It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISON Object (Comet?) To Fly By (Impact?) Mars next Fall! NASA News.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by johnrobca

and anyway isnt this thread about a fly by/impact with mars? ....

I responded to his claims about the triangle looking ISON....

I'm sorry but the explanation was posted on vitually every single page of that thread from page 4 on. If people are serious about "denying ignorance" and "searching for truth" they should've figured it out by now.

If they haven't then I can only conclude they are running around like headless chickens.

It would also help if peoples' default reaction to stuff like this would not be "spaceship".
edit on 20-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Originally posted by Arken
reply to post by eriktheawful

Hi Erik.

Maybe I misunderstood.

So, why NASA call that Comet ISON? It is not the same "Object/Comet"?

Watch the video again. They call the comet they are talking about ISON, that is C/2012 S1, and they say it will get within 0.7 AU of Mars. 1 AU is about 93,000,000 miles. 0.7 of that is just over 6,500,000 miles.

Your other picture in your OP is showing comet Siding Spring (not ISON), C/2013 A1.

That one IS a impact possibility still (all though chances are still going down for that), it will pass very, very close to Mars.

The video however is only talking about ISON, and no where in there do they say it might impact with Mars.

It was a honest mistake. There are so many comets it can be hard to keep track of which one is which.
edit on 20-8-2013 by eriktheawful because: misspelled "Siding"

What he said. Also, this:

And to back up a bit, this explains some earlier images of ISON:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

Yeah ... I see ... He does flip from the one subject to the other in the OP ... I just focused on the fly by stuff ... I do have a soft spot for Arken cos his favourite subjects are mine too .... but whilst this thread may have had you seeing headless chickens Ive just been reading a thread on why prince george is the new messiah based on religous scriptures!??!?!! ... I can barely believe I wasted that precious time reading that rubbish .... so its all relative I guess

as for the spaceship perspective .... well i think its fair enough / fun to believe in the fantastic rather than the mundane ... until proven otherwise ... afterall this is a conspiracy site

edit on 20-8-2013 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Well, the headless chicken remark does not just apply to one single thread.

as for the spaceship perspective .... well i think its fair enough / fun to believe in the fantastic rather than the mundane ... until proven otherwise ... afterall this is a conspiracy site

I am all for fun but it was actually proven in the first pages of the thread.
edit on 20-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

Well, the headless chicken remark does not just apply to one single thread.

yup there are some proper mental cases on this site who state the complete insane as facts ... its awesome fun
... im the mad one with my conspiracy theories with my mates in RL but here Im pretty much sane LOL
edit on 20-8-2013 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Yes I notice that. I post that image only for show the path.

Thx for explanation, however, erik

But, now: I understood well
? Are There two different Comets could Fly By Mars, in one year distance?

Yep! Two comets, C/2012 S1, also known as ISON, and the 2nd comet C/2013 A1 also known as Siding Spring.

The designation numbers tell us what it is and when discovered. "C" for comet, the next number is the year it was discovered, and the letter number tells us the month.

There are a LOT of comets, and different kinds of comets. Worse: we tend to name comets after the person or observatory that found it. Siding Spring is a observatory, and more than one comet has the name "Siding Spring". That's why the designation numbers is important.

Here is a list of Non-Periodic Comets

Here is a list of Periodic Comets

This is HUGE!
TWO COMETS COULD FLY BY MARS in 12 MONTHS!

This kind of EVENTS could cause GRAVITATIONAL EFFECTS on MARS.... And its moons, PHOBOS AND DEIMOS

edit on 20-8-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Maybe 1 will land on Aries Arken
Thanks for the Update..

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

This kind of events could cause gravitational effects on MARS....

Is this based on anyhing or just shooting the breeze?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Yes I notice that. I post that image only for show the path.

Thx for explanation, however, erik

But, now: I understood well
? Are There two different Comets could Fly By Mars, in one year distance?

Yep! Two comets, C/2012 S1, also known as ISON, and the 2nd comet C/2013 A1 also known as Siding Spring.

The designation numbers tell us what it is and when discovered. "C" for comet, the next number is the year it was discovered, and the letter number tells us the month.

There are a LOT of comets, and different kinds of comets. Worse: we tend to name comets after the person or observatory that found it. Siding Spring is a observatory, and more than one comet has the name "Siding Spring". That's why the designation numbers is important.

