It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thoughts and prayers go out to..." - Please stop putting this in your Facebook posts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Why didn't you tell this on facebook?

Seems it would be more effective?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I myself am not christian, but often send my thoughts and prayers to people in need. It tells them that I am thinking of them, that I care and that maybe a higher power out there can help.

When I had cancer, I was grateful to all the people here who offered prayers and good vibes, lit candles and incense and offered kind words. When you are fighting for your life, it gives you something to hold on to and believe in. When you are overwhelmed with worry and sadness, it brings a smile and comfort to a weary soul.

It is merely compassion and love for your fellow man. Embrace it and know that there will be people who will stand by your side in your journey through life.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You don't have to use Facebook to be annoyed by this. The same thing happens here all day every day. "My thought go out to the man with the 130 pound scrotum!" That's great. I'm sure he's all warm and snuggly with your "thoughts"

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
Hey all you Christians, here is one reason why you make religion look bad. When one of you gets hurt or sick you post on Facebook, "Oh my thoughts and prayers go out to you." "Sending you our thoughts and prayers."

I don't want your prayers nor do I want to hear about them. If your God doesn't answer prayers to stop children from being molested then what makes you think your God will make my immune system work faster? If I were a Christian then I would be furious at those people parading to be fellow Christians and posting comments such as these.

If you truly truly believe prayers are useful- and by this I mean you think you are haughty enough to tell God what is wrong as if he does not know, and on top of it ask for him to get off his lazy butt and do something about it- then how about you pray for him to take out some of the CO2 from our atmosphere.

But seriously though, back to my main point. Religion is a joke to all of you. It is just a fad. You throw around comments like these without the worry of the weight carried with them. If you claim to be Christian and then post things like this then dont even bother claiming to be a Christian. Because it only proves that you are not.

I am an atheist/agnostic but I have more respect for those Christians who understand whats wrong with Christianity today- that people treat it as a status symbol.

Many years ago it was the people who did not believe in God who were rebels and had low morals. Today however the majority of people I know claim to be Christian and yet they are the most immoral people I know. They lie, cheat, steal, judge, spread rumors, and hurt others. The hand full of fellow atheist/agnostics I know are humble, non-judgmental, honest, respectable people who wouldn't hurt a fly.

Who gives a rats ass what you think? And while your at it why don't you go off and just do everyone a favor and die from your low immune system. Is that the kind of responce you would rather get from all your facebook friends?
edit on 21-8-2013 by guitarplayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey, you atheist, here is one post that makes non-theists look bad. When you start a nonsensical thread complaining about completely innocuous actions by Christians that offend you and that they should therefor curtail.

I don't want to read your commentaries about how easily offended you are. If you don't like people posting such thoughts on FB, quit FB. If I were an atheist, I'd be furious that you were making other atheists look like tools.

If you truly believe that inane threads are useful, then why don't you start one for every minor incident in your life that applies almost entirely to yourself and most other atheists couldn't care less about?

But seriously though, back to my main point. Skepticism is a joke to you. You throw around threads like these and don't worry about the lack of weight they carry. If you claim to be a reasoning skeptic or atheist and then posts things like this then don't even bother claiming to be reasoning. Because it only proves that you're not.

I'm a Christian but I have a lot more respect for atheists/skeptics/non-theists who don't whine about things that are completely inconsequential to them in an effort to feel put upon and indignant.

Not so many years ago I hadn't read a thread by a self righteous atheist that likes to make broad and sweeping statements about things that he has no knowledge of and would need to be a psychic to determine it's accuracy.

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EricD

My point is about respect. You lack respect for other people's beliefs by assuming they are O.K. with you being part of their religious rituals. I don't want to be associated with religion. I shouldn't have to tell people to omit me from their rituals. If I have to hear about your religious affinity then you all have to hear about my super-abhor of it. I am going to start going around saying, "Sending you my thoughts and black magic spells." Theyll ask about my black magic spells and I will say, "yeah my incantations were sent to satan for you to get better... don't worry I asked Satan to look out for you."

And as awkward as that person will feel is as nauseating I feel when I see it and hear it over and over and over again.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

No. "Hope you get better!"

Don't pray for me to get better because if you truly want to make a difference then you will pay for my medication.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Just spreading the anti-holy word. Trying to mimic the equal opposite reaction to the amount of force placed upon me during my day to day life encounter of people posturing their religious positions.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

It was more of an attempt to make believers understand not only that religion is archaic but faking religion is just asinine. I left religion long after I lost faith. I lost faith when I gained knowledge. I left religion when I realized how much more "holy" I was than those who practiced religion.

- "Faith without works is dead."

