It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sin eater.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
So I just the read on the subject. Interesting to say the leaste.

So I was wondering, is there anyone out there who has encountered one?
Do you think there might still be a need for one?

Thanks my fellow ATSers.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tylerdurden1

Uh, a little more info
would be appreciated.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
From wikipedia:

The term sin-eater refers to a person who, through ritual means, would take on by means of food and drink the sins of a household, often because of a recent death, thus absolving the soul and allowing that person to rest in peace. In the study of folklore sin-eating is considered a form of religious magic.

This ritual is said to have been practised in parts of England and Scotland, and allegedly survived until the late 19th or early 20th century in Wales and the adjoining Welsh Marches of Shropshire and Herefordshire, as well as certain portions of Appalachia in America (documented in the Foxfire cultural history series). Traditionally, it was performed by a beggar, and certain villages maintained their own sin-eaters. They would be brought to the dying person's bedside, where a relative would place a crust of bread on the breast of the dying and pass a bowl of ale to him over the corpse. After praying or reciting the ritual, he would then drink and remove the bread from the breast and eat it, the act of which would remove the sin from the dying person and take it into himself.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Upton33

Thank you! I forgot to put a link!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The movie The Order was about sin eaters.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's an interesting concept.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I wonder if I could make a living doing it
A small fee and blamo I pawn my soul for yours

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

So, have you been watching that movie "The Order" or something?
I think that "sin eaters" don't actually take on the sin of anyone- I believe it was just a "feel good" ritual to put survivors at rest following the death of a loved one who may not have been in good graces with the church. Dog and pony show for the grieving, if you will- nothing more.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tylerdurden1
reply to post by Upton33

Thank you! I forgot to put a link!

You're welcome, I've never heard of a sin eater must be thing for the rich & powerful.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

So, have you been watching that movie "The Order" or something?
I think that "sin eaters" don't actually take on the sin of anyone- I believe it was just a "feel good" ritual to put survivors at rest following the death of a loved one who may not have been in good graces with the church. Dog and pony show for the grieving, if you will- nothing more.

Sucker born every minute!
I can make loads of cash.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Interesting. They take on the diseases, evils, intentions, habits, mannerisms and end up looking like HELL ITSELF and the devil with sores and disfigurments ending up looking monsterous for taking on all the sins of others.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Interesting. They take on the diseases, evils, intentions, habits, mannerisms and end up looking like HELL ITSELF and the devil with sores and disfigurments ending up looking monsterous for taking on all the sins of others.

Do they, where is the link for that

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

There are many links you can search for. I remember reading about them in the 70's, 1980's...and there are a few movies out there. Im sure you can search them out.

There is a Twilight Zone episode of it as well.

c/o WIKIPEDIA: Sin-eaterFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org...

Marvel Comics character, see Sin-Eater (comics). For the 2003 film, see The Sin Eater. For the 2007 film, see The Last Sin Eater (film). For the characters in the White Wolf role-playing game, see Geist: The Sin-Eaters.
Not to be confused with the '80s pop singer Sinitta.
The term sin-eater refers to a person who, through ritual means, would take on by means of food and drink the sins of a household, often because of a recent death, thus absolving the soul and allowing that person to rest in peace. In the study of folklore sin-eating is considered a form of religious magic.

This ritual is said to have been practised in parts of England and Scotland, and allegedly survived until the late 19th or early 20th century in Wales and the adjoining Welsh Marches of Shropshire and Herefordshire, as well as certain portions of Appalachia in America (documented in the Foxfire cultural history series). Traditionally, it was performed by a beggar, and certain villages maintained their own sin-eaters. They would be brought to the dying person's bedside, where a relative would place a crust of bread on the breast of the dying and pass a bowl of ale to him over the corpse. After praying or reciting the ritual, he would then drink and remove the bread from the breast and eat it, the act of which would remove the sin from the dying person and take it into himself.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Well crap dude, I didnt think you would have more than one link..
I stand corrected.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

There is also a referral (somewhere in the world out there) of another reference to a "soul-eater'...much the same thing. I know too that in the deep south of the US and Appalacia, there are tales of one like this that goes from town to town, taking on the sins and illnesses and then moving on to the next town.

Usually depicted and described as a "grim reaper-type" individual with a hooded head...becaseu the face is so grotesque to look at.

There is also a deep belief in the south of this person being real with some claiming to have seen them from time to time.

