It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howdy from the 50s, and can anyone relate to my `problem`?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hi, no im not from the 1950s literally, in fact im around about 20 (approx it doesnt matter exactly maybe a year younger or a year older, but the point is i wasnt born in the 50s).

I love the 50s, everything from the cool quiff hair styles, (not the lame ones that are in fashion today that look nothing like the 50s ones), to the beautiful women who werent caked in makeup and didnt need to be 3 quaters naked just to get peoples attention.

I am a massive fans of early colour westerns from the 50s with audy murphy, jeff chandler, james stewart etc, and love the movies in fact from the 50s and 60s where the originals of many of the movies made today were so much better.
The fact as well that it wasnt exactly third world back then, and you wouldnt need leeches to suck out an infection or tooth pulled out by hand, or a 1 in 10 chance of dying from the black plague (those kinds of things people dont think about when they say oh i would love to live in the 1800s), would make it the perfect time span for me to have been in, not this me me me world..
So yes, in a nutshell thats my obsession with the 50s, and my introduction over.

However, i dont want to ramble on about me anymore, i want to ask you a question. I do not know why but this started when i was a kid, and a boy in my class got his drink stolen from him by another, and whilst people laughed, i felt legitimatly bad for him, i almost cried.
And, if i see somebody fall, i always feel terrible for them, even embarresed for them, whilst other people will laugh.
I feel really sorry for old frail people who cant walk much, and just in general, i am always feeling bad for people. Like the other day i dared somebody to cut a bit of her hair, and she did and it looked stupid, and while she said `no bother ill wear a hat for the next few weeks till it grows back`, i felt terrible for the rest of the night.

And its not just a `meh` feeling bad, its like a compulsive depression feeling bad.

But its not depression i dont suffer from depression, nor am i in paticular a jesus or a saint, i dont give charity to every person begging, and i tend to enjoy watching u.s army apaches blowing the hell out of a group of taliban.
So i am not some `sissy` who will have a nervous breakdown if i step on an ant. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it would be interesting to find anybody else who a/ likes 50s movies, and b/ has similar feelings to me, because i feel im the only person in the world who has this kind of feeling so sad for somebody it makes me mentally sick, when somebody innocent has something bad happen to them.
edit on 20-8-2013 by 50swesterns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 50swesterns

Hi 50swesterns, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

ATS Guidelines, Etiquette, and more

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Signature Guidelines

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from and add your thoughts and opinions too as well.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

Hi 50swesterns, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now.

Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads in the appropriate forums and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

ATS Guidelines, Etiquette, and more

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Signature Guidelines

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Try our Ask ATS with the search words of your choice.
I'm sure you will find many threads to pick from and add your thoughts and opinions too as well.

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

That was a quick reply thank you for the useful info i will be sure to check it out

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

just a little tip for you, when replying to a post in general just use the Reply To tab, like I did here.
If there are parts of what a member has posted that you wish to address then the Quote Tab is used.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I am old enough to remember the 1950's, and that decade is like a distant and lovely country I would like to visit again...

You seem to have an overload of empathy. Do not feel bad about that, as you are light years ahead of many in this day and age, who seem not to have any empathy at all. They are like dead people...

You chose a great avatar, BTW.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Sounds like empathy.
I have some of the same issues.
I can't even watch most reality TV, because if someone is embarrassed, or picked on, I feel it for them, pretty strongly.

It is a good thing though. To many people today don't have any kind of empathy, or even compassion for that matter.

Welcome as well!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Agreed!

Welcome to ATS Op!

Here are few links which may help you to better understand this phenomenon:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by chiefsmom

Agreed!

Welcome to ATS Op!

Here are few links which may help you to better understand this phenomenon:

Wow thanks for those links very interesting

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What a great introduction. I bet you don't understand mean people either do you? I think it's called understanding that you are either acting or witnessing an act of love or an act of fear which many call lots of other things like hate, anger, jealousy etc..

I know you don't claim to be a saint or anything but I am curious as to what your upbringing was and if you still follow a spiritual path.

Empathy has already been mentioned, but I think it's more about not being willing to follow the world, the harshness and selfishness so many think is the only way to get ahead. You sound like a really great person, and that time in the 50's seems to be an innocent time where people were just nicer and had manners.

