It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC’s Reid: Opposition to Gun Control is ‘Neo-Confederate’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000

If they want to be trolls and go assigning labels though? Well.. heck. I'll catch their lemon and make a tall glass of lemonade with it.

And good on you for that

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by KawRider9
The anti gun crowd is funny.

Originally posted by Helious
They can call us anything they want

Originally posted by TheWrightWing
How badly do leftists want

Apparently this blogger/MSNBC commentator is the spokesperson for a lot of movements?

I mean...suddenly she speaks for anyone in the country that would like to see further gun-regulation of any type and the "leftist" movement to boot?

Or are the broad-brushes and gross over-generalizations just here for rhetorical convenience?

Kind like she did with that remark?
edit on 20-8-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Your post makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. Nobody has been generalized or painted with a broad brush.

I was addressing the "They" that advocate restrictions or bans on our second Amendment rights, and rightfully so.

"leftists" refer to the group of people that currently champion this march against our second Amendment. Do you dispute this?

"The anti gun crowd" Wow, yeah, that's a pretty broad generalization he put forward there!

C'mon man, you can do better than that. No disrespect meant, just my usual passion for our Constitution pouring out naturally in disdain for what I consider to be a post that hasn't been thought out in a mild attempt to assert that we are somehow misplacing blame on certain people which I feel has not happened in any sense but feel free to prove me wrong.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Your post makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. Nobody has been generalized or painted with a broad brush.

I won't excerpt a long list of posts from the first page again...you impress me as bright enough and capable of objectivity to judge for yourself.

Read the first page and ask whether there is irony in the way posters responded to an ignorant, hyperbolic, gross generalization by this woman...by doing the exact same.

Some posters were upfront about that fact....and I assume slightly tongue-in-cheek..which I respect..

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart
Pro-government extremism is Stalinistic and Hitlarian. See, two can play that game.

Others seemed oblivious that they were guilty of the same hyperbole and generalizations this blogger/msnbc commentator was...

At the end of the day...I support an individual's rights to own guns and own guns myself. I do not support "anyones" right to own guns absent scrutiny...nor the right for anyone to own any type of gun. Otherwise I support regulating gun ownership in the USA...and I believe this is in keeping with the 2nd Amendment.

I also believe this woman is an idiot for making the comment.

AND...outside the hyperbolic, hyper-partisan, mega-phone crowd...In my strong opinion most rational Americans think in those terms and stats largely support that opinion.

I don't think hyperbole, name calling or false labels serves either side of the debate well.
edit on 21-8-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Indigo, how am I painting with a broad brush when I said the "Anti gun crowd"? It's is a rather large group and they say some very ignorant things that I find funny.

People from both sides of this debate say mighty ignorant things that I find funny.

What was your point of calling me out? I wasn't being mean with what I said, nor was I painting with a broad brush.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
How obvious can that newscaster's words be in it's manipulation of the people?

I can just imagine how it all went.

Newswriters and bosses sitting around one day brainstorming.

"How do we turn on our patriotic citizens that believe in the constitution and gun rights? The brass up top says to get to workin on that."
"We call them dead children lovers!"
"no, too dramatic"
"We insult their intelligence! Say that statistics say those that buy guns are ignorant or cowardly!"
"no we tried that, they are too smart for that line"
"How about we turn it into something unpatriotic?"
"Go on, you might be on to something."
"Like, something from our past that might have sparked dispatriotism."
"Maybe like the Confederates that wanted to leave the union?"
"You're onto something! New Confederates?"
"Or better yet, how about Neo-Confederates! Neo, like Neo -Nazi, and Confederates, well, like confederates!"
"Perfect!, We will be the first with this new terminology, Neo-Confederates, we will have coined this new term and made it part of the social media, by thanksgiving! God, you've got to love what we do here, so much power to manipulate!"
"Ok everyone repeat after me, Neo-Confederates!"

The whole room laughs.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

MSNBC’s Reid: Opposition to Gun Control is ‘Neo-Confederate’

The lines have been drawn now for a long, long time. This is just an attempt to cull as many undecideds as possible by painting the opposition in as ugly a way as possible.

The application of the word 'confederate' seems aimed at the African American community... knowing full well that successfully mauling the gun rights people into something that looks like the old South, guarantees a large bloc of support.

Just another example of how the politics of division is destroying this nation from within.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
Indigo, how am I painting with a broad brush when I said the "Anti gun crowd"? It's is a rather large group and they say some very ignorant things that I find funny.

People from both sides of this debate say mighty ignorant things that I find funny.

What was your point of calling me out? I wasn't being mean with what I said, nor was I painting with a broad brush.

Meh...OK...Apologies...I guess my point is that this woman doesn't represent any group but the Bobble-Head alliance. I get tired with one wacko on either side of a debate saying something stupid and then everyone siezing on it to represent the entirity of the debate.

I don't think all conservatives endorse Rush Limbaugh...or all gun owners endorse Wayne Lapierre...So when I see some woman I have never even heard of being held up by gun-rights-proponents as an example of anyone that doesn't think exactly what they think...meh..just tired of the BS I guess...but yes, apologies for calling you out, I over-reached to make my point.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

No worries buddy, have a star.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join