It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manning sentenced to 35 years

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

He had more luck when he was black skinned I recon with getting that pardon.
edit on 21-8-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Double
edit on 21-8-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Wow... This might be a sign that people behind the scenes are actually fighting for him... People are often comparing America to a modern day Nazi state... and all I have to say is that back in Hitler's time, someone trying to blow the lid on stuff he was doing, probably wouldn't have got such a lenient sentence.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The scariest part is his court statement:

“How on Earth could I, a junior analyst, possibly believe I could change the world for the better over those with the proper authority?” he said. “I know that I can and will be a better person. I hope that you can give me the opportunity to prove, not through words but through conduct, that I can return to a productive place in society.”

Manning's court testimony (rt)

I wonder what they have done to him.
Rats?

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother"

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It was hardly blowing a lid.
Really what did he expose? It wasn't really shocking but still he got 35 years for it!

Tell me what harm it did, giving him 35 years gave more harm to the US abroad.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I hope every American is ashamed of their country today...
No one can ever claim again that USA is the land of the free or that it is not a corrupted totalitarian police state.
Sadly even after all these recent cases proving that it was worse than even us conspiracy "nutcases" claimed you will still not take to the streets....

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I expected more out of Assange in all this.

Mr Manning’s treatment has been intended to send a signal to people of conscience in the US government who might seek to bring wrongdoing to light. This strategy has spectacularly backfired, as recent months have proven. Instead, the Obama administration is demonstrating that there is no place in its system for people of conscience and principle. As a result, there will be a thousand more Bradley Mannings.

No, there will not be a thousand more. None that will use Assange as a mouth piece. Secrets that Assange has no problem "not leaking". In many ways, he threw Manning under the bus. A man of principle doesn't run. He doesn't hide. Especially if he has information the World should have. That carrot has been dangling for quite some time wouldn't you say?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I was hoping for the minimum.

Too bad for him. But the message is there.... whistleblowing will not be tolerated.
Maybe our President Obama will pardon him (I know better) , since he campaigned on being a supporter of whistleblowers and had spoken out in favor of whistleblower protection as a US Senator?

Even though what he did was entirely legal and even expected from a civilian. He should be treated like a hero, but instead is tortured and now has to sit in jail for what will most likely be the remainder of his life.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
I don't actually recall being this MAD at a peice of news before - If I ever see Obama, Ima slap him round the face and laugh all the way to my detention centre. Sick ffin pigs!!

I would do something far worse if I ever met that puppy in real life.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
When you're do bad, you go to prison. When the government does bad, you go to prison.

Brilliant logic, and your sitting and letting it happen. Good work guys

I hope you brits are better when the leaks happen there.. I have a feeling your citizens will sit on their ass as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tyfon

“How on Earth could I, a junior analyst, possibly believe I could change the world for the better over those with the proper authority?” he said. “I know that I can and will be a better person. I hope that you can give me the opportunity to prove, not through words but through conduct, that I can return to a productive place in society.”

Reminds me of the absurd confessions that people were compelled to make in the Soviet Union.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Wow... This might be a sign that people behind the scenes are actually fighting for him... People are often comparing America to a modern day Nazi state... and all I have to say is that back in Hitler's time, someone trying to blow the lid on stuff he was doing, probably wouldn't have got such a lenient sentence.

But what he did was not illegal... He exposed crimes and should be protected by the law instead of tortured and sentenced to life in prison.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
He shouldn't go to prison at all...

But what he leaked surely wasn't worth 35 years of his life.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Not saying that I support the sentencing or the prosecution of whistle blowers but this man took an oath when he enlisted in the army and he leaked crucial information that was not supposed to be leaked.

He violated the rules, and like a lot of you like to say..this is a country of laws and they must be followed. He broke the law and now he's being punished.

I'd consider myself lucky if I were him.

We don't agree often but here, we couldn't agree more.

Like him, love him or hate him so much it vibrates? Manning still broke his oath, the law and by his own words and deeds? He was fully aware of it at every stage. He could have gone other routes and they may well have failed..but the fact he assumed and never tried means no one can ever know the result it may have had.

Regardless though, your ultimate point is the only point. We're a nation of law or we are not. Law must be blind in application as our rather checkered history of institutional discrimination shows without doubt for how it turns out, otherwise.

Personally? I thought the 20 years he freely admitted full guilt for was sufficient and the trial itself was a wasted play to build a case on Assange. Some connected to the case have stated the same thing. A hell of a lot of money, effort and resources for a trial to a man who was only doing 15 years less than this sentence ...WITHOUT the trial.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Justice has been served.

He avoided being a Darwin Award candidate by his heroic apology. He had to overcome gender issues, anti-US brainwashing, and suffocating sheeple worship to express his sorrow for harming his own nation. Against all odds he did the only honorable thing in the end.

The power of Freedom prevailed when Manning denounced his own actions.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Like him, love him or hate him so much it vibrates? Manning still broke his oath, the law and by his own words and deeds? He was fully aware of it at every stage. He could have gone other routes and they may well have failed..but the fact he assumed and never tried means no one can ever know the result it may have had.

But what he uncovered was crimes done by the GOVERNMENT. That overrides any oath he may have taken and should protect him. The only ones who did anything wrong here are the system and no one is going to jail for those crimes.
And what other routes can he have taken exactly??? This was the only damn way...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I was hoping for the minimum.

Too bad for him. But the message is there.... whistleblowing will not be tolerated.
Maybe our President Obama will pardon him (I know better) , since he campaigned on being a supporter of whistleblowers and had spoken out in favor of whistleblower protection as a US Senator?

This was not whistleblowing. This was mass release of diplomatic correspondence without regard to its effects on anyone else. Agents compromised? Manning doesn't know. Conflicts unresolved? Manning doesn't know. Wars started? Manning doesn't know. He should be held responsible for any consequence of his actions. If someone dies because of what he released, try him for negligent manslaughter. I think he should be grateful for such a light sentence and the opportunity to resolve his internal conflicts over the next few decades.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

We know now.

Nothing serious happened because of these leaks.

Only giving Manning an example for others who may leak anything.

Why are they so afraid of manning, wikileaks, snowden, truthseekers, yet they make more rules for us every day and say it's to protect us.
Why should we trust them if they can trust us?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

How brainwashed some of you Americans are never cease to amaze me... Wake the # up!!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

You're arguing "ends justify the means" and that's a logic I cannot and will never subscribe to, personally.

Where it is used anyway and those who do it? They should stand tall for the consequences from their actions. That's not much to ask if a man has the strength of his convictions and feels the cause is worth the sacrifice. If it isn't worth actually TAKING the consequences and not just pretending to be willing to while somehow getting out of it? Then it shouldn't have been done. That's just how simple I feel about it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join