It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shots Fired, Active Shooter Reported At Georgia Elementary School

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Isn't it a full moon tonight?

I've noticed that every time we have a shooting it's either a new moon or a full moon. Has anyone else noticed that?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Isnt it a bit screwed up when your country has to consider armed teachers and armed guards in schools ?

Perhaps, but not as screwed up as the government preventing those charged with educating our children from providing adequate protection for them. It explains why there are more mass shootings at schools than police stations.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I'm glad that his intention seems to not have been in taking lives. But, what I don't understand is why this person would think this is the way to get attention? Who would want that kind of attention so badly, that they would do something as drastic as this? Sociopaths and psychopaths...what is wrong with people?

Hopefully the answers we have will be revealed when the story unfolds.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom

I've noticed that every time we have a shooting it's either a new moon or a full moon. Has anyone else noticed that?

Ask anyone whose ever worked emergency services of any kind, they see the craziest crap on full moons. Used to work a suicide hotline in College craziest calls always came in on full moons, no clue if there are actual statistics on it, There is always anecdotal accounts of such though.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I am a mom and a grandma and I would volunteer to guard the kids while
they are in school.I know that a lot of vets would also.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've noticed a trend with events in this world that causes public opinion to flip and flop like a dying fish on the side walk. Look at the "Stand Your Ground" laws as an example.. they were formed for a reason, public outcry demanded it because of bad things happening.. Now that they are established in dozens of states, a bad thing happens and everyone is up in arms to abolish the law ..

So what's the solution? I don't have one.. I don't think anyone really does .. so knee jerk responses are a bad idea.. I see people suggesting arming the teachers.. what if a teacher snaps? the argument will flip to outcry of "dis-arm the teachers"!

I do think it's a valid point that gun free zones are sitting ducks... and I don't see harm in having an armed guard or two in our schools.. We have them in our banks, our children are more valuable..There's some pretty powerful non-lethal ammunition out there that could take someone down without killing them and risking a bullet ricocheting into a class room

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I've noted that. I had pulled a random sample of school shooters, primarily from the 90's, to look for specific things about a year ago. Someone asked the question of shooters in relationship to the moon and I tracked it in the random sample that I already have. Graphically, the results looked like this: i.imgur.com...

The "megalomaniacs" in my random sample tended to fall in the full moon phase while the quiet voice hearing types tended to do theirs during the new moon. Thought that was interesting.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20/8/13 by WhiteAlice because: added thread link

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Hey stargazers, get ready for a blue moon tonight — though it’s likely not the kind you’re thinking of.

First: No, the moon will not actually be blue. Second: This is not the second full moon in the month of August, the definition most people probably think of.

Instead, when Tuesday’s full moon rises to its peak at 9:45 p.m. eastern time, it’ll be a “seasonal blue moon” — the third of four full moons in a season. A seasonal blue moon hasn’t happened in nearly three years, EarthSky reports.

Apparenty, there is some rare celestial event happening tonight that hasn't happened in three years.

Maybe it has something to do with the events that have happened today?

Link to source

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

The problem isnt the guard but the fact you NEED them in the first place.

The rest of the western world even states with lax gun control like switzerland can get by without a school shot out every 3-6 months so why cant the USA? There is obvsiously a fundemental social issue that needs to be a adressed somewere.
edit on 20-8-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Somebody must have taken the "gun free zone" sign down.

Good thing the cops are only 10 minutes away.

Somebody must have read "gun free zone" and thought to themselves, "a school full of vulnerable and defenseless little children, time to have some fun."

Cops don't prevent crimes, they can only respond to them after the fact
, when its too late to do anything about, and it matters the most.
edit on 20-8-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Is it another drill? ..... I had to ask because it seems they don't tell people sometimes.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The rest of the western world even states with lax gun control like switzerland can get by without a school shot out every 3-6 months so why cant the USA? There is obvsiously a fundemental social issue that needs to be a adressed somewere.

3-6 months? Lol try 3-6 weeks

There are lot of cases where things like this don't make national headlines.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Honestly that's an issue that will never get addressed, everyone is far to reactionary to even begin to look at root causes.

