It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brother's keeper eh ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have heard this line used quite a bit on here, and elsewhere in the real world to justify government fascism under the false pretense of 'liberalism' or what pass's for it these days.

I am my brothers keeper so I have been told, but that only seems when it is to justify the robin hood complex some Americans seem to have a slobbering love affair with most people call that the welfare state, the nanny state, what I call the Welfare Industrial complex(Yes this even Includes the Military Industrial Complex, too).

'We must strive' to take care of our 'brothers' they often shout most passionately because for some odd they think 'if your not with them, your against them'.

So if I am my brother's keeper would that mean a universal standard applied to all groups in this great land called America ?

If I am by my brother's keeper so what if my brother was a :

Banker?
Small Businessman ?
CEO ?
Lobbyist ?
Gun owner ?
'phony Christian'.?
Soldier ?
Wanted my little brother or sister come in to this world instead of being labeled a clump of cells(abortion) ?

Funny how my 'brother's keeper' just doesn't seem to apply anywhere else in the political spectrum or political controversies.

Only one topic of interest I ever hear this mentioned as if 'guilting' some people with a differing ideology into supporting something by no other reasoning than emotion, but I am just going to call it cognitive dissonance.

We American's lack consistency.
We really do.

Note the topic isn't about the specific issues per say the topic is about the lack of consistent views.

'Brother's Keeper' just some of the time not all the time.

edit on 20-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I can't help it Neo... I can't hear that term without thinking of this scene. Maybe it's that I first saw this at an impressionable age and it stuck in memory ..or maybe it carries more meaning to consider in such ideas..and how it's not always such a great idea.

I hope that isn't a violence issue..as nothing graphic is shown in what amounts to an old old movie for what is depicted. Not much by any modern standard. The message, especially for those who saw and know the movie, was very clear though. Don't mind me.. just dropping my two cents in the jelly jar as I pass by.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I'm confused. You list a bunch of people as if they aren't being looked after. If I'm misunderstanding, let me know.

Originally posted by neo96
So if I am my brother's keeper would that mean a universal standard applied to all groups in this great land called America ?

If I am by my brother's keeper so what if my brother was a :

Banker?

If he were a homeless banker, sure.

Small Businessman ?

Absolutely.

CEO ?

I haven't seen many CEO's with starving children.

Lobbyist ?

They are our brother's malefactors.

Gun owner ?

You mean to tell me that there isn't a prevailing correlation between gun owners and welfare?

'phony Christian'.?

Sure?

Soldier ?

Of course. They get an education and some cash.

Wanted my little brother or sister come in to this world instead of being labeled a clump of cells(abortion) ?

Good point.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I'm confused. You list a bunch of people as if they aren't being looked after. If I'm misunderstanding, let me know.

Yeah clearly misunderstood

Are people their brother's keeper or not ?

Do people have the right to determined who is worthy of that help ?

For some people they clearly say yes then they turn around and say clearly someone else is not.

Thank you for proving the op.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah clearly misunderstood

Are people their brother's keeper or not ?

Do people have the right to determined who is worthy of that help ?

For some people they clearly say yes then they turn around and say clearly someone else is not.

Thank you for proving the op.

Well, yeah, you're welcome. Honestly, I do think it's fairly easy to say that a homeless person needs help while a CEO does not. I feel zero guilt making that assessment.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Cuervo

nope that's neo's list of "worthy humans"
everyone else is trash in his incurably "Sane" opinion

still we should thank him for finally coming out of the closet

oh, and here's wrabbits video btw [needs to remove &feature]

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If I may add. . .

Many here might just put a price tag on "care" (throw dollars at a problem) but what about other types of "care"?

Rich or poor, white or black, business owner or worker, all need support from time to time.

To qualify (as many here will do) is disingenuous, the level of care and type of care based on a chosen profession may be somewhat bigoted.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The problem arises, in my humble opinion, when people want the Government to be "Our Brothers Keeper", as well as our own.

The idea of charity starting at home escapes those that wish only to sit on their butts and let Uncle Sam pay for their lives.

Well someone has to pay Uncle Sam and what happens when we get tired of paying for all of those that refuse to pay for themselves?

Funny thing is, a lot of people on here that want Uncle Sam to support them, are perfectly capable of spending hours each and every day typing on ATS but they can't get a job because they are disabled. Even more funny are the number of jobs out there entering information that are advertised each and everyday, most working from home.

Great Thread

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

See that is the problem people think throwing money at people is what it means to be their 'brothers keeper'.

It means so much more.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The question becomes whether or not "My brother's keeper" is mutually exclusive. I think you alluded to this Neo.

How can a concept like this exist when practically everyone has differing opinions on the matter, if not completely opposite to your own or even when that opinion doesn't exist at all.

Its manipulation in the guise of social responsibility.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

The problem arises, in my humble opinion, when people want the Government to be "Our Brothers Keeper", as well as our own.

See to me that is where their entire argument fails.

If I am my brothers keeper I am don't sit around waiting for government to get off his behind.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And you are a wonderful individual for that.. You are also as rare as hens teeth..

