It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation clarification; what it is, and an introduction to Hua Tou.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

yes this is why I liked the effectiveness of your OP, it was direct, simple and outlined a very powerful form of meditation without getting too lost in the language or fine details

meditation is very natural, and all these terms are nothing but language labeling the different observed phenomena in its different forms, you are correct

but its good to have an index, especially if one does not have a teacher, to be able to look at and reference the vast amount of material against your own findings in meditation, to more quickly understand and master the practice

it seems like there is a lot of good information about meditation out there as there is dead end information... the good thing though is that at least more and more people are trying it... but as with most things american, the depth of exploration doesnt often follow, and frustration ensues, especially when dealing with something that can be as intangible and abstract as meditation... so it is good to have distinct guidelines

hopefully with time the practice in america will continue to mature, so meditations more distinct qualities can flourish into a very rewarding and well known practice, not just by aspirants

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Possibly true, cause I doubt the yogi's in India were not concerned about staying warm, since I heard that India is hot as hell. Not only that, I find Buddhists(shaolins) being more physically disciplined since they like to implement such practice in their training, like walking on their hands outside in the cold without much clothing. Or even raising their pain threshold, like the few that self immolate themselves, and won't even flinch.

Yogi's, seems to be more like healers, and have more stuff written up about it.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by preludefanguy

That my original problem with meditation, I had no real structure at all, I just kept trying and trying. I just knew mediation was about relaxing the mind, body, and spirit, and would just take practice and time.
Then I learned about chakras sometime later, and that went well for a while, then it went really wrong for a longer while, then I started understanding it better.

I managed to get much better at it for a while, till I had reached, what I would call a "Plateau" in my meditation. For a few days, I had never known such a peaceful, and powerful feeling. I forgot about all the troubles in the world for that time.

However, I think it would be a while before I reach that state ever again.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

let go of that remembered state; it was a moment that arose and passed. Trying to recreate that state is attachment to something long gone, this actually blocks the potential for an equivelent to arise. This is what suffering and desire is all out about really... not accepting the nature of impermanence and trying create a future to experience and chase one down from the past, instead of letting go and experiencing what arises as it is.

The first experience I had of bliss, I held onto it and like some kind of addict tried to recreate it, after finally understanding I needed to let it go, did another bliss state arise of it's own accord. It makes it blatantly obvious that grasping, chasing and craving denying the impermance of things, is not the correct way to go about living in balance.

I hope this helps the block in your meditation experiences.

posted on Oct, 2 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by preludefanguy

The problem is, we bring the mind with where we place consciousness in meditation, then get distracted by it's ramblings after we set it there. Whatever it is going on about is of no importance at all, it just clouds conscious awareness of being... bored from sitting in one spot it'll make up games, delusions anything at all to get the consciousness to chase it. Then we run around telling others about all the games and nonsense it was blathering on about when it was supposed to be calmly sitting in awareness... that is thinking about meditation not actually meditation. As soon as the mind moves off base where you consciously place it, bring it back.
edit on 2-10-2013 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I understand that completely, that mind state only lasted for a few days, and I could of attempted to go back into the state again, months later. However, I never did end going back to it. I was more interested in what caused such a mind state though. Was it just the inspiration I had in my head at the time, or was it my first time using a binural beat(which may have helped, or have been the cause), I was to the point where my job did even phase me anymore for that period. I didn't hold onto it though, even though it was a cherished experience for me.

I knew I could of done it again without the binurals sometime later, but I chose not too. I don't know if it was fear holding me back. Plus i had a very bad experience with my spirituality many months before hand.

So in a way, I learned not become to attached to my spirit or inspirations if you will due to that foolish error in my meditations. Third Eye meditations were a complete upset, and made me to attached.

I think my previous dumb-assrie had prepared me in its own weird way. I guess the way has way to many paths for every journey to sound the same. It not so much getting to the destination, but the story of journey.

I think inspiration/or aspirations is an important part of meditation, it just it could only go so far really, to where it just becomes an attachment. As to not let our passions burn out of control, and to become gentle like a stream, instead of rushing waters. I will only understand so much.
edit on 3-10-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Specimen

Over thinking paths can be a hindrance, all the things you experienced were indeed deepening levels of experience, of these various things... But, over thinking and or philosophizing paths leads to just more confusing distinctions covering up the simplicity that is just being. Meditation instructions never say go pick up a book, or go learn about all the cakra etc. then sit down and think about what you just read. All of them more or less is just to simply sit and gently pull the mind back to some focus, that's all that's needed, no need to let the mind or anyone else over complicate, what is extremely simple. Pick whatever base object of meditation, be it the breath a color or whatever it is that pulls you in the strongest, and stick to it... don't hop all over path shopping, it's just being distracted by appearances and choices leading to no choice at all, all paths are simply different words that all essentially say the same thing.

How is a path ever to become clear, if you can't decide among the 1000's of roads to get there? It's like walking 10 miles down one, then walking back to start, then walking a mile down another then back, etc etc. The sooner you choose one path and stick to it... the sooner the journey comes to an end, if you hit a wall? Get answers from those on that same path, they will be the ones that really know how to help, though remembering the words impermanence and deeply knowing it as clearly as knowing your own hand, will typically clear all blocks. Once the journey is over, all paths become clear... spending time trying to understand and walk all paths in the beginning, will just keep a person stuck on the path of philosophy constantly going around in circles, it's a huge waste of time unless you want a philosophy degree... they all become crystal clear at the end of the one you choose and stick to with relentless determination, so get walking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join