It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF scenario for you to consider....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm
reply to post by spartacus699

I would lay down and die on the spot.

I mean is that not the logical thing to do?

Are these threads meant to offer or ask for some form of education regarding survival skills or do you just like to fantasize about potential SHTF scenarios and are just asking some random questions to adhere to form?

Read an article a long time ago that said people who play out these scenarios in their heads over and over are way ahead of the curve when an emergency does happen and don't usually freeze up.

Kinda the same way the military plays war games.

Think about different scenarios and work it out in your head now and brainstorm a little....could save you some grief down the road.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Well, that is true, visualisation is a great tool.

I was just wondering what his deal was. Granted, this thread was zombie-free, but do we really need to run zombie scenarios?

Turns out he is just getting ideas for his story,

Well the story I'm working on is called "Fallout", so ya it's a slight apocalypse fetish I think

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I try to live that way already, as much as possible, as in already switching over to a mostly vegan, raw diet, growing food etc, and do a lot of camping and getting off the grid and surviving before it is a forced issue.

It is VERY fun, and empowering.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Your sneaking up and burning the barn at night idea won't work. We'll have a pretty decent sized group here come SHTF, and that includes plenty of sentries (using nightvision scopes with rechargeable batteries, and behind cinder block pillboxes, with radios to other sentries). Approaching at night is a good way to end up dead instantly. Even in the trading post scenario, it will be clear that any night approachers will be seen as hostiles and killed instantly.

What if it's a hot chic?

Then I'll be even more suspicious. And I'll assume she's a diversion, so every sentry will be on high alert, and the other folks inside will be readying their weapons too.

But I think even without a gun you'd have a chance to take out some criminal types that way.

Sure, but not an armed and prepared group. Your best bet then would be to wait until nightfall and pick the farthest point in the fields, and pick some crops to eat, hopefully without being seen. Even if you were, would be at long range, so a good chance the shots miss. THAT would be the plan if you wanted to live. To be honest, if my sentries just saw you taking a small amount to live off, we'd just fire warning shots your way, after you had a chance to grab a little. But, on the second night, we'll shoot sooner and closer. Make it a third night, and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I've thought about these scenarios far more than is probably healthy, but please feel free to message me if you need some ideas. I've done a lot of the tactical research already myself, so could certainly advise.
edit on 13-9-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Another thought, how many farmers don't own big dogs that can certainly damage a human?

Any?

Nope, didn't think so. We all do (and I've never met a farmer who had only ONE). Something to consider before entering a farmer's yard post SHTF. In my neighborhood, you'd encounter a host of pits, chows, akitas, rots, and others amongst the 25 most dangerous list. Heck, one of mine is a mix between two in the top 5, lol.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I never worry about a SHTF situation.....I'll just leave it to ole Hank Jr. to explain why.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
what you could do is write a note and place it somewhere where they could find it. Place it there at night. And say something like "If you could help me place a white flag up on top of your house tomorrow and when I see it I'll come to your front gate at 3pm"...or something like that.

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Water would be a tough one, but not impossible to find. In my area there is food all around, although most people do not consider it food and it doesn't taste great, raw green things can sustain you for a while. They would not keep you at optimum health but would keep you alive. If there was no electricity, staying near others who were also desperate would be the last thing I'd want to do. I would not want to even so much as see anyone that had not prepared themselves at least mentally for this, because they would be the ones prone to desperate behavior. I would get away from people... I would hide. I would already have the discomfort of no electricity and no water that is just ready for me to drink... so there would be no point in staying inside. (which reminds me that I have been wanting to buy a handcrank water pump in case the power goes out for a long period but I would have to have permission to modify the housing on what is already there) The heat inside would rise to unbearable temperatures and it would actually be cooler outside in the shade... hunkering down... hiding from all humanity. the bugs would drive me crazy though and I would have to find water... but go find people? HELL no. Not unless they could get me somewhere else where there was stuff I was used to. i wouldn't set out immediately. I would wait a little while and say/do very little and if things didn't improve and things started getting weird.... I would get away somehow and go hide, but you have to be careful hiding even in the woods, because there are people out there too. There will be hunters. there will be other dangerous things.. but people are the most dangerous. i would rather die of weakness and dehydration than to have to experience pure chaos coming from desperate people. I would wait, observe and see if any stability came back and then I might come out of hiding.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Most places have water, just need to know where to look. For example, in the city:

