It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISON Object (Comet?) To Fly By (Impact?) Mars next Fall! NASA News.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
After I've seen this intriguing thread www.abovetopsecret.com... and this image(by Bilk22, ATS member)
seems that "OBJECT" is not what we thought!
So I searched some NASA news about this topic.
And find this:

Notice also how NASA point at that Object with its aim. The two White lines of the aim seems cover what that objet really is...

Compare with the image of Bilk 22...

And this...

So this ISON OBJECT could Fly By/Impact Mars in next Fall. ISON is heading for a Thanksgiving Day ?

Other source: mimuz.com...

edit on 20-8-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
i still woow about ison..very strange shape..so mr. what do you think if ison hit mars? is it dangerous to earth?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Here is another video to put it in perspective. It definitely looks like its going to get really close to mars. Should be interesting to watch!

DC

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
These are two different comets.

The comet in the first image is what we commonly refer to as comet ISON, and is designated: C/2012 S1 ISON

The comet that people were talking about a possible impact with Mars is designated: C/2013 A1 Sliding Spring

Two different comets.

Sliding Spring was first discussed in this thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Back in Feb.

Comet C/2012 S1 ISON will only get within 6.7 million miles of Mars.

Comet C/2013 A1 Sliding Spring will come very close to Mars in October 2014, possibly as close as 23,000 miles of it.

But it's not ISON that has any chance of impacting Mars.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Comet C/2013 A1 Sliding Spring will come very close to Mars in October 2014, possibly as close as 23,000 miles of it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Just this morning I was reading 'Physics of the Future' and happened to get to the 'Teraforming Mars' section. One of the viable options to kickstart teraforming Mars is to redirect a comet towards Mars. Comets are mostly ice and rock, and if we picked the right one, we'd dump a bunch of ice into Mars that would heat up and melt in the atmosphere, quite possibly restarting the planet.

Maybe nature is thinking along the same lines
edit on 20-8-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Thanks for another great thread Arken.
It´s going to be interesting to get a closer look at this object when it comes closer.
I hope it will be a a landing on Mars next year instead of a impact, that would makes thing more interesting.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Hi Erik.

Maybe I misunderstood.

So, why NASA call that Comet ISON? It is not the same "Object/Comet"?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy
i still woow about ison..very strange shape..so mr. what do you think if ison hit mars? is it dangerous to earth?

My personal opinion is NO. None impact and for several reasons...

But, We could see "something strange" from Deimos and Phobos some days before the Fly By...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

The triangle in the pic is not the shape of ISON. It is the result of several long exposure shots and a change in camera perspectives, making it look like 3 lines with an angle, when it is in fact just a dot.

I has been explained a hundred times and the evidence has been presented throughout that thread.

What a headless chicken farm of moronic proportions.
edit on 20-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

Stay very but very calm, Mr. "I know". And use a civil fashion to explain your point of view.
Ok?
Thx

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

It's the only conclusion I can draw from observing these threads.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider
reply to post by Arken

Thanks for another great thread Arken.
It´s going to be interesting to get a closer look at this object when it comes closer.
I hope it will be a a landing on Mars next year instead of a impact, that would makes thing more interesting.

Hi Spacespider,
This could be a possibility...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm
reply to post by Arken

It's the only conclusion I can draw from observing these threads.

Why so rude?

Your excessive self esteem and arrogance, put your explaination in the trash bin.

It's the only conclusion I can draw from observing your posts.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

They didn't. The orbital map you posted clearly shows the name of the comet, and it's not ISON.

As for the "object" that was explained in the other thread. It's three images taken by the Hubble, which moved between images, making it look like that

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Hi Erik.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Watch the video again. They call the comet they are talking about ISON, that is C/2012 S1, and they say it will get within 0.7 AU of Mars. 1 AU is about 93,000,000 miles. 0.7 of that is just over 6,500,000 miles.

Your other picture in your OP is showing comet Siding Spring (not ISON), C/2013 A1.

That one IS a impact possibility still (all though chances are still going down for that), it will pass very, very close to Mars.

The video however is only talking about ISON, and no where in there do they say it might impact with Mars.

It was a honest mistake. There are so many comets it can be hard to keep track of which one is which.
edit on 20-8-2013 by eriktheawful because: misspelled "Siding"

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Don't mistake my confidence for arrogance, Luke.

People that are still perpetuating the myth that comet ISON actually looks like that triangle are delusional and incapable of discerning fact from fantasy, and posess no ability to recognise the clear explanation for this "phenomenon" and the evidence that supports it.

I think "headless chicken" is an accurate description at this point.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Yes I notice that. I post that image only for show the path.

Thx for explanation, however, erik

But, now: I understood well
? Are There two different Comets could Fly By Mars, in one year distance?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Yes I notice that. I post that image only for show the path.

Thx for explanation, however, erik

But, now: I understood well
? Are There two different Comets could Fly By Mars, in one year distance?

Yep! Two comets, C/2012 S1, also known as ISON, and the 2nd comet C/2013 A1 also known as Siding Spring.

The designation numbers tell us what it is and when discovered. "C" for comet, the next number is the year it was discovered, and the letter number tells us the month.

There are a LOT of comets, and different kinds of comets. Worse: we tend to name comets after the person or observatory that found it. Siding Spring is a observatory, and more than one comet has the name "Siding Spring". That's why the designation numbers is important.

Here is a list of Non-Periodic Comets

Here is a list of Periodic Comets

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

Hi Neo .... it could just be that some people havent seen that picture showing the path of the comet superimposed onto the shape of the comet .... I think once youve seen that picture it becomes obvious why the comet looks like it does .... and having read all the other thread it does seem that many people missed the important post which cleared up the mystery .... I also read your frustration in that thread too ... so just because someone hasnt read the solution doesnt mean they are "whatever you said", it just means they havent read the answer .... Arken brings alot of cool info to this site and deserves respect IMO ... anyway just saying ...

and anyway isnt this thread about a fly by/impact with mars? ....
edit on 20-8-2013 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

Hi Erik.

Maybe I misunderstood.

Watch the video again. They call the comet they are talking about ISON, that is C/2012 S1, and they say it will get within 0.7 AU of Mars. 1 AU is about 93,000,000 miles. 0.7 of that is just over 6,500,000 miles.

Your other picture in your OP is showing comet Siding Spring (not ISON), C/2013 A1.

That one IS a impact possibility still (all though chances are still going down for that), it will pass very, very close to Mars.

The video however is only talking about ISON, and no where in there do they say it might impact with Mars.

It was a honest mistake. There are so many comets it can be hard to keep track of which one is which.
edit on 20-8-2013 by eriktheawful because: misspelled "Siding"

What he said. Also, this:

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join