I salute and applaud you

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
reply to post by neo96

The question becomes whether or not "My brother's keeper" is mutually exclusive. I think you alluded to this Neo.

How can a concept like this exist when practically everyone has differing opinions on the matter, if not completely opposite to your own or even when that opinion doesn't exist at all.

Its manipulation in the guise of social responsibility.

It's called unconditional love that is primarily found in the family.

Family screws up you tell them.

Family tries to take advantage of you, you tell them,

That is what brother's keeper means to me, other opinions will vary.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Another good point to remember

Be one's brothers keeper is not always warm and fuzzy

Tough love is as important and as necessary as any other

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And that's the crux of it. People either can't or won't accept the hard realities if its of a sensitive or controversial topic.

It has become taboo.

I think this has become more of a contemporary issue.
edit on 20-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

yes. those that clamber to chant this as a mantra of guilt goading forget something very important.

why are they going after those that are being forced to pay when the more ethical approach would be to go after those who charge money for life-saving services?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
A slightly different take on where you and the rest are going with this, OP, and definitely more personal, but I think worthy, lyric-wise, for your OP: lyrics only here, but best listened to as a song, sentiment still the same, and perhaps what comes from what we are "trained to do," this interpretation of that sentiment being somewhat Ayn Rand based (Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead), as in we are inculcated to believe such as a way of holding us all back:

It's true that all the men you knew were dealers Who said they were through with dealing Every time you gave them shelter I know that kind of man It's hard to hold the hand of anyone Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender Who is reaching for the sky just to surrender. And then sweeping up the jokers that he left behind You find he did not leave you very much not even laughter Like any dealer he was watching for the card That is so high and wild He'll never need to deal another He was just some Joseph looking for a manger He was just some Joseph looking for a manger. And then leaning on your window sill He'll say one day you caused his will To weaken with your love and warmth and shelter And then taking from his wallet An old schedule of trains, he'll say I told you when I came I was a stranger I told you when I came I was a stranger. But now another stranger seems To want you to ignore his dreams As though they were the burden of some other O you've seen that man before His golden arm dispatching cards But now it's rusted from the elbows to the finger And he wants to trade the game he plays for shelter Yes he wants to trade the game he knows for shelter. Ah you hate to see another tired man Lay down his hand Like he was giving up the holy game of poker And while he talks his dreams to sleep You notice there's a highway That is curling up like smoke above his shoulder It is curling just like smoke above his shoulder. You tell him to come in sit down But something makes you turn around The door is open you can't close your shelter You try the handle of the road It opens do not be afraid It's you my love, you who are the stranger It's you my love, you who are the stranger. Well, I've been waiting, I was sure We'd meet between the trains we're waiting for I think it's time to board another Please understand, I never had a secret chart To get me to the heart of this Or any other matter When he talks like this You don't know what he's after When he speaks like this, You don't know what he's after. Let's meet tomorrow if you choose Upon the shore, beneath the bridge That they are building on some endless river Then he leaves the platform For the sleeping car that's warm You realize, he's only advertising one more shelter And it comes to you, he never was a stranger And you say ok the bridge or someplace later. And then sweeping up the jokers that he left behind ... And leaning on your window sill ... I told you when I came I was a stranger.

I couldn't find a viable yout.u.be link for the song: It's the Stranger Song, by Leonard Cohen, for anyone interested in listening to it. Just a different perspective: Cohen and Rand, of course, whose thematic premises for both her books were all about this concept, and what it wrought amongst us......supporting the weak, by sucking off the strong.....

Just a slightly different perspective, as I said,
As in this is where "keeping" anyone, brother, other human, or otherwise, can have you end up.....
edit on 20-8-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by neo96

Another good point to remember

Be one's brothers keeper is not always warm and fuzzy

Tough love is as important and as necessary as any other

Really isn't think they have an overly romantcized view of that brother's keeper is.

Every family has its up and downs, and when it's all said and done

All we got is each other, and government is like the loud mouth drunk uncle who comes over for the holidays, and tells the kids to sit on his lap.

Sure that uncle tells some whoppers of stories, but everyone knows he's full of crap.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

so the american militarises job is not to keep you safe?
they are not your keeper?
are they not payed out of the "public purse"?

they are not (all) your family.

you dont call on others for firemen and women if your house catches fire?
they are not your keeper?

the police who catch criminals?

just who are your brothers?
and who keeps you?

ps if you want to name me go ahead, i can tell the op is ment to draw me in

xploder

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'll have to find the article Neo.... but one came out a few days back discussing that something like 5-10% of food stamp recipients are active duty military. So, yes... Soldiers.

The list you've compiled strikes me as baiting. If you can find me a CEO or banker who is so far down on their luck that they no longer have any savings, offshore accounts, or obvious or hidden objects of great wealth? I'd not just support them receiving benefits... heck, I'll even offer to ride to DFACS with them and help them fill out the paperwork.

However if you approach me with a person who happens to have a net worth of a few hundred million and is just waiting for their golden parachute to deploy - and seeking to make a political statement about "fairness"? Nope.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join