It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No Muslim parking' signs spark outrage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You are totally misunderstanding my point, which is odd because I basically agree with your take on the situation. Guess I would have to use different words.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
how do we know this was serious and not just a prank

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You are totally misunderstanding my point
perhaps i am.
that could be a good reason for my comments.

it's good to hear that we basically agree but i still don't understand why you seem to hold to the opinion that public use of a private location is somehow protected by law

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

The particular group happens to be the sole users of the business/venue creating the problem. The venue's SOLE purpose is to serve that specific group. So...in terms of addressing their parking without being customers? The wording could have been much better. We all pretty much agree on that...but that's about the extent of the 'crime', IMO.

No discrimination when the group being 'discriminated' against IS the group and the sole group making the issue to make signs for.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Parking for customers only
All others will be towed

Simple 'nuff.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

But.. it's not a Public parking lot.

It's a private Westview shopping center parking lot. They are simply exercising their freedom and right to do as they please on their private property.

Sure it may be tacky and they might lose sales but there is Nothing wrong with this that I can see. Let the Muslims protest if they choose to waste their time that way. Perhaps that's the only way some of them will really learn what freedom means.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hmm... Edward L Mecklen once said... "You'll never go broke underestimating the taste or intelligence of the American Public." Yes the signs were stupid. Best thing to do is ignore them. I have no animus towards Muslims, they are free to practice their faith, within the laws of our Republic. Now, when it comes implementation of Sharia Law, (with the possible exception of cutting out the tounge of lying politicians and cutting of their hands when they steal hard earned tax money) that is a non-standard. We need government based on civil, not religious precepts.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
Ah! The real reason. Well they could have worded it better to: "Customer Parking Only" or "Patrons of Shopping Center X Only" or even "No Event Parking".

It's the obvious answer, except that the word 'Muslim' is pretty specific to a caste or religion whatever. Now, I wonder what a Muslim car looks like?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
Really??? No.. I mean, seriously. Stop and think... REALLY?! You gotta read this one to believe it. If ever in my life I have seen a situation that screams for a lesson about "How NOT to put things", this does. In screaming block type about 20 feet high and glowing in bright neon.

In black letters, the signs reads, "No Muslim parking in the Westview Shopping Center. Your car will be towed."

The posters lined the street near the El Farouq Mosque, where Muslims heading to worship services said they were were offended.

Umm.. Okay, Houston, we have a problem. (This really happened in Houston too, so it fits!
)

I don't know quite how to explain this to some folks...but here goes. There are about 7 billion other folks on this big rock of ours. Of those, about 1.2-1.3 Billion are practicing Muslims. Now that's a WHOLE LOT of other folks to be saying can't park in that public parking lot.

The El Farouq Mosque sits across the street from the shopping center. Store employees did not want to go on camera for KPCR but did say they get angry when mosque members park in their lot, taking up spots meant for customers.

With the Muslim monthlong fast for the holy month of Ramadan ending and a crowd expected at the mosque, the signs anonymously appeared.
Source

Now lets stop and consider this little situation for a moment. The story indicates the Mosque sits across the street from this shopping center. Okay, I can picture this and it's entirely possible the Mosque was a little too conservative (read: cheap) in allotting for parking spaces in their lot planning. It happens and I can sure see why neighbors wouldn't much care for hosting the overflow. No one likes that.

Anyone who has ever been to a fair, sporting event or other gathering that people know in advance will overwhelm parking can probably attest to seeing signs on other lots saying 'stay out' for event parking.

I wonder though......could they...just maybe..have said Mosque parking and NOT included a good % of the humans on Earth in their little statement? The article also mentions no one will admit to posting them, although a center employee says the shopping center owner did the dirty deed. He says no, in the same breath apparently, as saying he will be towing anyone who shouldn't be there ..and he promises, taking down any more offensive signs.

Well golly, I'm sure glad to hear he'll be doing that. :shk: Word might get out and people could be offended or something.

Great post OP. I am a Muslim and I am NOT offended. In fact, I have seen some pretty tense situations over the years in which my fellow Muslims have been so rude as to block the drive ways of residents living adjacent to a particular inner city Mosque. During one Ramadan in 2010, we were exiting the mosque after Friday service. A woman in a t-shirt and shorts, standing twenty feet from the main door accosted us with angry words and obscenities because she couldn't get out of her drive way.

In the following days we saw ticket maids carousing the area of the mosque in this crowded, ethnic neighborhood, issuing parking violations to Muslims who had parked in prohibited areas as well as the parking lots of businesses and behind apartment buildings. Parking was always very limited and during Ramadan there was an elevated presence of Muslims, some who were inactive and others whose relatives had come form the four corners of the world.

This is not a problem where Muslims purchase land to build mosques. But this conflict can arise when leasing or purchasing a building in the densely populated areas in which space is limited.