Here is a list of Non-Periodic Comets

Here is a list of Periodic Comets

This is HUGE!
TWO COMETS COULD FLY BY MARS in 12 MONTHS!

This kind of EVENTS could cause GRAVITATIONAL EFFECTS on MARS.... And its moons, PHOBOS AND DEIMOS

edit on 20-8-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Uhm, I'm glad you're excited Arken, but really, considering how many objects we have in our solar system the odds that two comets would pass by Mars in the same year is not really all that fantastic at all.

Just because it happens next year (IF it happens next year. ISON may not survive it's trip around the sun, and if it doesn't then no, there will only be one comet fly close to Mars), doesn't mean it has not happen before in the last 5 billion years, or won't happen again.

As for the comets having a gravitational effect on Mars......not really much of an effect to speak of:

The Hill Sphere formula for how far out from a object with mass will it's gravity have an effect on things. Normally it's used for how far out it's gravity can be to capture objects, but it can be used to show the sphere of influence that a object can have on things.

That and of course the fact that Mars has a mass of 6.4185×10^23 kg or 641,850,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg, Phobos has a mass of 1.072×10^16 kg or 10,720,000,000,000,000 kg, and Deimos has a mass of 1.48×10^15 kg or 1,480,000,000,000,000 kg, and both are well inside the Hill Sphere of Mars.

Where as these comets will have a much smaller mass of somewhere around 2.3×10^13 kg or 23,000,000,000,000 kg, and a Hill Sphere radius that is very very small (less than 23,000 miles or 6.5 million miles).

The Earth's Hill Sphere radius is only around 972,000 miles.

So, no, neither comet will have much of any gravitational influence on Mars or it's two moons.

However, the exciting this is if Siding Spring actually hits Mars! Even if it's nucleus is only 3 to 4 km wide, it would hit with the power of 5.3 million megatons and make a crater about 45km wide!

Now that would be something to get excited about.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm
reply to post by Arken

This kind of events could cause gravitational effects on MARS....

Is this based on anyhing or just shooting the breeze?

My opinion on these two different and so near events of two fly by comets.

What your, boffins?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Thx Erik

A so huge impact on Mars, however, is not something that would be something to get excited about, but something to be scared.

But this can't happen. Again...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Is there a documented history on relatively small bodies causing graviational effects on relatively huge bodies?

You can call it an opinion but if it is only based on random pseudo-scientific babble, it's just an empty statement that makes it sound like you know what you are talking about.

Since you said it was your opinion and didn't provide any sources to back it up, I'll guess, it is just that.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

I'm humble, and clear on what is my opinion and what not.

Hmmm... You spinning round and round.

As I said you, however, stay calm. But very...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
We should get some good images from the Mars Rover if it comes real close.

Really looking forward to the autumn/fall and the opportunity to see a fine example of a comet.

If a comet does impact Mars, then that would be a spectacular event. Personally, I hope it does.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

But this can't happen. Again...

Why couldn't it? As he said, there are so many objects floating around, I'm surprised we haven't seen it sooner.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Let me rephrase it for you.

Is your opinion that it could cause gravitational effects based on any prior studies, documentation, common knowledge or fact?

If it isn't it is just random babble.

In that case you could also say that the comet COULD harbor a race of alien unicorns.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
An easy way to differentiate between the two comets:

C/2012 S1 - ISON - the "comet of the century" - passes millions of miles away from Mars).

C/2013 A1 - Siding Spring - the "MARS comet" - passes very close to Mars.

~~~

The explanation for the odd appearance of ISON on Hubble images is that they took several exposures while the telescope tracked the stars instead of tracking the comet. They did it because they wanted the stars and galaxies to be shown properly. Normally, the comet is tracked and the stars appear as lines, due to the fact that the comet keeps moving during the exposure.

More explained here: hubblesite.org...

Deny ignorance, search for the truth.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This comet ISON is getting more and more interesting but i suppose we will have to wait till November to find out what it really is.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It would be pretty bad ass if it collided into the spot where Rover was and Rover was able to catch it (before being destroyed)...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Sounds like a good false flag for launching a nuclear warhead from the Mars Rover on the advanced alien race living there....

Sorry, just my mind wondering again....Absolutely zero truth to that statement, I don't want Neo to come hunting me down for my opinions also!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join