It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Thoughts and prayers go out to..." - Please stop putting this in your Facebook posts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Hey all you Christians, here is one reason why you make religion look bad. When one of you gets hurt or sick you post on Facebook, "Oh my thoughts and prayers go out to you." "Sending you our thoughts and prayers."

I don't want your prayers nor do I want to hear about them. If your God doesn't answer prayers to stop children from being molested then what makes you think your God will make my immune system work faster? If I were a Christian then I would be furious at those people parading to be fellow Christians and posting comments such as these.

If you truly truly believe prayers are useful- and by this I mean you think you are haughty enough to tell God what is wrong as if he does not know, and on top of it ask for him to get off his lazy butt and do something about it- then how about you pray for him to take out some of the CO2 from our atmosphere.

But seriously though, back to my main point. Religion is a joke to all of you. It is just a fad. You throw around comments like these without the worry of the weight carried with them. If you claim to be Christian and then post things like this then dont even bother claiming to be a Christian. Because it only proves that you are not.

I am an atheist/agnostic but I have more respect for those Christians who understand whats wrong with Christianity today- that people treat it as a status symbol.

Many years ago it was the people who did not believe in God who were rebels and had low morals. Today however the majority of people I know claim to be Christian and yet they are the most immoral people I know. They lie, cheat, steal, judge, spread rumors, and hurt others. The hand full of fellow atheist/agnostics I know are humble, non-judgmental, honest, respectable people who wouldn't hurt a fly.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

Are you a cop?

Sending you my thoughts and prayers.

Get well soon.

# 44

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

judging by your avatar...you also look like a model christian

Riot gear and a shooter...but...wouldn't hurt a fly

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Why the hostility? Did a christian touch you somewhere bad when you were little or something?

Just unfriend your christian "friends" on facebook if you're so tired of people offering to send up prayers for your health and well being. This really should be in Rant forums.

I'm living with stage 4 cancer, so personally I'll take all the Jesus, Buddha, Yahweh, (whatever) prayers I can get!

Praying for people.....such an evil and hideous thing alright.....

edit on 21-8-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

You do realize there is still a first amendment correct?

You're a Fascist. Get over yourself.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I'm not in the slightest bit religious but I don't see the problem with people sending their best wishes and prayers to people who are having problems nor do I see how that makes their religion look bad , pedophile priests and intolerance of others make their religion look bad .
As individuals it just shows they have empathy which by the tone of your post you don't .

edit on 21-8-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Chill out dude. If polyannas and other people who have 'be nice' personalities on facebook bug you so much ... then just get off facebook. Otherwise ... just tolerate it. (and I'm saying that as a person who doesn't like polyannas)

(Maybe this belongs in the RANT forum instead of the Religious discussion forum ??)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

Why the hostility? Did a christian touch you somewhere bad when you were little or something?

Just unfriend your christian "friends" on facebook if you're so tired of people offering to send up prayers for your health and well being. This really should be in Rant forums.

I'm living with stage 4 cancer, so personally I'll take all the Jesus, Buddha, Yahweh, (whatever) prayers I can get!

Praying for people.....such an evil and hideous thing alright.....

edit on 21-8-2013 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

Cancer sucks.
My sister's recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Hers also sucks.

...now with that said, as a Christian, I will in fact pray for you.

I find it amazing that someone could have a problem with the fact that a Christian actually cares enough to put time into praying for someone else. Agree or don't, that's your choice, but regardless, don't put someone down for actually taking the time to care.

The question over morality, goodness and a sinful world (e.g. "why does a good God allow bad things to happen?") is an entirely different question; one that still deserves an answer.

There are some good answers to this question online, and some really bad ones. However, from a Biblical point of view, I'd consider these to be accurate:

www.bethinking.org...

www.christianpost.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Meh.

