It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German goverment warns of Windows 8

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JameSimon

So basically, yes we are just going to ignore those facts now. I get it.

Windows has always had problems, everyone knows that to be true. It has always been unstable, full of security holes and prone to massively destructive viruses. That's what happens when you steal an idea from another company and do a piss poor job of it, unless of course we are also going to pretend that Apple hasn't been beating the snot out of Microsoft for years by developing more reliable well designed products.

I don't hate my government at all, i hate what they do sometimes in the name of freedom and democracy while pushing their own economic agendas but i know its a much better course of action then those chosen by China, Russia, Syria, Iraq, etc...

In the end i think Dennis Miller said it best....

America may be the best country in the world, but that's kind of like being the valedictorian of summer school.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dlbott

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
reply to post by Ameilia

I didn't hear a shred of "ignorance" or "arrogance" in ManFromEurope's post.

So that's just not fair.

What he is doing is stating a series of undeniable facts that Americans need to wake up to.

Fast.
edit on 21-8-2013 by antoinemarionette because: (no reason given)

Then you are obviously not reading the same page or don't know any of us Americans. We are awake and fully

aware of what is happening

The Bot

So it should be a prominent thing on the "New Topics"-page, right?... Well... No, it is grossly underrepresented, in my opinion.

There was no sarcasm in my posting. Whatever the NSA is doing (right now, this: WSJ), there is no uproar or even some kind of online-rally against those blackhats! Nothing! Nada!

What, the british Guardian had to destroy some harddisks with infos from Snowden on them? ... Hey, lets talk about Obama and how some govenor tells us how much he hates the white!

If this is the best the "informed" and "concerned" people of the USA can bring on, we are all doomed. Thank you.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
reply to post by JameSimon

So basically, yes we are just going to ignore those facts now. I get it.

Windows has always had problems, everyone knows that to be true. It has always been unstable, full of security holes and prone to massively destructive viruses. That's what happens when you steal an idea from another company and do a piss poor job of it, unless of course we are also going to pretend that Apple hasn't been beating the snot out of Microsoft for years by developing more reliable well designed products.

I don't hate my government at all, i hate what they do sometimes in the name of freedom and democracy while pushing their own economic agendas but i know its a much better course of action then those chosen by China, Russia, Syria, Iraq, etc...

In the end i think Dennis Miller said it best....

America may be the best country in the world, but that's kind of like being the valedictorian of summer school.

You are so wrong at so many levels about Microsoft and Apple products that it's not even funny. This is being said by a person that works with both on a daily basis, me. Windows 8 is a piss poor attempt at an operating system, but the core is fast and reliable, it's just the UI that sucks.

And regarding your government, no it isn't. I don't see Russia invading every country just because of Oil. Same with China. The problem with USA government and some of the population is that you think you are superior to the rest of mankind and that your "democracy" is better than others. News flash, it's not, and most of your foreign politics are despicable.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

You say "you people" as if Americans aren't human beings, as if every American is the same. As if Americans don't care what the NSA is doing. As if you are better than any American. Get off your high horse, plenty of Americans are outraged.

That excuse can be attributed but not claimed, a society has the government they are willing to endure. If Americans in general have no blame they should do something about it or at least protest louder as to clearly separate the blameless from the supporters or even elucidate the passive. The excuse has only validity by action..

edit on 21-8-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
reply to post by dlbott

I am American and I am in America.

Fully awake and aware? You must not have watched Fox News of late.

Watch fox, lol your kidding right? Only if I want to be brain washed, literally. Or if I need a good laugh, but Even then only for a very short time.

Fox news is a very dangerous organization and always has an agenda and does not apologize for it.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

uh yeah... I was kidding... (note funny, laughing head
).

There is a significant portion of the American population that actually believes the bile spewed forth by Fox News, I am sorry to say.

