It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More NSA Spying Fallout: Groklaw Shutting Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

www.techdirt.com

from the the-pain-of-being-watched dept
A few months ago, after the NSA spying stories first broke, we wrote about a bit from This American Life where the host, Ira Glass, was interviewing lawyers for prisoners detained at Guantanamo, about the impact of knowing that the government was listening in on every single phone call you made. The responses were chilling. The people talked about how it stopped them from being emotional with their children or
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

other close friends and relatives. How they had trouble functioning in ways that many people take for granted, just because the mental stress of knowing that you have absolutely no privacy is incredibly burdensome. PJ, the dynamo behind Groklaw, has written a powerful piece explaining the similar feeling she's getting from all the revelations about government surveillance, in particular the shutting down of Lavabit by Ladar Levison, and his suggestion that if people knew what he knew about email, they wouldn't use it.

Because of this, she's shutting down Groklaw.

Now this is creating a brutal effect in society - it is called the Chilling Effect:

In a legal context, a chilling effect is the inhibition or discouragement of the legitimate exercise of natural and legal rights by the threat of legal sanction.[1] The right that is most often described as being suppressed by a chilling effect is the US constitutional right to free speech. A chilling effect may be caused by legal actions such as the passing of a law, the decision of a court, or the threat of a lawsuit; any legal action that would cause people to hesitate to exercise a legitimate right (freedom of speech or otherwise) for fear of legal repercussions.

They want you, want me, want everyone to be afraid of speaking up against the tyranny that is coming. They want us to be afraid of thinking for ourselves, they want us to be obedient little drones.

Well, there is also the opposite effect, I really don't care if they are watching - if they are they know where I am. Come and get me.

www.techdirt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
and if you are wondering what Groklaw is:

Groklaw was an award-winning website covering legal news of interest to the free and open source software community. Started as a law blog on May 16, 2003 by paralegal Pamela Jones ("PJ") at Radio UserLand, it has covered issues such as the SCO-Linux lawsuits, the EU anti-trust case against Microsoft, and the standardization of Office Open XML.

Jones describes Groklaw as ..."a place where lawyers and geeks could explain things to each other and work together, so they'd understand each other's work better. When you have an idea you hope might work, and then to implement it, tweak it, and morph it, because other people show up and have ideas that are better than yours...and then have people you care about and admire tell you that what you are doing matters – I can't think of a more satisfying feeling."

en.wikipedia.org...

But a question to ATS, do you now hesitate before writing out an email or writing in a forum? Perhaps a google search?
edit on 20-8-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
But a question to ATS, do you now hesitate before writing out an email or writing in a forum?

Always have. Always will.
Right from the days when I used to use dialup BBS's, where I knew that they sysop could easily be watching and reading everything I do and type.

The internet, contrary to popular belief, has *never* been any different.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I guess I am digging myself a grave then, I assumed they were watching back then and now it is proven I still will say what I want. Heck, I will go out of my way now.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

But a question to ATS, do you now hesitate before writing out an email or writing in a forum? Perhaps a google search?

edit on 20-8-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

No, I don't hesitate, because fear and intimidation are all part of the plan. They would like us afraid, we are weaker that way and easier to control.

Living without fear is very empowering - and they do not want us empowered.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Damn,, bye Groklaw. I used to be on Groklaw all the time and they came about when I was getting deep into Linux. Carl McBribe (yes, spelled that way on purpose) and SCO. Total scumbags. Groklaw put it to them and IBM just absolutely raped then in court. Linux heads and Open Source geeks came out of the woodwork and F'd them up. But, I honestly think the evil was accomplished anyway. People were really starting to get onto Linux and Open Source at that time. The whole SCO thing wasn't to win the intellectualproperty rights. I was about derailing a movement. Or at least postponing it. In that it succeeded.

Time for some American Pie by Don McLean. Only fear and the desire to preserve your job, toys, prestige, and most importantly the ego, shall remain. No freedom folks. Nobody is willing to sacrifice anything to save their soul. Black is white, up is down, right is wrong, slavery is freedom. Let's all do the currently vogue thing and enjoy our revisionist and divisonist issues. After all, it's just screw and screw can till it all comes down and the people scream "why didn't somebody help us?". All the while, they were that somebody.

top topics

join