It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Furore over NSW candidate's gay remarks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Short article

Really what did this guy say that was so offensive? He simply stated some facts that informed his opinion when asked about what he thought of the gay lifestyle.
edit on Wed Aug 21 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: changed title to source title

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

I'm not entirely sure what he said or inferred about gay people or their supposed "lifestyle"?

He had two gay family members that died?
Well I've got two straight family members that died.
So what exactly?

Straight people don't die?

Christians don't die?
Jesus died at 33.

If it's AIDS, at least 300 000 heterosexuals died of AIDS in South Africa between 1999-2008, when it could have been prevented.

And still today, Christian fundamentalist monsters and total demoniacs who call themselves "apostles" and "evangelists" tell the dumb-as-dirt gullible flock that they can cure AIDS.
And they send infected people back into the community, telling them they are healed.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Oh what a mighty evil this rendition of religion is.
What a dreadful curse upon the world.
May God forgive them for their evil and stupid death-styles, and the dying they bring across creation.
All just to make a buck.

But I don't think they will be forgiven.
They will be judged as they judged, and surely they burn in hell for all eternity, where the torture never dies.

edit on 21-8-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

He said some stupid things, like gays dying before their time. (Lol?) But I just don't think it was that bad. It's not like he said gays should be prosecuted. It's still rather off putting that he'd have to mention gays in such a manner, but again, it's just not that bad.

I've noticed that when it comes to people and their beliefs on homosexuality, either for or against, they often react with a knee jerk and emotion rather than actual thinking.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

"They have a lower life expectancy, homosexual men ... based on facts."

rubbish.

"I'm not against these people, but ultimately when you look at our society it is not going to work.

It has worked for couple of millenia now....

The point:

The guy is talking out of his ass...I would be offended by such speech...because I would think that speaker obviously thinks I'm an idiot.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
From the OPs article

a CDP candidate said being gay was a "disorder" and a health risk.

I think this candidate is disordered and a health risk to the general population.
Stupidity can be infectious ya' know.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Really what did this guy say that was so offensive? He simply stated some facts that informed his opinion when asked about what he thought of the gay lifestyle.

What he said, and what he implied, was offensive because it was presented as facts, but only gives half the truth. His comments are biased and ignorant - and the problem is that he doesn't just inform people of his opinion, he presents it in a way, that might give people the idea that he knew what he is talking about.
But the fact is..
The average life expectancy among homosexual men is a little bit lower than the national average - almost exclusively due to the AIDS virus. But the average homosexual man who doesn't suffer from AIDS or HIV has a significantly higher life expectancy than straight men.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

Go on then, indulge us... quote the "facts" as you describe them, which he stated and then back them up.

And how is (to paraphrase the politician in question) "it not going to work", the it being homosexuality within Australian sociey presumably; and how is the predisposition to be gay not good. All stuff this berk said.

He just makes himself sound like a proper knobhead, and it aint looking so good for you right now either.
edit on 21-8-2013 by skalla because: typo

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Funny thing is that even a christian pastor isn't supposed to have his own opinion on homosexuality. He's supposed to bend over and surrender now regardless if he believes it is wrong. Liberals are allowed to speak loudly but anyone who has a different opinion is railroaded in every way. I'm just sayin'

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Yes, please share these "facts" about the Gay lifestyle. I'm Bi myself, only been "out" a year. I'm sure "facts" from a Christian would be very useful to my life. I wonder if these "facts" are similar to the good, loving Christians on FB that told me I deserved to be dead when I came out?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Most straight people assume all gay and bi men have AIDS. I know of promiscous women who will not consider being with a bisexual man because of the HIV fear and will freak out if they find out one of their partners is bi. The irony is they think being with a man whose been with 100 other women is safe, but being with a non promiscous bisexual man is not. Take a guess what guy they blame when they get an STD?

That is the percerption, gay and bi men carry diseases. It doesn't help the GLBT community that there are hiv+ men that knowingly put others at risk.
edit on 21-8-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Most straight people

you failed right there - kindly shack up with the OP, you deserve each other.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Short article

You're kidding, right?

