It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German goverment warns of Windows 8

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Microsoft made a windows dependant world. Just shut the window and open the door.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Are we seriously expected to believe that the NSA could not have full access to our computers if we used Windows 95?

Doesn't matter what operating system you use. If you are online, they can see and control everything if they want to.
edit on 23/8/13 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asikakim
Microsoft made a windows dependant world. Just shut the window and open the door.

The next version of the MS OS will be called WinDoors

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Considering you vocational choice, you know as well as I do that unless you block port 80, anyone and their uncle can get in. The catch-22 is that blocking port 80 also blocks the web browsers. The ONLY truly secure from intrusion system is one not connected to any network.

While there is some truth in the above quote, it's a misonmer.
The first part is wholeheartedly untrue. The second part (about the only true secure system) is true.
I'll explain why:

TCP/IP does not require a port to be open to communicate. Hold on there Tex', I'm not done yet.
Services, more commonly known was "Servers" require ports to be open. Web Servers require port 80 be open so they can serve up - you guessed it - Web Pages!

When surfing the Internet, you do not need to have port 80 open. As a matter of fact, your web browser isn't even using port 80 (on your host) to communicate! It can (and does) open ports above the common port ranges (typically above 1024) to initiate the connection and THEN connects to port 80 on the server.
Illustratively, it works like this :
Packet Header: tcp source port 15535 outbound to tcp destination port 80.

The SERVER needs it's ports open, the SOURCE does not. You could close all inbound and outbound ports on a host and still surf the good ole' net just fine.

Now if you configure your firewall to block all outbound *connections* from your host you'll have problems.
Servers don't and should not have any need to connect to YOU. You **ALWAYS** Connect to the SERVER.
Thus, a properly configured firewall will indeed protect your systems from remote intrusion.
Even if the software "phones home".

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Windows 8 is a pain to use anyways

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
reply to post by stormcell

Even if it does who really cares?

Spying on the average American would be like you spying on your Grandmother in the shower. Sure you get a show, but is there really anything there you want or need to see?

This is for all of you who think "I have nothing to hide"...

www.theguardian.com...

My family's Google searching got us a visit from counterterrorism police
Officers showed up at our home on Long Island, New York, suspecting we were terrorists because we looked up info on pressure cookers and backpacks

edit on 24-8-2013 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Here is an animation for those who do not have any idea what TC means and is. Sadly ATS won´t let me include this as link so you have to remove the spaces or simply type it.

www.lafk o n . n e t/tc

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Why did they stop using one of the best operating systems they've made, thus far, in Windows XP? Also, why are people so paranoid, when it comes to the internet? Stop putting your sensitive information, on the computer you use for the internet, and all over facebook. Don't do any financial transactions via the internet, either. Nothing is "secure".

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

has anyone noticed how every version of Windows gets more complex and counter-intuitive with each release? instead of simplifying things, it becomes more multi-layered and overall more challenging to the computer's hardware haha... is that really progress??
although i have it because i recently bought a laptop that is (hopefully) fast enough to have a portable studio, i think its funny how Microsoft pretends like people should have PRIDE in their overpriced, conveluded product that has more in common with a spammy internet site than an operating system haha.

i mean "X-box music player" is what they've "graciously included" for our music listening needs, but really its just an incredibly bad imitation of iTunes, but gives the user even LESS control and leaves you no alternative but to gaze at whatever Pop crap they're trying to shove down our throats this month..

i guess you could say i'm not Bill's biggest fan..?

the only positive way to look at the current condition of technology is that its really set the bar pretty low as far as the standards of innovation go..

i've been reading the following wikipedia page since i was about 15 and have yet to see any application of the technology:

en.wikipedia.org...
what kind of operating system will be implimented when a computer uses pure analog physics to compute, instead of binary, human-based logic..?

and then you have this page which is half glimmer-of-hope and half ominous-shape-of-things-that-might-come haha...

en.wikipedia.org...

only time will tell..

-St1
edit on 24-8-2013 by HyphenSt1 because: forgot to include second link!

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
LOL. Do you remember the DOS old day? A solid system and nothing to do with it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS, Mr Pope. Your willingness to answer a wide range of questions on the UFO subject on this forum is greatly appreciated.

You have already mentioned the Calvine (Perthshire) UFO incident, but I am intrigued by just how detailed the photograph was that you had pinned up on the wall in your office. Can you elaborate on this? I assume that the shape was clearly defined, but could you see any other details (lights, windows, antennae etc)? Are you convinced that the photograph was genuine, and not some kind of hoax?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I just bought a new computer with Windows 8 on it and I HATE IT!
Bizarre layout, no tabs to close webpages.........this is a operating system?
Oh XP professional, where are you?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join