I welcome you and hope you enjoy your time here.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
What a great introduction. I bet you don't understand mean people either do you? I think it's called understanding that you are either acting or witnessing an act of love or an act of fear which many call lots of other things like hate, anger, jealousy etc..

I know you don't claim to be a saint or anything but I am curious as to what your upbringing was and if you still follow a spiritual path.

Empathy has already been mentioned, but I think it's more about not being willing to follow the world, the harshness and selfishness so many think is the only way to get ahead. You sound like a really great person, and that time in the 50's seems to be an innocent time where people were just nicer and had manners.

I welcome you and hope you enjoy your time here.

Well if i can say this, i dont drink/smoke or go out in the `hey lets go out and get drunk and party all night and sleep around with 1 million girls` culture that most people my age do.

Im not anti social but i just dont fit in very well with todays` society and demands

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Hey that was the best intro av read on here

heres a link to a thread am sure you`ll find interesting if you`ve not already seen it,

It affected me the whole day lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenian8

Hey that was the best intro av read on here

heres a link to a thread am sure you`ll find interesting if you`ve not already seen it,

It affected me the whole day lol.

You being serious?
why was it the best,
im honoured

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
You being serious?
why was it the best,
im honoured.

Normal intoduction:- Hi guys been lurking on here for some time/years now am really interested about NSA, Government conspiracy, alien abductions (insert interest here) what do you guys think???????

Moderator:- Hi pleased to meet you, heres the rules enjoy the site.

Your introduction:-

Hi, no im not from the 1950s literally, in fact im around about 20 (approx it doesnt matter exactly maybe a year younger or a year older, but the point is i wasnt born in the 50s).

I love the 50s, everything from the cool quiff hair styles, (not the lame ones that are in fashion today that look nothing like the 50s ones), to the beautiful women who werent caked in makeup and didnt need to be 3 quaters naked just to get peoples attention.

I am a massive fans of early colour westerns from the 50s with audy murphy, jeff chandler, james stewart etc, and love the movies in fact from the 50s and 60s where the originals of many of the movies made today were so much better.
The fact as well that it wasnt exactly third world back then, and you wouldnt need leeches to suck out an infection or tooth pulled out by hand, or a 1 in 10 chance of dying from the black plague (those kinds of things people dont think about when they say oh i would love to live in the 1800s), would make it the perfect time span for me to have been in, not this me me me world..
So yes, in a nutshell thats my obsession with the 50s, and my introduction over.

However, i dont want to ramble on about me anymore, i want to ask you a question. I do not know why but this started when i was a kid, and a boy in my class got his drink stolen from him by another, and whilst people laughed, i felt legitimatly bad for him, i almost cried.
And, if i see somebody fall, i always feel terrible for them, even embarresed for them, whilst other people will laugh.
I feel really sorry for old frail people who cant walk much, and just in general, i am always feeling bad for people. Like the other day i dared somebody to cut a bit of her hair, and she did and it looked stupid, and while she said `no bother ill wear a hat for the next few weeks till it grows back`, i felt terrible for the rest of the night.

And its not just a `meh` feeling bad, its like a compulsive depression feeling bad.

But its not depression i dont suffer from depression, nor am i in paticular a jesus or a saint, i dont give charity to every person begging, and i tend to enjoy watching u.s army apaches blowing the hell out of a group of taliban.
So i am not some `sissy` who will have a nervous breakdown if i step on an ant. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it would be interesting to find anybody else who a/ likes 50s movies, and b/ has similar feelings to me, because i feel im the only person in the world who has this kind of feeling so sad for somebody it makes me mentally sick, when somebody innocent has something bad happen to them.

Thats some introduction and seemed very truthful and i could identify with a lot of what you wrote.