"This is one of the things that happens in this lifestyle," Mr Green said.

"They have a lower life expectancy, homosexual men ... based on facts."

He said that until the early 1970s being gay was seen as a "disorder".

"I'm not against these people, but ultimately when you look at our society it is not going to work.

"Some would say people are born with this predisposition. I say to that that we are all born with predispositions that are not good."

Where are the facts there again?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

Most straight people

Care to take a guess at my sexuality? My post is based on real life experience. It is true most straight people assume gay and bi men carry disease.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I believe what we are seeing here is where context is important and that we do not see the entire conversation. I don't know what was or was not said, nor can I state if it is or is not correct or even if this politician has all of the facts. Then again, he might want to reconsider his point and presentation, as more and more people are starting to realize that they are either related to, or know someone who is gay, or bisexual or even transgendered. And those same people are the ones who vote in election that put a person in a seat of authority and power.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Short articleReally what did this guy say that was so offensive?

He is no more offensive than a man that thinks that your spine will rot if you pleasure yourself.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Ive known guys who say they don't want to be close to gay guys because they don't want a friend that's going to die from aids.......Since women and str8 people cant get it he will stick with them. .....all the while being friends with me and not knowing for sure what MY sexuality is LOL.........
edit on 21-8-2013 by jazztrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well, I don't usually like to bring this up, but I think I may be able to offer some perspective here, seeing how I'm a homo myself. This dude is right about the life expectancy. First off, HIV is everywhere. I mean everywhere. Seems like half the homosexual men I know have it and of the half that don't, half of them have it and just don't know it (slight exaggeration to get the point across). There's this Don't Ask Don't Tell thing going on regarding hiv and if someone doesn't slap their sex partner in the face and say "I have AIDS so use a condom with me" then they just won't have safer sex. There's also a sub culture of BB- barebackers- good old fashioned raw (unsafe) sex. Lots of guys I know will ONLY bb.

Secondly, drug use is rampant in the gay community. Mind boggling rampant. GHB, crystal meth ( aka: tina) take a toll on the body. PNP- party 'n play.

I've been to many many funeral services for otherwise healthy young men who basically partied themselves to death. The most difficult was my lover. He had been out of rehab and sober for 4 years, then I come home late from work one night to find him on the floor, dead. Overdose. Turns out that his "best friend" (total drug head user/ loser who I could never get to leave us alone for long) brought over the party supplies and then bailed when things went bad and just left him there.

So basically, yeah, the truth hurts. But from my experiences this dude is pretty much spot on. I'm sure he and I disagree over the causes of homosexuality, how it relates to religion, etc, etc, but honestly I'm not offended by what he said. Actually, I respect him for being a man and stating his opinion on the matter, whether we agree or disagree, at least we know where each other stands.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skalla

Most straight people

Care to take a guess at my sexuality? My post is based on real life experience. It is true most straight people assume gay and bi men carry disease.

I could not give a fig about your gender or sexuality, my point is that you are both making dumbass assumptions based on your own prejudices and stupidly stereotyping others, pretending you know all about what some group thinks, does or feels. Therefor you are a perfect match. Enjoy.

And no, they dont... except in your head.

If you care, i'm a straight chap, i dont think gay or bi men are somehow infectious and i have a good friend who has HIV.. who happens to be male and straight. Stop talking crap.

ETA: i've been downright direct and quite intolerant of a lot of BS at ATS today, so i'll tone it down a little and see if that helps. I'll make an assumption which of course may be incorrect - you meant to say that you have experienced or witnessed alot of prejudice towards LGBT folk in your life, specifically that such people are STI ridden in the extreme. This is not the same as "all straight people think *blah*". Dont engage in the same rubbish as those you are disparaging. Maybe i live in a more tolerant society than you do. I know a lot of straight folk unsurprisingly, and have not experience the same attitudes that you do. Prejudice goes both ways so dont give in to hate and become that which you or others that you care about have suffered.
edit on 21-8-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
doblo, oopsy
edit on 21-8-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Short article

If you do not understand what is offensive about what he said then it does not suprise me that you think any of it involved facts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join