A whole lotta faith going around and even more lack of works.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

reply to post by EricD

My point is about respect. You lack respect for other people's beliefs by assuming they are O.K. with you being part of their religious rituals. I don't want to be associated with religion. I shouldn't have to tell people to omit me from their rituals. If I have to hear about your religious affinity then you all have to hear about my super-abhor of it. I am going to start going around saying, "Sending you my thoughts and black magic spells." Theyll ask about my black magic spells and I will say, "yeah my incantations were sent to satan for you to get better... don't worry I asked Satan to look out for you."

And as awkward as that person will feel is as nauseating I feel when I see it and hear it over and over and over again.

Oh. Well when you put it that way it doesn't sound idiotic at all. Someone posting 'prayers sent' on the wall of a third parties FB page is certainly disrespectful to you and your beliefs. It's definitely not you choosing to be affronted to enable a sense of victimhood.

And I realize that you probably weren't serious, but kudos on the plan to start posting about black magic and Satan. The two inclinations (posting 'prayers sent' in an effort to express sympathy and your posting about incantations) are certainly analogous.

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

reply to post by skalla

It was more of an attempt to make believers understand not only that religion is archaic but faking religion is just asinine. I left religion long after I lost faith. I lost faith when I gained knowledge. I left religion when I realized how much more "holy" I was than those who practiced religion.

Ok, I understand this a bit better now. You are more holy (however you want to define that) and knowledgeable than believers and it's your duty to straighten them out and let them know how wrong they are. Especially those that are faking it. Which you know they do via your amazing psychic powers.

Thanks for bravely stepping up and fighting the tyranny of the less enlightened. It takes a special individual to take such umbrage at the actions of those wishing others well in the form of praying for them (or claiming they are).

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Cancer sucks. My sister's recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Hers also sucks. ...now with that said, as a Christian, I will in fact pray for you.

Thank you, cancer does indeed suck. I will remember your sister in my prayers as well.

Even though I don't believe in the God portrayed in the bible I do believe in the power of prayer.

Don't let your sister get discouraged no matter how rough it gets. Attitude is way more important when it comes to getting better than anything the doctor can prescribe.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

That is true. I am the crusader of knowledge and enlightenment. Gone are the days of praying to imaginary gods, nonsensical rituals, and fighting religious sects.

Oh and yes cancer Sucks. My aunt recently died of cancer. Well actually it was the starvation that killed her. My mother is her sister, she is a believer in God. She prayed. I guess she didn't pray enough for her recovery. Or maybe we should have asked for more Facebook prayers.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I have a brother like you, something happened that caused him grief years ago and now he too hates all Christians and anyone who has a caring heart. I watch his anger eat away at him what a waste. Let me guess if you sneeze and someone says "bless you" you have a hissyfit?

I think because this is not Facebook your rant didn't and won't have the effect that you were hoping for. You should go to your Facebook page and delete every one of the Christians and anyone else who would be so kind as to wish you their thoughts and prayers, they are after all wasted on you.

It sucks you are in pain i'm not a doctor but I could almost guarantee that if you keep the negativity going your body will eat itself away too. I would suggest you take up a hobby that makes you happy, maybe donating time for others in pain or maybe some time away from people all together in the woods and all it's splendor. Or a trip back to the doctor for some advice on how to handle your anger and sadness.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
How cynical are you that you take a nice gesture and get all huffy and puffy about it? You're the ones with the problem.

I'm not religious either, but I'll be damned if I wasn't raised better than to turn my nose up when someone says Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or God Bless You.

edit on 8/22/13 by TheTalentedMrBryant because: I prayed on it

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It would be a dull world if we were all alike.

I wish you could of just said your peace without having to take so much heat for feelings you are entitled to because you are you, but this is ATS and people everywhere have worthwhile, valid thoughts, too.

Wish you happiness, good health and love.
edit on 8/22/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DynamikeIf you claim to be Christian and then post things like this then dont even bother claiming to be a Christian. Because it only proves that you are not.

I am an atheist/agnostic but I have more respect for those Christians who understand whats wrong with Christianity today- that people treat it as a status symbol.

So...true christians don't believe in prayer? Not sure how that makes sense, but ok

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

I'm not even christian and I find your post more annoying than what you speak of. If there's one thing I dislike more than an obnoxious christian's blind optimism, it's a pseudo-intellectual's fascist orders. Don't tell people what to do. Find a way to live your life around other people's lives, rather than imposing your own ignorant will upon them.

Take your authoritarian drivel back to facebook. ATS is a place of denying ignorance, not perpetuating it.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
In a world thats greatly lacking in compassion there nothing wrong with people choosing to show compassion to other .. it could be that they dont have the finances or resources to help in more concrete ways .. so they choose to do so with their thoughts and prayers .. the world is a cold enough place already dont go making it colder by killing the spirit of compassion in people ..

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
network error
edit on 23/8/13 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join