When I get a free minute...I do some further digging for you....MS

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have believed for some time that the act of taking ones negative energy can be done. I fancy myself a "sin eater" though the actual penance must be done by the person in order to learn and grow. There is something to negative energy festering in a person. It may sound strange but I find it pleasing to rid them of it and take it upon myself if they are worthy, or at least I used to.

I have slipped away from doing for others in the last years .....in a spiritual sense. I prefer real world acts but even that has been reduced as of late. I am in a selfish phase...I need me right now.

The concept of "sin eating" is interesting to me though as it is something familiar to me. IMO such people afforded abundant good grace can afford to take upon them the debt of others spiritually. The life lessons though are theirs to learn alone though. You do no service to others if they are not willing to change bad ways.

Like constantly replacing the oil in an engine with a leak. Its pointless and as such a waste of energy. That's not good either.

edit on 21-8-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

There is also a referral (somewhere in the world out there) of another reference to a "soul-eater'...much the same thing. I know too that in the deep south of the US and Appalacia, there are tales of one like this that goes from town to town, taking on the sins and illnesses and then moving on to the next town.

Usually depicted and described as a "grim reaper-type" individual with a hooded head...becaseu the face is so grotesque to look at.

There is also a deep belief in the south of this person being real with some claiming to have seen them from time to time.

When I get a free minute...I do some further digging for you....MS

I would LOVE to read that!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Strange coincidence! I just brought this whole subject up of "Sin-eaters" yesterday in another thread titled: Secret Society Question

Originally posted by iwan2ski
reply to post by shells4u

Sounds like he may have been a "Sin-eater"

Maybe, wealthy men or certain Secret Societies have/use "Sin-eaters" to resolve their unforgivin sins before their time is near so that they would not have to pay for them in the after life. If this is the case, then this man could have been taking on the sins of others and he had to pass it onto another before he dies...so as to keep "passing the buck" to the next "Sin-eater". The idea of having a specific date of death for a "Sin-eater" could be insurance that a new "Sin-eater" would be trained and ready in the ways to relieve the other of all the sins he has taken on. This may be passed on within bloodlines to explain the common dates of death you've noticed.

This makes sense considering that these people could be involved with a lot of dark and sinister plots and using a "Sin-eater" would absolved them from their evil deeds, which they probably believed was justified for the greater good of coarse!

Atoning for Sins is a very ancient concept and was the sole reason for animal sacrifice. They believe that sins could be transferred to another (though some say it served as a reminder of their sin). The term "Scape-goat" comes from sacrificing a goat to pay for another's sin or wrong doings!

What do you think? Possible?

Edit: see also: The Order (2003 film)

edit on 20-8-2013 by iwan2ski because: Added another reference

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Strange coincidence! I just brought this whole subject up of "Sin-eaters" yesterday in another thread titled: Secret Society Question

reply to post by shells4u

Sounds like he may have been a "Sin-eater"

Maybe, wealthy men or certain Secret Societies have/use "Sin-eaters" to resolve their unforgivin sins before their time is near so that they would not have to pay for them in the after life. If this is the case, then this man could have been taking on the sins of others and he had to pass it onto another before he dies...so as to keep "passing the buck" to the next "Sin-eater". The idea of having a specific date of death for a "Sin-eater" could be insurance that a new "Sin-eater" would be trained and ready in the ways to relieve the other of all the sins he has taken on. This may be passed on within bloodlines to explain the common dates of death you've noticed.

This makes sense considering that these people could be involved with a lot of dark and sinister plots and using a "Sin-eater" would absolved them from their evil deeds, which they probably believed was justified for the greater good of coarse!

Atoning for Sins is a very ancient concept and was the sole reason for animal sacrifice. They believe that sins could be transferred to another (though some say it served as a reminder of their sin). The term "Scape-goat" comes from sacrificing a goat to pay for another's sin or wrong doings!

What do you think? Possible?

Edit: see also: The Order (2003 film)

edit on 20-8-2013 by iwan2ski because: Added another reference

It does seam that in todays society the sin eater would be a useful tool. So many rich people who kill, lie and steal for what they have, would have good use for a sin eater, and might pay big money! I wish I could get started on doing that!

5 000 a pop

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Ill look around for anything further about this for you. Im off for once this weekend. Stay tuned here, or I may U2U you ...MS

top topics

join