It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellites glimpse ultra-powerful “black hole” whirlpools in Atlantic

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They hate when ya welcome death and dont fear anything

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Would be interesting to obtain exact coordinates for this for many reason of course.

One reason is to study the rotation of where it is positioned on earth. In North America your toilet flushes clockwise while on the other side of the earth it flushes counter-clockwise. Same goes for whirlpools.

Also is it big enough for The Coriolis Effect to be active?

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
In July 1909 a ship named SS WARATAH en route from Durban to Cape Town disappeared off the Transkei Coast of South Africa during bad weather. No trace has EVER been found of it - no wreckage, debris or bodies. Various theories have been put forward (including by Mr. Clive Cussler who sponsored an unsuccessful search for it a few years back).
Other odd events have also occurred off this coastline - in 1967 (I think) a Viscount Airliner of SAA just disappeared whilst coming in to land at East London airport (see book by Geoffrey Jenkins called 'Scend of the Sea' - a novel but which is constructed around these two events) as well as the disappearance of yachts and fishing boats.
As all this is in the general area (the Agulhas Current flows down this same coastline), maybe ... just maybe this is what happened to them? (Well, maybe not the aircraft but then again, who can say what happens to the air currents above such a whirlpool?)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
without a scale diameter these pictures mean not much.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
an austrian guy, schauberger or some name like that, who lived a few decades ago wrote some interesting stuff about bodies of fresh water large enough to be lakes. not sure of exact minimum size. he said they would spontaneously start spinning a large whirlpool in their middle. he claimed it was their way of recharging the water with some form of energy. (he spent much of his life in forests observing water.)
perhaps oceans do it to?

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

without a scale diameter these pictures mean not much.

No they don't.....I take it you didn't read the whole thread, as I mentioned earlier that the image is misleading, to be honest I found the comparison to black holes in space to be the most interesting part of the article.

Thanks for your comment though.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This thread is wonderfully interesting. Thanks for sharing !

I must admit it is kinda scary too. I sure wouldn't want to come
across one of these things in the middle of the ocean. Yikes !

My interest was so peaked that I went reading up on these
crazy twisty terrors in the ocean and found this article here
which speaks of 10 Magnificent Maelstroms with some mind
blowing pics to go along.

webecoist.momtastic.com...

& I thought I was only afraid of heights... now I have something
new to add to the list. Looking at some of these pics makes my
tummy do the same thing as when I'm climbing the steps of a tall
tower or something... Ya know the queasy feeling ya get where you
cling to the wall desperatley and start feeling dizzy. Now my tummy
is all topsy turvy.

So anywho...

enjoy
leolady

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Great link Leolady....thanks for contributing!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I was so intrigued by this post and that these whirly holes were termed
as new formations so I went reading around a bit and found more
information which was rather interesting.

SIZE: the two funnels are approximately 400 kilometers in diameter

The Scientists are saying these could of been caused due to:

“This is partially probably the effect of Earth’s magnetic field weakening”

Such vertical movements of water create giant whirlpools. The whirlpools, tens and even hundreds of kilometers in diameter, may last for months and even years, scientists say. The vertical movement of waters is a slow process, though. Why do those whirlpools exist for such a long time? This is partially the effect of Earth’s magnetic field. In addition, marine water contains many charged ions, Na and Cl for example. To crown it all, water molecules are dipoles that are charged both positively and negatively. Any dipole starts spinning when moving in the magnetic field. An oceanic ring gathers millions of billions of molecules together. That is why the giant circle movement triggered by the vertical movement of water may last for months and years mechanically. Ions also give more power to the craters. Natrium and Chlorum are charged as well, and their movement in the magnetic field of the Earth also leads to the appearance of the circle movement. It is not ruled out that the reason for the appearance of the whirlpools off the coast of South America is the same as in other parts of the World Ocean. Scientists are currently studying the influence of those giant funnels on the climate of Latin America and Africa. Such whirlpools show influence on the atmosphere and form cyclonical air mass. They can also affect the movement of air mass formed in other places. For the time being, scientists do not know how the newly discovered water craters can affect the climate of Central and South Americas. But scientist are far from sure on this matter. Does these whirlpools appear now, because we are so close to the galactic alignment ?

one-vibration.com...

So then I read up and found information on a known weakening of
our magnetic field that is being researched. So perhaps these
spinning black hole whirly gigs are a result of this weakening.

