It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit police adopt ‘stop-and-frisk’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Looks like Detroit as adopting the law practices used by NYPD. Because of the failure of the american people to stand against unlawful searches. I cant help but feel that they are totally illegal. If your pulled over for no tail light you should not be getting searched.

They are looking for things to arrest people on. Guess there isn't enough lenience plate makers in our country's penal facilities already.

This isn't going to stop crime, its going to piss off every american citizen that gets hassled by the police.

The controversial “stop-and-frisk” tactic used by the New York Police Department could be coming to the Motor City: law enforcement agents in Detroit, Michigan plan to adopt a policing method from officers in the Big Apple.

The Detroit Police Department has signed a contract with consultants at the Manhattan Institute and Bratton Group, the paper reported, in order to develop a more stringent strategy for cutting down on criminal activity. “The DPD Traffic Unit (will) evolve its mission from principally the issuance of tickets toward the prevention of crime,” the contract reads.

“I think generally it’s believed by law enforcement people that without this tactic, the bad guys would feel a lot more comfortable in carrying guns,” Bloomberg said. “They carried guns before. They aren’t carrying guns now,”he added, “Common sense says that if you run a risk of getting stopped, you’re going to pay more attention to what’s in your pocket.”

I dont think this could be any further from the truth. What its going to do is cause the criminals with guns feel more backed into a corner than ever before. These people are going to sill commit crimes on a say to day basis.
The only major thing that is going to come about is more death. Criminals are going to get cornered and retaliate.

I like the quote from Bloomberg best.

“They carried guns before. They aren’t carrying guns now,”

Really Mr. Bloomberg? You think the criminals have had a change of heart? You think that just because you pester the hell out of 99% of your citizens that all the criminals will just give up being criminals for the greater good?

While we are at it, why dont we start searching everyone entering a school, shopping malls and theaters. ANY ONE of them could be a criminal caring a gun or any kind of deadly weapon.

Here is how they play it off, for the greater good.

Once a vibrant industrial town, Detroit has since fallen victim to a surge in poverty, crime and economic issues. Forbes listed it as the most dangerous city in America in 2012, and last month the city filed for federal bankruptcy protection. The rate of violent crime per capita in Detroit for 2012 clocked in at more than five times the national average, Forbes reported.

RT

This is ludicrous to say the least.

edit on 8/20/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I figured NEO would make an appearance. Maybe he is all out of rant for today.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
A judge in New York said it was unconstitutional for nypd to do this and made stop so Detroit didn't get the memo either huh?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Just because its unconstitutional dont mean that the cops aren't going to talk people into letting them be searched.

Our police here love to do this to people. They love to watch you give up your rights when you dont have to.

I have been detained frisked then released with no charges pressed and no real explanation of why i was detained.

IMO, they thought i would find something on me and failed.

I remember reading that in a thread somewhere, but i didn't remember till just now.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Wouldn't it be easier for the Mayor of Detroit to just declare Martial law for the city?

Or is that not within his authority?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I would think he has the authority to do such a thing. I am not certain on that fact though.

It would go a hell of a long way to curb crime that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Stop and Frisk, as it was initially intended in the SCOTUS ruling in "Terry vs Ohio", is a good thing..

What some departments have forgotten is that there are severe limits on the practice

All Stop and Frisk was ever meant to do was safe guard an officer making contact with someone he has Reasonable Suspicion to believe has committed a crime and "FRISK" for any possible weapons..

NOT SEARCH

So the original concept makes good sense

Yet like so many other good things it has been ruined by some overzealous individuals

I can tell you this. Stop and Frisk done correctly has probably saved my life on more than one occasion.

Semper

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Man I wasn't even aware of that. I thought the point was to just let police basically search anyone they felt like for whatever reason. I really should have looked in to it more. I wonder how many other people are completely clueless on the original intent. Probably A LOT.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I feel like it goes a little deeper than the original usage though.

There are too many ways that this can be manipulated.

Redacted.
edit on 8/20/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

The law makes no difference at all lol

If the cops want to frisk they are gonna frisk you law or no law.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
A judge in New York said it was unconstitutional for nypd to do this and made stop so Detroit didn't get the memo either huh?

You don't need a judge to label this "Unconstitutional". It's Unconstitutional on it's face. Period. Totally illegal. Those morons implementing these policies are criminals.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Stop and Frisk, as it was initially intended in the SCOTUS ruling in "Terry vs Ohio", is a good thing..

What some departments have forgotten is that there are severe limits on the practice

Some departments?

We've got some departments practicing ob-gyn and proctology on the roadside. You can't lay this off to "forgotten". It's incompetence at very best and such people should not be in law enforcement. Honestly tho, I suspect it's more often a case of codified criminality. Police commit crimes on a daily basis and they fully expect for the blue-line gang to cover their back.

top topics

join