I was responding to the comment by Amelia, regarding the "awakened awareness" of the US population.
edit on 21-8-2013 by antoinemarionette because: edit

edit on 21-8-2013 by antoinemarionette because: edit

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

All news channels have a slant, I've been watching RT and PressTV for a time and not as brain-dead as Fox (don't get it here but have seen clips) but the propaganda is also very thick there... One needs to use his own brain the Internet still seems the most unmanaged way to get information (if you stay away from the mainstream sources) but also much trash...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Actually if the information that Snowden released is accurate then you might just want to rethink how you think.

If the NSA has been doing this for years then they not only knew who was hacking them they actually knew their location.

If they actually had that kind of information do you really think that China got any more information than they allowed them to have.

My thinking is that the US only allowed China to access information that was completely outdated.

The more I think about this whole scandal the more I question what I have been lead to believe.
edit on 21-8-2013 by Diisenchanted because: we to I

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
The NSA/Snowden-affair WILL cost the IT-industry billions of dollars, and has already. All because foreign companies are not trusting the security of their data in the US-based cloud services anymore.

Hey, thank you, NSA.

We will save our data over here, because, you know.. your spying and copying of our companies valuable data as soon as it crosses into the USA!

And this will cost you dearly. Really, really dearly.

Maybe you people over there haven't realized it yet (NSA spying on other countries? Who cares?), but no *freaking* company in the world is trusting your cloud services anymore!

Have a nice one!

Reading this post I would say ignorance (does) or is bliss. You guys and gals are just not getting it. Your data is not safe no matter where it is, there are no borders in cyberspace.

And it is not just America. China has a fully funded military hacking unit and by most accounts is the best in the world.

This is a world wide phenomenon.. Your best bet is to turn off electronics, TV,'s with cameras etc., anything with a chip in it. Go old school. Lol.

The Bot

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

OK

Can you show sources of any government agency anywhere that is conducting the level of spying that the NSA is currently capable of?

I'd love to see the link

PRISM itself doesn't generate new information. Instead, it perches atop the architecture of the internet like a gargoyle, and gathers everything that passes through. PRISM currently accesses data from nine companies: Micrsoft, Google, Yahoo!, Facebook, PalTalk, YouTube, Skype, AOL, and Apple. Microsoft joined first in 2007, with Apple becoming part of the program last, in 2012. While the law that authorized this program was set to expire in 2012, Congress passed a re-authorization extending it to 2017.

NSA's Spying Program
edit on 21-8-2013 by antoinemarionette because: added quote

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RageAgainstFascism

No surprises Windows 7, Xp and 2000 were also backdoors. The world should return to windows 98.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
As soon as the story broke about the USA and UK Governments spying on individuals, my first thought was No, I think this is far more sly than that, its about spying on firms and grabbing business information.

Being realistic how many kids own mobiles and chatter like mad about all sorts of things, imagine storing that lot. OK they might use key words etc but, if kids are discussing a film up could well come a number of key words so all that data gets stored. I have always thought though that this is also about keeping watch of firms not contracted to the various governments and probably trying to steal their research or information. Its also about manipulation of the markets etc - news about a new breakthrough first hand before its announced etc.

No government is that interested in the everyday calls of ordinary people. They would have really honed their listening to people of risk, so why the widespread net?

What gets me though is that their listening experts should have been able to see all the bank frauds from various E mails and calls etc yet they don't seem to get involved in mass fraud of the public and rate fixing which their soft-ware would pick up - strange that!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by ManFromEurope

cloud services

I'm starting to think...this cloud thingie was invented for easier manipulation and spying, but was sold as IT progress...

In fact it stinks of centralization of power and surveillance.

Like almost anything, technology can be used for good or bad. I think the cloud concept (I hate that word, btw) is not a bad idea. Unfortunately most users are unaware of the security risks involved.

If you must use cloud storage, I recommend to at least to encrypt your personal data using a tool such as truecrypt, which is freely available and supported by any OS.