As for the woman who expressed outrage (and she had the right) by our lack of respect, I will never forget how my heart sunk by this spectacle as we filed out of the mosque after a wonderful sermon and meditative prayer. On the following Friday prayer the meeting began with a request from the Imam, that all Muslims make the effort to respect the rights of others, especially during the month of Ramadan.

I have had some opportunity to critique my own people on several occasions. It hasn't won me new friends, but I live by the gospel of action and manifestation. In other words, whatever we do is an expression of how we think. Respect has much more value these days when we see the blatant examples of individuals and groups acting out terrible things upon one another.Sometimes parking signs are there for a reason. If I had been there it would have been a great opportunity to reach out and bring a positive resolution to the fear and lack of communication.

edit on 21-8-2013 by g2v12 because: grammar

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

But.. it's not a Public parking lot.

It's a private Westview shopping center parking lot. They are simply exercising their freedom and right to do as they please on their private property.

Sure it may be tacky and they might lose sales but there is Nothing wrong with this that I can see. Let the Muslims protest if they choose to waste their time that way. Perhaps that's the only way some of them will really learn what freedom means.

"What freedom really means" where is the related context?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

How ridiculous, weren't we originally meant to be tolarant and respectful of other peoples religious or non-religious beliefs? Now the ass-clowns who thought this one up, should never be allowed to represent a group of people.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by g2v12

Thank you for coming on the thread and adding your viewpoint. I know ATS has some great people who are also Muslim and I always hope threads like this will bring the perspective from that side of things. Too often, it doesn't and I largely understand the low profile approach I think many stick with. So, it makes it worth the note to say thanks!

I am curious to ask...How did your Mosque handle the situation in your case? I mean did they encourage everyone to be considerate about neighbors and park where it wouldn't cause issues or did they just ignore the whole thing and let whatever happens outside, stay outside? I couldn't help but wonder what the folks at the Mosque this thread is about were actually told one way or the other.
edit on 21-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

There may be a missed opportunity here -

With the Muslim monthlong fast for the holy month of Ramadan ending and a crowd expected at the mosque

Source

A businessman/woman would see potential customers - literally on their door-step.

Westview Shopping Center - We stock Halal foods

Westview Shopping Center - Come for the Muslim Service - Stay for the Prices !

No ... ?

Parking is for patrons only -Thank you !

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by roadgravel

You are totally misunderstanding my point
perhaps i am.
that could be a good reason for my comments.

it's good to hear that we basically agree but i still don't understand why you seem to hold to the opinion that public use of a private location is somehow protected by law

A restaurant is a private business open to the public. Correct? Our government has made law that is intended to counter discrimination. Correct? That is why a restaurant could be sued if it attempted to not serve persons of a certain race just because they are that race. It could refuse some individuals of that race for specific reason but not just because of race. Right?

This is the public - private clash, so to speak, we are wrapped up in. The US government has made law that affects private business as it interacts (does business) with the public. That's all I am trying to point out.
edit on 8/21/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

You know, I hadn't even thought about that...but you're right! If the blood between the shopping center and the Mosque wasn't already too sour before 'sign-gate', the guy could have been creative and done a little to make his Muslim neighbors feel downright welcome, not alienated and forbidden. He'd have made his profit at the same time, so everyone would have come out smelling good and smiling.

Why do some people have to go and be mean spirited when much better options are sitting right there. I hadn't thought of your idea..but he's a businessman. He should have. I like your style!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

reply to post by g2v12

...I am curious to ask...How did your Mosque handle the situation in your case? I mean did they encourage everyone to be considerate about neighbors and park where it wouldn't cause issues or did they just ignore the whole thing and let whatever happens outside, stay outside? I couldn't help but wonder what the folks at the Mosque this thread is about were actually told one way or the other.
edit on 21-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

So, as I mentioned in the post, the following Friday the Imam mentioned the incident and asked everyone to be mindful and considerate of others in the community, especially during Ramadan. It seemed to resolve the problem related to partially blocking residential driveways at least.

Most of the people involved were also from countries that are predominantly Islamic, where the culture supports religious activities in so many ways.

edit on 21-8-2013 by g2v12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by g2v12

(facepalm) So you did say that... I'm sorry. I feel like a buffoon. I read right over that and it didn't even register.

My apologies for not just missing it but being dense enough to ask something that proved the point. Sometimes I can really hit one out of the park..lol

Thanks again though and now for patience, as well.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
dont like it?

dont shop there.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

reply to post by g2v12

(facepalm) So you did say that... I'm sorry. I feel like a buffoon. I read right over that and it didn't even register.

My apologies for not just missing it but being dense enough to ask something that proved the point. Sometimes I can really hit one out of the park..lol

Thanks again though and now for patience, as well.

Thanks for your interest and support. Good will would resolve many of the conflicts in the world. Peace be with you and everyone on this thread.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I find it hilarious!

I think, the message is quite clear - In other words east-view is appropriate!
edit on 21-8-2013 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join