The deadliest school attack in US history was done with explosives, so the weapon of choice is not even the root cause.

I truly think the culture in america is the cause, Its not the gun culture either, I honestly feel its a combination of causes that get overlooked.

-poor mental health care/ stigma of mental health in general.
-Consumer culture (see something on tv, do something in real life)
-Violence in general is not seen as negative as it should.

Is it any surprise that a country that has been at war for 216 years of its existence, one that views showing T&A as an X-rated in movie form but go ahead and butcher a person and thats pg-13 at most. That violence would be an issue?
edit on 20-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by matafuchs
I read that gunfire could be heard over the phone lines.

www.wsbtv.com...

The shooter told the woman at the front desk to call both. Hope that no one is actually dead in this incident. They will not stop. It will not end. Schools need better security, not just guns.Armed guards are ideal but if a school will not do that then put in a gate. One way in and one way out. Heavily locked doors. These incidents almost always happen during the day after school starts and someone 'gets in'. There should be layers of security, failsafes, to make sure a shooter CANNOT get passed the front desk or main entrance. Nothing is perfect but something is better than nothing.

Well Sandy Hook supposedly had a bullet proof wireglass door that that skinny little dude just broke down and marched right in. If you believe that, you've never tried to get through one. You can shoot all day at them and still barely get through. It ain't like the movies you know. In the movies, when we prep doors to be kicked in, they are barely attached at all. In fact, when we think they are prepped enough, the actors sometimes STILL can't get through...well, they are actors. haha.

Uh Oh...I guess the ATS goon platoon will be deleting this post too. I spoke the words that "shall not be spoken"!!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quyll
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I'm glad that his intention seems to not have been in taking lives. But, what I don't understand is why this person would think this is the way to get attention? Who would want that kind of attention so badly, that they would do something as drastic as this? Sociopaths and psychopaths...what is wrong with people?

Hopefully the answers we have will be revealed when the story unfolds.

From the sample that I took of 14 shooters in the 90's, 6 purportedly heard voices. Only a few were formally diagnosed as being schizophrenic (notably, Holmes from the Aurora shooting was seeing a psychiatrist specializing in schizophrenia and another shooter, John Shick, was a diagnosed schizophrenic--not part of that 14). One was diagnosed as being bipolar with messianic delusions. None of the sample shooters (not including Holmes or Shick) used insanity as a defense. None were diagnosed with sociopathy/psychopathy that I'm aware of but most went totally undiagnosed in the haste to jail them. Other commonality was quite a few kept journals, some obsessively made lists, and you had one that was so terrified of the world that he used his arms and nearby furniture to keep his feet from touching the ground for fear of demons getting him at home. Another one believed that the government programmed people using time tablets, that nothing was real and he and everyone else had died years ago so he committed no crime when he shot one of his teachers to death.

When it comes to the criminally insane, there is no easy explanation. I guess that's the simplest answer to your question. Pure insanity.

edit on 20/8/13 by WhiteAlice because: clarified holmes and shick comment

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I agree,I graduated from high school 40 years ago and never dreamed that
something like this could happen.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

I just can't believe there is another school shooting.I wish people would leave the
kids alone and make their 'statements' elsewhere.

But it's just so easy. You've got children penned up in little rooms and nobody around that can offer any real resistance.

Like a chained goat waiting for a lion.

The lion would have a perfectly good reason for killing said goat. He would not kill it, then walk away just to kill another goat, and so on etc....

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hope it is nothing bad

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

You make a good point
what is it they say about a full moon
also the world `lunatic` comes from luna

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
The lion would have a perfectly good reason for killing said goat. He would not kill it, then walk away just to kill another goat, and so on etc....

Lions have been documented killing for reasons other than defense or food. They're also known to commit infanticide.

Though, for reasons other than food, a chained goat probably wouldnt be too attractive since there is no "fun" to be had.

Regardless the point was about helplessness. Not some imaginary ideal of the animal kingdom.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join