It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK ordered Guardian to destroy hard drives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

UK authorities reportedly raided the Guardian’s office in London to destroy hard drives in an effort to stop future publications of leaks from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

Another source familiar with the event confirmed to Reuters that Guardian employees destroyed the computers as UK officials observed.

rt.com...

So , they are destroying the truth.

I think we should take back ups of what we read on the internet. But I believed that freedom has been ruling in west. But the more it goes the more I understand that , there is freedom as long as govt interest is not ignored.

The most clear thing is how they cooperate to let themselves rule people.

best regards
△ NWO ▽

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

The guardian editor Alan Rusbridger who, in a long editorial focusing on the tribulations of Greenwald, his partner, modern journalism and free speech and press in a time of near-ubiquitous tyranny when the status quo is questioned, happened to let his readers know that a month ago, after the newspaper had published several stories based on Snowden's material, a British official advised him: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back."

Rusbirdger said in an interview with BBC that two "security experts" from Government Communications Headquarters, the British NSA equivalent, visited the Guardian's London offices and in the building's basement, government officials watched as computers which contained material provided by Snowden were physically pulverized. One of the officials jokes: "We can call off the black helicopters."

more here
edit on 20-8-2013 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Yeah... smash the computers, that will stop the leaks and reporting. I am sure that nobody else has any copies, including the Guardian or it's staff or correspondents abroad.

What are these people so afraid of? Lets face it, we, the ordinary citizens, are NOT the only ones under 24x7 surveillance, as so too are each and every member of the government and it's various agencies. So it's highly likely there is material in those files that could be extremely damaging to not only individual government members, but the whole damned lot of them. They wanted this surveillance apparatus to watch us all, never intending it to be used on THEM as well, but let this monster grow and allow zero oversight. What fools they are!

Now that it's getting out, they attack the messenger and imply criminal activity on the part of those leaking the information, rather than the criminality of the surveillance itself. Time to pull the plug on GCHQ, Menwith Hill (kick the bastards out NOW) and quit this ridiculous paranoid spying on everyone. It is NOT there to protect us, as they like to keep telling us, but is there solely to enrich corporate chums or to get the dirt on opponents for future leverage. They are victims of their own paranoia and power trips!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Now that it's getting out, they attack the messenger and imply criminal activity on the part of those leaking the information, rather than the criminality of the surveillance itself. Time to pull the plug on GCHQ, Menwith Hill (kick the bastards out NOW) and quit this ridiculous paranoid spying on everyone. It is NOT there to protect us, as they like to keep telling us, but is there solely to enrich corporate chums or to get the dirt on opponents for future leverage. They are victims of their own paranoia and power trips!

Yes, but I wonder how much longer the laugh can last. How long it will take for numb individuals to wake up.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wow, almost couldn't believe this could possibly be true until I clicked the link and saw it on the guardian's site myself.

To actually send people to a newspaper's headquarters and have them destroy their equipment in that way seems to be a gross over-reaching of power.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Yeah... smash the computers, that will stop the leaks and reporting. I am sure that nobody else has any copies, including the Guardian or it's staff or correspondents abroad.

It's a knee jerk panic based reaction of you ask me.. They clearly didn't think it through.. not only are copies sure to be out there but I can't see how this could possibly be perceived well in the public eye.. Strong-arming journalists is a bad idea..
edit on 8/20/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I am just going to post this from another article by Alan Rusbridger which was posted in another thread -

And so one of the more bizarre moments in the Guardian's long history occurred – with two GCHQ security experts overseeing the destruction of hard drives in the Guardian's basement just to make sure there was nothing in the mangled bits of metal which could possibly be of any interest to passing Chinese agents. "We can call off the black helicopters," joked one as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro.
Whitehall was satisfied, but it felt like a peculiarly pointless piece of symbolism that understood nothing about the digital age. We will continue to do patient, painstaking reporting on the Snowden documents, we just won't do it in London. The seizure of Miranda's laptop, phones, hard drives and camera will similarly have no effect on Greenwald's work.

David Miranda, schedule 7 and the danger that all reporters now face

So we can expect a lot of journalists to move abroad if they want to continue down the route of exposing the truth.

Ridonkulous

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I actually find this incident disturbing.

Is this East Germany or the United Kingdom?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Wow, almost couldn't believe this could possibly be true until I clicked the link and saw it on the guardian's site myself.

To actually send people to a newspaper's headquarters and have them destroy their equipment in that way seems to be a gross over-reaching of power.

Now thats textbook understatement. I wonder under what authority was the police able to become active in that way? What articles were invoked? I cant think of any other case like that on the European continent after 1945.

Facetious

No. 2
edit on 20-8-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I actually find this incident disturbing.

Is this East Germany or the United Kingdom?

No , it is UK and I am reporting from the NWO.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
I am just going to post this from another article by Alan Rusbridger which was posted in another thread -

And so one of the more bizarre moments in the Guardian's long history occurred – with two GCHQ security experts overseeing the destruction of hard drives in the Guardian's basement just to make sure there was nothing in the mangled bits of metal which could possibly be of any interest to passing Chinese agents. "We can call off the black helicopters," joked one as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro.
Whitehall was satisfied, but it felt like a peculiarly pointless piece of symbolism that understood nothing about the digital age. We will continue to do patient, painstaking reporting on the Snowden documents, we just won't do it in London. The seizure of Miranda's laptop, phones, hard drives and camera will similarly have no effect on Greenwald's work.

David Miranda, schedule 7 and the danger that all reporters now face

So we can expect a lot of journalists to move abroad if they want to continue down the route of exposing the truth.

Ridonkulous

That is how self loving people in NWO should be.

Every one is so selfish that wishes other people face the danger so that heshe they can live and take pleasure of life.
edit on 21-8-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join