To protect your e-mails in the cloud, take a look at OpenPGP. It's also free and open source software.

Just because they can see anything, doesn't mean we should make things easy

edit on 21-8-2013 by RageAgainstFascism because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I don't know if Windows 8 is a backdoor or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has a revolving door for all the alphabet agencies. I was a beta tester for W8 and was very pleased with how well it ran, even on older machines. I really thought MS made a great OS. Than they finally released it, metro (or "modern") and all that jazz. Now? I can't stand it. I've been trying for the past couple of months to get into W8, but I just can't. It's 50% designed for tablets and 50% designed for desktops and works like crap on both. But I digress.

95% of the time, I use Mac OS. It's probably no better when it comes to backdoors, but it's at least not W8. I warmly recommend anyone who doesn't have to use a mainstream operating system for work or their software to look into alternatives. Like Linux and the various flavours it has. Like "Tails", a very tight Linux distro designed for security and privacy.

Even your run of the mill Ubuntu or Fedora distro will be a good alternative. As for Windows, I think I'll be installing Windows for Workgroups 3.11 again!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
reply to post by ManFromEurope

cloud services

the service it self raised eyebrows to begin with...I always had an issue..."who would want their data exposed to some third party..."

I'm starting to think...this cloud thingie was invented for easier manipulation and spying, but was sold as IT progress...

In fact it stinks of centralization of power and surveillance.

Of course it does, how can it not. You can imagine the working group on 'how to get more info from people willingly', how about we store all their info for them and dress it up as progress, the sheep are sufficiently dumbed down now to accept that it is in their best interests as they can access it anywhere in the world, sorry i've always been able to do that and i store everything at home

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
If this is the best the "informed" and "concerned" people of the USA can bring on, we are all doomed. Thank you.

I "predicted" this a while ago already.

I said the only outrage over the Snowden leak scandal will come from OTHER countries, mainly Germany.

Low and behold, several weeks later Germany made news because they criticized the US harshly due to the leak that the US is spying on many foreign "allies"...and NOW...low and behold, it's GERMANY AGAIN.

This alone should be an eye-opener to you that NOTHING in the slightest will come from the US itself since the populace has not even remotely a sense of privacy (or what's going on for that matter) and what relevance and implication the entire affair really has.

For the US, it's the "Snowden story"...the actual story, the leak, is LESS interesting than to debate the faith of Mr. Snowden. The scandal has become a soap opera where not the leak plays a role, BUT THE PERSONA MR. SNOWDEN.

And I foresaw it coming like that just days after the leak broke because I KNEW instantly that activity and outrage will come from Germany and NOT the US.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Sooner or later the government has to learn that it has to follow the same rules it expects its citizens to follow and that the Constitution is not just some piece of paper.
That will not happen until the US does what Germany did, which was to declare Black Box Voting a Crime Against Humanity.
We have to get back to hand-counted hard-copy ballots before we will ever see accountability from our supposed government, until then, we should expect the criminal looting field-day that we are experiencing right now.
Politicians will keep their smugness as long as they know all the elections are as rigged as our communications system is hacked.
edit on 21-8-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Unfortunetly Im sure every Windows from the very beginning has had a backdoor. In the 80's there was a tech guy who worked for a major computer Co, and everytime he left his house, he turned off the computer, unpugged the main power, and then unplugged the telephone line. He said since the beginning there have been backdoors put in place, that can be accessed even if your computer is not on, but hooked up to a land line, and that was the 80's. So this is not new, what is new, is that more and more people are becoming aware of this blatant attack on peoples privacy.

Americans are just as upset as every other nation about the NSA. there is no reason to blame the American citizen here. We have all be scammed by the people in power, and not just America has done these attacks on privacy. We need to clean house, clean World

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Good to see the world is awaking.

Cloud! its run by the NSA....
they store all your data and Get You to Pay for IT!
Great idea.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join