It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There Something Wrong With EARThQUAKE USGS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Something very strange when I went to check out earthquakes just now....I have never seen this few 2.5 + earthquakes in a 24 hour period in the 5 years or so that I have kept track....has anyone else noticed this lack of activity before?

1 Day, Magnitude 2.5+ Worldwide
13 earthquakes - DownloadUpdated: 2013-08-20 23:17:05 UTC-04:00Showing event times using Local System Time (UTC-04:00)13 earthquakes in map area

Soul

PS. Could this be the calm before the proverbial storm?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Hmm...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

^this might be of interest to you.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The map only shows quakes from today. I think its buggy.

I need to learn to read better...or slower.
edit on 8/20/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

let me guess someone already made reference to this.....and here I thought little old me would be the only one to bring up lack of earthquakes....go figure....

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

They show a one day period of activity I thought which would be for a 24 hour period continuously....there is a way to see more activity, but I just thought it was weird to see so few of them....I have been going to this site everyday for 5 years never seen this few...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
hate the new map. hates it precious. I miss the red boxes as opposed to the orange blobs. Call it nit-picking.
On topic tho that may quakes is normal.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Maybe there is something wrong with the site, have you tried IRIS or any other global seismic monitoring sites?

The PRF is very active at the moment.

Even is there are less earthquakes it doesn't mean the big one is any more likely than when there are many occurring .

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Fortunately there are multiple displays and it's been pretty busy actually. Small, but busy.

IRIS Main Map

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
When the earthquake numbers drop really low, it is usually followed by a doozie somewhere on the planet. I hope it is a malfunction of the site.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I've seen the USGS this quiet before. To be honest, I've seen it as quiet as 11 (though I'm sure an EQ or a few were added after the fact bumping that total up a little) I can't say for sure that a quiet spell always equates to a sharp or noticeable uptick in magnitude or numbers. Offhand, I can think of post-quiet spells that went up marginally in terms of activity & magnitude, and others that had doozies.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Yeah there has been 165 overall but smaller than 2.5, only 13 over....thanks for the iris web site I will have to check it out.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

Yeah well I don't think it is going to necessarily preclude the "BIG ONE", just that average is usually higher day to day, maybe I have seen it as low once and maybe I missed a day....but I seem to feel that there will be a multitude of 5+ quakes that occur rapidly in a very short period of time in multiple areas.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I felt we have been due for a doozy for some time, and now so even more due to this inactivity I see today, perhaps the new moon is going to be very active this coming week, but I did expect something sooner.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

There has been much activity just not many over 2.5...that being said I really don't really think anything is wrong with the site...it was a tongue in cheek kind of title....sorry, anyway...we are going to see some major activity soon I feel.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Yeah I don't necessarily equate it either, just feels as though we are in for some major activity soon. There was a day this past week where I saw over 280 earthquakes and that included over 75 2.5+ of which 40 were 4.5+ and now very quiet.....just seems as though that was a precursor and i have seen much volcanic activity lately, also, there were some solar flares I saw a warning about.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Something very strange when I went to check out earthquakes just now....I have never seen this few 2.5 + earthquakes in a 24 hour period in the 5 years or so that I have kept track....has anyone else noticed this lack of activity before?

If you download the data, you will find four days since the beginning of this year which had lower counts. The current count (as of this writing) for 8/20 is 18. The lower count dates were 1/24 (16), 1/26 (17), 7/10 (17) and 7/25 (17). There were also 3 days with a count of 19.

There is nothing really remarkable going on here.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BayesLike

Here's a little chart with the low count days highlighted in red. The vertical axis is in Ln(counts), which works better than just the counts. SQRT(counts) may or may not be more appropriate for getting a symmetric chart. I'll have to look into that with a longer dataset. You can see that the big count days do not appear follow these low count days. But there aren't very many of them.... I suspect the big count days occur on or just after major EQs.

There's maybe a hint that these low count days are the beginning of a typically multimonth period of increasing counts at least once or twice. It's not at all clear with this tiny dataset over a short time period that this will hold up either. I might try pulling a few decades of data if the server will let me do that. But that would be another posting.

Darn, the server balks at more than 20k records, and I need about 550k records. I'll try to find out if there is another way to get the longer dataset.

edit on 21-8-2013 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join