1) Toilets (in the tank, not bowl)
2) Garden Hoses (lots of water still in the hoses)
3) Water Heaters
4) Office Buildings (most have water coolers and spare water jugs for those coolers)
5) Swimming Pools
6) Fountains
7) Water Pipes

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I would burn the farmland and try to throw a dead body in the nearby well to contaminate the groundwater and then order a squirrel pizza with mushrooms.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I would use firey arrows late at night

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
first off i already have a gun so in this situation i would have a gun deadly at 1000 yards. second off i would go to a hippie commune, become something like a walter e. kurtz (bad guy from apocalypse now) with a sun tzu flare (helluva general) teach everybody how to skin a deer, slaughter a cow, train the commune goers in the ways of combat and start raiding the powers that be who threw the chit at the fan, put chit on a hammer and give the powers that be a lobotomy sanchez

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Bah, I'd just resort to thievery and try to scrape together a basic survival kit to head off into the bush with. There's a ton of easily accessible goodies everywhere you look, if you know where to look, and how to be stealth about it.

An important aspect of survival skills is knowing how to be stealth, patient, and able to assess your surroundings without being detected. You become "the hunter".

But I wouldn't bother trying to steal from a well prepared farm (unless they were idiots and left things lying around outside for easy pickins late at night).

Where there's farms, there's small towns/gas stations/etc strewn about.

There's also a lot of rural houses in the surrounding areas near small towns where the inhabitants are not farmers/country-savvy type of people in today's modern world. You're bound to find one where, whoever the inhabitants are, haven't made it home yet. You'd be surprised how many people live a half hour to an hour's drive from the nearest city and commute every day for work... and they haven't a bloody clue how to live off the land and/or any survival skills off the grid, they just live in a house outside the city but still live a city life.

We country folk call them "citidiots".

posted on Sep, 26 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

this is how sick we are as a society, ,
I have talked to my neighbors about the #F and this is what they say:
"Anyone that comes near, get's lead no questions asked"
"Help others?ARE YOU MAD"
" they better keep moving on , I might give them one day of supplies if they keep their distance " and this one

" help others in need ?? ill be in need who'll help me, won't trust no one not even you, got to much to lose"

this is what i said to that one: ,
but you will need help why not have someone help you? ,
at no avail

"Why so they can kill me or take what i have ? no way ill make do, i know how to shoot and have lot's of ammo , when i run out ill set fire and burn it down, house and field... barn burn it all, if i can not have it, no one can. what about your livestock ?
'them too ill take them with me , like I said I can't have them , no one can"
thought to myself precooked pork and beef, and do i have a plan for you when the time comes

of the 20 or so people that have small fields or farms around me [walking distance] not one was willing to help out his her fellow man, it seems if and when it does happen, it will be a free for all! a kill or be killed a take by force or defend by force. as for me ill will share what I got., ....see above, eggs and bacon every friday

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Spartacus, may I respectfully suggest you get a spell checker, or at the very least a good proof reader?
I don't mind spelling errors on ATS where many people are using those godforsaken miniature keypads but
in a novel it's my pet peeve.

As far as your scenario goes things would have to have gone horribly wrong with my preparations in order to be in that situation. I would approach in the least offensive manner possible and offer my experience (country living and hard times) and my back (labor) in trade for sustenance.

Either alternative is better than starving to death. I'd be shot on the spot or accepted.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join