You could say i empathise with you

If a could ad s&f.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
hey there 50swesterns

i sorta liked the cowboy shows & movies too... but those singing cowboys films made me gag,,,
well, i was a 2 YO refugee from a orphanage in Germany... so

i was always in disbelief... at the comradree of a bunch of do-no-wrong cowboys singing like a glee club
And later in public school where i first encounter the bullies and others that made life uncomfortable for classmates

that was some 4 years later in 1st grade when i seen my cousin Mike get roughed up by 2 punks at recess...
at break i went out and stuck up for him with these 2 older kids in a Catholic School no less

when you used the 'Howdy' introduction.... i thought of the howdy doody show with the clown and all...

yes those were different times, and not just because of my age ...
if your from 20 that means you were 30 in the 1950s... i was 2-12

welcome

edit on 21-8-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is the kind of stuff that breaks my heart:
www.grindtv.com...

What humanity is doing to the planet, what humanity is doing to our beloved Mother Ocean. I am truly concerned about the loss of our oceans and this is the type of article that makes me think humanity is doomed.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
This is the kind of stuff that breaks my heart:
www.grindtv.com...

What humanity is doing to the planet, what humanity is doing to our beloved Mother Ocean. I am truly concerned about the loss of our oceans and this is the type of article that makes me think humanity is doomed.

I get grossed out VERY easily though

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I've always been quite similar.

EMPATHY IS A PRICELESS THING.

How we handle it makes all the difference.

Even younger than 10 I could be virtually hysterical over a hanging in a TV western.

And in Jr High I actually asked God to help me feel what it was like to be in the skin of drunks and hobos on the street. He did.

It has been somewhat debilitating in terms of immobilizing me for a few minutes to feel others' pain.

However, as a shrink, it was a priceless thing in helping others.

It's a daunting thing to contemplate the horrific stuff coming down the Pike on the not distant horizon vis a vis the BIBLICAL END TIMES prophecies and the NWO globalists' part in all that.

Somehow, God has promised to not put on HIS KIDS more than they can bear.

And, I know such pressures and traumas are for building character to better rule and reign with HIM in eternity.

Stilllll . . . this side of eternity, I persistently think I'd rather give up lots of ruling and reigning rank in order to experience less feelings of helpless trauma about others' pains.

I don't know if my narrative helps . . . but that's a brief description of my version of what I think you were describing.

Blessings,

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

What I mean is that I feel so sorry for the creatures that are washing ashore around the world and think that there is a conspiracy attached to the phenomena.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
hey there 50swesterns

yes those were different times, and not just because of my age ...
if your from 20 that means you were 30 in the 1950s... i was 2-12

welcome

edit on 21-8-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

No 20 of age approx, not from the 1920s

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Welcome. It sounds like you could be an empath. I don't know even how much I believe in the literal meaning of that but I have the same thing you do. I hurt for, feel embarrassed for, and have tons of empathy for others - especially those who are ganged up on or crumble under pressure. Not always but often enough that its draining so since your young learn to build some good boundaries and continue to be aware of it so you can protect your own energy. Some people call it "too much empathy" but I think its a good trait and simply means you connect easily. It's just about channeling it so it doesn't backfire on others or you.

I like the time period of 50's - 70's. it was more simple and straight forward (in general). People took time for one another - more than they do now. Relationships and social responsibility were more prevalent. It wasn't the disposable world we see today. Relationship doesn't work, throw away and move on; job or school not satisfying, just quit. People have changed. Society has changed. Ask an older person and they will tell you how disconnected people are compared to when they grew up. There aren't the same manners, integrity, sense of caring and responsibility.

When I was a kid we played outside - a lot. We passed lazy summer days by finding adventures. Now we hand adventures to kids and they don't even have to leave home most of the time to find them. It's less safe in the world, the economy sucks so stay at home moms is largely a thing of the past, and stress is far greater than it used to be. It's also a more transient world. Moving rather than staying within the community from birth to death is easy thereby utilized.

Maybe you long for a world where people have connections. Where people take time for romance and tradition rather than succumbing to anything that provides instant gradification. Where people actually take the time to help a neighbor or stranger - in a way that includes relationship and not just a referral to the locally government funded whatever.

It would be nice to return to that world for me as well. It had its problems but today's world has many more. Being a lady or gentleman is not out of style though. It's just less common. Hopefully more like you will embrace that quality and at minimum remind others how desirable it can look. Stay true to yourself and again, welcome.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join