Dont use Facebook? Unfriend them? Unsubscribe? Chill the feck out? Dont have a stupid macho dick avatar? who cares?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, your talking mostly about Christians, but what about us of other beliefs? Thoughts and prayers don't exactly mean the same thing to us, but they are still well wishes, and hopes of better things to you.

What ever happened to "It's the thought that counts"?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
"Waaaaaaaaaah", move this to the Rant forum.

You're only whining about your subjective experiences on Facebook.
edit on 21-8-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Oh no. How dare someone send you well wishes in good faith? Would you prefer them to tell you 'Rot in hell, Heathen?' when you or someone announces they have a cold?

Dang, Christians can't win.
If you're kind, it's fake and shallow and 'do-goodish.' If you do something bad, then 'some Christian you are.'

I'm going to smack people over the head with a newspaper next time they tell me 'Get well soon, Ash!' Those crazy self righteous posers.'

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
To answer a few questions:

- I am a swat operator. I work hostage situations, felons who want to go out guns blazing, active shooters, etc. I put my life on the line to catch the worst of the worst so please don't poke fun.

- This is not a rant. I am telling those who claim to be Christians what they look like to those who are not. I know some respectable devoted Christians who would easily agree with my post because I am not Christian bashing, I am phony-Christian bashing. I am giving a reality check on the status of Christianity today.

And I am not talking just about Facebook prayers. I am just using this as an example of what Christianity today is for most of you. Those who claim to be Christians but have never read the Bible, or practiced its teachings, should not present themselves as Christians. Perhaps they should present themselves as Theists.

I do not think that being polite is wrong or hateful. I know that some of you are just being polite when you say thoughts and prayers. I get that. But there are other ways of being polite. For instance when an old co-worker of mine had his house burn down people passed around a card that everyone signed. In it everyone said the same thing, "Thoughts and prayers." Well I gave him a spare key to my house and invited his family to stay with mine. I did not need to pray for God to do anything, I chose to do what he would have done himself.

The point I am trying to make is that you are either Christian, or you are not. You can't just throw a cross tattoo on your wrist or dangle a charm from your necklace and expect God to make things right just because you ask him to. I left religion because of people like that.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamike
To answer a few questions:

- I am a swat operator. I work hostage situations, felons who want to go out guns blazing, active shooters, etc. I put my life on the line to catch the worst of the worst so please don't poke fun.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Thank you, i'm here all week

Take my wife, please etc etc etc
edit on 21-8-2013 by skalla because: classic "jokes"

bleh, just noticed someone beat me to it ages ago, therefore #45

edit on 21-8-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

You say "as an example of what Christianity today is for most of you" , how do you know it's any different today than a few hundred years ago , sure people believed but did they all believe as strongly as each other or follow the teachings to the same degree ? , I think for some it's more a source of comfort than something to live their lives by .

The way I see it as a none Christian is its no different to many things ,some buy into it wholeheartedly ,some to a lesser extent but they all sit under the same banner and consume the brand .

I left religion because of people like that.

Are you sure you're not just blaming them for your loss of faith ?

edit on 21-8-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Quite, it seems to be about the image - giving up religion because of how others make it look. How does this change a faith's intent and meaning? Kinda makes the OP look like the fake-o christian that is being complained about.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great,a fun thread to keep an eye on.I will be back later with popcorn
and cookies!
There have been members here that I have prayed for and some have
prayed for me and my son.
On facebook I post everything that will place me on a list somewhere.

1.I am a christian lady
2.I am a patriot
3.I am a pistol packin' mama with a licence to carry

4.I am very outspoken against a certain religion that shall remain nameless
for T&C purposes.

Trust me,I will be back on this thread later to see how it is going.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Here's what I don't get: Why are you coming to ATS about a complaint you have about people on another site? For goodness sakes, why not just take this to the other site?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A few years ago I went in for some major surgery. A neighbor (Mormon) asked if he could do a blessing on me.

Duh!

I'd wear voodoo beads if I thought it would help!

Prayers (to some people) are a very powerful thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join