of reporting ME news. And that is completely relevant in the US considering that our government and the military is over there playing in the sandbox.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Holy smokes just clicked on the Huff-n-Puff All Al Jazeera!!!!!

Al Jazeera the entire page!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Yea, I really dont get this Duck Dynasty craze but I really dont get any of these "scripted' reality based tv shows, they are an insult to my intelligence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join