It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Tea Party Candidate for Congress does Reddit AMA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The internet is a scary new world or a major opportunity for todays political candidates. Every once in a while we see a candidate attempt to use social media to promote themselves and fail at it. Case in point Matt McCall who must not have understood the meaning of AMA because he was not ready for the questions that came forth. While it is sad that Mr. McCall not only quit answering questions but he went as far as deleting his reddit account. This clearly shows how out of touch with reality our politicians are when it comes to discussion with voter vs feeding talking points to the major news media.

A moment of silent regard, please, for Matt McCall, a “conservative entrepreneur” running against Lamar Smith in Texas District 12. In addition to being a wingnut climate change denier, Smith sponsored the “Stop Online Piracy Act” (SOPA), which was widely despised by your computer geeky types, who partly shut down their interweb sites a while back. Matt McCall is running to the right of Smith — he wants to eliminate the EPA and the IRS, repeal the 17th amendment, all sorts of fun stuff. But there’s one issue he’s pretty sure tech geeks will agree with, and that’s his opposition to SOPA. So he went on the website Reddit yesterday to do one of those “Ask Me Anything” (or “AMA”) interactive things that the kids are so into, with the inviting title, “I am (SOPA-Opponent) Matt McCall, I am Running against Lamar Smith in the Republican Primary in TX-21. AMA!” It did not go well. At all. Turns out that while geeks don’t care for SOPA, they wanted to ask McCall about other stuff, too — the “anything” in that heading — like his opposition to same-sex marriage. They also aren’t big fans of one-line talking points. The questions quickly got pointed, McCall stopped answering, and eventually, he just plain deleted his Reddit account. On the upside, a LOT of people now know who Matt McCall is. He’s the previously obscure congressional candidate who got pwned by Reddit.

Texas Congressional Candidate Tries ‘Reddit’

Link to reddit AMA

edit on 21-8-2013 by AlaskanDad because: cleaning up posting code

edit on 21-8-2013 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Already down in flames with the posting account deleted.

Seems the internet and Facts broke him.

thats halarious less than a day is all it took reading through it all.
edit on 21-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Why in the hell would a political candidate do one of those sessions on a site where the majority of the members are under voting age while school is on vacation?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow, that guy got roasted alive.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

Why in the hell would a political candidate do one of those sessions on a site where the majority of the members are under voting age while school is on vacation?

A better question would be why a US congressional candidate could not answer the questions asked of him on a site where the majority of the members are under voting age while school is on vacation?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I think there is one answer for both questions.. The guys an idiot and thats coming from a Texas Republican

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

LMAO

There is no doubt that McCall's AMA was an idiotic move on his part, by this I mean he should of tested the waters before diving in head first. But I almost feel he was set up to make this AMA by a staffer who was reddit savvy and knew of the calamity that would soon follow. Politics is a dirty game and it could well be someone had ulterior motives for having McCall do this AMA. imho Lamars an old dog with more than a few tricks up his sleeve, and having a staffer in McCall's camp may just be one of them.

But after seeing some of our politicians we've had here in AK I will concede that he could just be another idiot politician.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlaskanDad
reply to post by Sharingan

Lamars an old dog with more than a few tricks up his sleeve, and having a staffer in McCall's camp may just be one of them.

Lamar is scum. Probably what happened. Reddit these days is shill filled anyway, sure some of them loved the AMA.
edit on 21-8-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join