The South Atlantic Anomaly is growing, moving, and if it continues on its present course, will cause severe damage to the environment.

The SAA currently covers most of South America and extends across the South Atlantic Ocean. This is a weakness in the Earth's Magnetosphere, and is weakening the entire magnetic field of Earth.

projectavalon.net...

Info on Earths Weaking Magnetic Field
modernsurvivalblog.com...

enjoy
leolady

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Awesome :-)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

A huge vortex in Lake Peignuer formed when a drilling rig accidentally pierced the salt dome under the lake bed where mining operations were taking place. It sucked in the water, trees, land, boats, several barges and the drill derrick too. here's a video on it. It's very interesting.www.youtube.com...
edit on 25-8-2013 by Lindarm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
An eddy is not a whirlpool. It is simply a circular current.
They occur regularly in the Gulf of Mexico and other locations. This is not a new discovery. What is new is that scientists have show that these eddies are mathematically similar to black holes. They trap stuff and carry it around the ocean. The difference is, that eventually the eddies dissipate and drop the stuff they've been carrying.

www.whoi.edu...
www.louisianasportsman.com...

Here's the actual paper if anyone is interested:
arxiv.org...

edit on 8/25/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The whole similarity to black holes was what interested me about the story in the first place

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Yeah. But it's not really the same. It's not about the black hole itself but by the way stuff (including light) moves around outside it. The similarity is closer to the way an accretion disk might form around a black hole. The article is very mathy (because that's really what it's about) but there are a couple of illustrations in it which clarify the concept. It's really a study in the mathematics used in fluid dynamics.

Part of the problem is the comparison to Edgar Allan Poe's story. While it is referenced in the paper, this is what is said about it:

This literary account depicts a belt-like vortex boundary that keeps particles from enter-
ing its interior (Figure 1). Altogether, Poe's view on vortices is Lagrangian, and resonates
with our intuition for black holes in cosmology.

arxiv.org...

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
When they started up the LHC (CERN) they said that micro black holes would form but that they would evaporate because Stephen Hawking said so. But if they survived it would take at least four years for evidence of their presence within the earth to show itself.

What if the rotation of these very small black holes is doing something to the water to make it rotate. maybe if the holes eat enough matter they will simply swallow up the earth and show Stephen Hawking that he was wrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

What if the rotation of these very small black holes is doing something to the water to make it rotate. maybe if the holes eat enough matter they will simply swallow up the earth and show Stephen Hawking that he was wrong.

They aren't black holes.
They are oceanic eddies. Something that has occurred since long before the LHC was built.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
First thing I thought of was the huge floating debris field in the Pacific. Wish that wherever it leads to it could vacuum up the Fukushima radiation spill too.

It's the same principle though - those are called gyres, part of the ocean conveyor system

Those eddies are around 250 miles across in diameter. Because the water is warm it will evaporate, and that will have a suction effect that draws water inwards, trapping whatever is floating on the surface inside.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISeekTruth101
Are there no 'Chuck Norris' jokes for this phenomenon lool??

well...that's why earth is not a virgin! RATFLMFAO

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Thank you Phage for your insight...

There was a whirlpool after the Japanese tsunami of 2011, if you remember. I don't know if this is the same kind of thing that is being discussed in this thread, as this one seems to be tsunami-generated... Anyways, FWIW:

For scale, there is a yacht caught in the whirlpool. Don't know what it's fate was.
-------------
'nuther vid:

-------------
Yet 'nuther vid. Not a whirlpool, not even connected to the washing machine company in any way
Depicts a hole of some sorts where things can get swallowed up in the ocean.... (I know, the music sucks... sorry 'bout that).
I haven't the slightest clue as to what this could be... If I had to take a wild, wild guess, I would say that a submarine was preparing to surface. Someone else probably has more insight into this strangeness.
edit on 27/8/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangutang
an austrian guy, schauberger or some name like that, who lived a few decades ago wrote some interesting stuff about bodies of fresh water large enough to be lakes. not sure of exact minimum size. he said they would spontaneously start spinning a large whirlpool in their middle. he claimed it was their way of recharging the water with some form of energy. (he spent much of his life in forests observing water.)
perhaps oceans do it to?

Hitler recruited him to build aircraft engines based on his theories of fluid behavior. It was more than a few decades back.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join