It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Clarify "Excessive Quoting"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Seekerof gave me a warning for "excessive quoting" - but my post does NOT quote any source at ALL. However, it does have a lengthy bibliography and reference list at the end, and each item has a quote.

As I understand the "excessive quoting" rule, it is designed to prevent plagiarism and copyright infringement - and refers to copying text from a single source. ...My references pulled quotes from about 50-odd different sources.

The post is admittedly WAYY long - and probably alienated more readers than it hooked - but it didn't break the 'excessive quoting' rule as I understand it.

...Do I misunderstand the the rule and its intent?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

?

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
The post is admittedly WAYY long - and probably alienated more readers than it hooked - but it didn't break the 'excessive quoting' rule as I understand it.

It broke something. I wanted to give you a warn and a heads up too, but honestly my brain froze trying to figure out which warn and what to say.

Basically "stop it." I don't know what it is, but stop it.

If you added appropriate quote citations (like this) to indicate your work versus others...

It would help decipher the flow, but as it stands there's more than 500 words in the post and clearly most aren't yours. That's excessive quotation. But whether that's the best possible warn for the situation or not, it's still approaching "personal publishing" limits just given the length.

Multi-sourcing makes for good posts though, so please don't get the wrong idea, but some kind of heads-up was duly warranted in this case. It's just a token point deduction. The main idea is the U2U heads up.

Maybe work on the formatting, and making your own points with less posted excerpts. It's not that big a deal (warn-wise), but your work seems important and deserves a read. It's really difficult in the current format. That's the main thing.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Seekerof gave me a warning for "excessive quoting" - but my post does NOT quote any source at ALL.

That was all you? Now I'm more scared than confused.

Man, I don't know what to tell you. Your biggest concern right now should probably not be the excessive quote warn.

The filth flies are coming.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

As I understand the "excessive quoting" rule, it is designed to prevent plagiarism and copyright infringement - and refers to copying text from a single source. ...My references pulled quotes from about 50-odd different sources.

Not to mention bandwidth, hehe...

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

my post does NOT quote any source at ALL

okay, I'll give you that but wait....

My references pulled quotes from about 50-odd different sources

now, perhaps I don't really have the right to be saying this as I didn't read your post but, isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? I do not intend to be insulting your character by saying this, but that really doesn't make too much sense.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Seekerof gave me a warning for "excessive quoting" - but my post does NOT quote any source at ALL.

That was all you? Now I'm more scared than confused.

Man, I don't know what to tell you. Your biggest concern right now should probably not be the excessive quote warn.

The filth flies are coming.

...The post itself was mine - the "history" by reference is not, except as editor/compiler. ... But DARN - it is important.

...Anyway. Back to the drawing board. The piece doesn't work and out of respect for your bandwidth too...

So what do I do now? Advice? ...I can see how to reorganize and rewrite the post (Ie., maybe do 2 instead) - but the history is still important for substantiation. Is there some way to file the references or do I need to chop?

and FYI - it's just a piece of a MUCH larger project under construction - any advisor/mentors available here?

...if it's a priority for me to remove text immediately - please advise.

Thnx - Sofi

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

now, perhaps I don't really have the right to be saying this as I didn't read your post but, isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? I do not intend to be insulting your character by saying this, but that really doesn't make too much sense.

...Think "paper" with "bibliography" or "references." ...I'm thinking the first part is my 'paper' and calling it my "post" - the second part is bibliography and I'm thinking 'attachment.'

...Obviously, it's all my post. Mea culpa. Brain burp.

Still not sure what to do next.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

...Think "paper" with "bibliography" or "references." ...I'm thinking the first part is my 'paper' and calling it my "post" - the second part is bibliography and I'm thinking 'attachment.'

Ah, OK I can see what you mean now

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

Still not sure what to do next.

THIS is excessive quoting ALSO...

top topics

join