It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Wide Quake Sensor Nets Largely Offline??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Okay folks.... I first saw this last night in looking over the heliplots I maintain displays for on a web site. I noticed a fair number and more than normal were offline. Not just the American Network but the separate International Network as well. Those not off line were showing weird things.

Well? It's only gotten weirder. Has anyone else noticed this??

ANSS Backbone Stations / LISS

GSN Stations / LISS

The first one is United States and the second one is global. A good % of both are out entirely and were last night, as noted. A majority of those not? have 1 - 1 1/2 lines or are blank entirely.

Now it's not only common but expected for some small % of those readings to be wild or looking like God kicked the planet. A few are always haywire for one reason or another and don't even get me started about the twilight zone of the South Pole (Palmer) or the vibrator of the Pacific Islands. Almost every single one though? Across both networks for 2 nights running? (I didn't check during the day... hadn't thought to)

Anyone have any ideas?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I wonder....

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
You know, it's almost certainly not this... I'm sure it's not...but one of my first thoughts seeing it got worse tonight?

Those displays are the only method you, me and homer simpson have to see a nuclear detonation somewhere in the world. If you know what they look like, and google has plenty of examples to start with, then they shine like a beacon in the darkness from everything else on a heliplot. ...unless there is literally no good heliplot in the world showing a public feed?

Naww.. couldn't be that though. ATS thinking......right?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Whoa.

That is seriously spooky. All but China out in that first batch? Did the sequester affect the main clearinghouse office? Either it's something ridiculously simple (and crucial to the entire system like main power) or....?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Nah, we are good. Maybe the gov. didn't pay their internet fees?...

Just thinking aloud..

Okay, here is another quake sensor system (worldwide, of course).

Edit: Ah, now I got your posting!... Sorry, don't have any idea about China or if there were any quakes over there.
edit on 20-8-2013 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

This is a conspiracy site after all!

Aaand...the 5.8 in Virginia was August 23, 2011!
Wasn't that rumored to be a blast???

Anyway, I checked the closest one that I know of to me.
It's at the college about 35 miles away.
Something going on there too!

Starting on the 15/16th, it's been out every night from 00:00 'til 02:00, except one.
Okay, too predictable...some kind of glitch!
But... 16/17, not out 00:00 - 02:00. But is off from 15:30 - 23:45!

Then 17/18, only off 00:00 - 02:00. The rest is okay.

18/19, off 00:00 - 02:00. On 02:00 'til 04:45. Then off until 24:00!

19/20, off again 00:00 - 02:00, then okay.

20/21, off again 00:00 - 02:00. Now it's on again, but 2 hours ahead of time!
Probably just a glitch, but weird that it would be acting up when the others are too!

rev.seis.sc.edu...

I've never noticed it down like that before. It has missed a few lines before,
after a storm when they had bad flooding. But no bad weather going on for the last week.
WOQ
edit on 20-8-2013 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

I just checked the ANSS American system again and its still offline. Every sensor pack, every location. Not even blanks on the American net. Just 100% offline.

The international one has changed as well. Now ONLY Chinese stations show anything whatsoever. No other station in the world is showing a feed online at USGS right now. All offline. No more blanks or partial charts.

Okie.. Something's up, even if it's just maintenance in a very weird way. I've only been watching these since 2011 but it's long enough to say in THAT time? I've never seen anything like this before. If the WHOLE network had crashed down at once, I could see it being that. A Crash.. Over a short time though? This has kinda failed and faltered in sections and pieces. So strange? (and leaving a big ugly hole in a section of my project.. Grrr.... FIX THEM USGS!)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Are they all interconnected?
Have you looked at Yellowstone's?
I guess I lost my link when I got a different computer!

WOQ

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

The world wide services like USGS and the Euro agency are still putting out updated feeds for quake data. Location coordinates, mag, depth and strength rating. Meta data, basically... It's these heliplot rolls that seem to have vanished.

I never realized how attached I'd got to them until I don't have them to reference. Seeing a text list of quakes means nothing to me now without seeing the trace of the lines to gauge strength and felt force around the world. Without these? Oh.. Just fix em is all I say. I want my plots back.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Well, some of them are back!

But what's with the 'broken jolts'?
I could understand the ones when it started up again.
Like a power surge when it came on.
But what about where it's in the middle of them?

And why aren't they all back?
Do they need reset manually maybe?
Weird!
WOQ

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Thank you for the update! As of this moment, I'm not sure I trust those feeds to be legit to the location they state but that could be placeholders for whatever they are doing. Nothing nefarious. Perhaps it is a system wide update or something along those lines?

Anyway.. I'm dubious because of the global ones I've come to expect to look a certain way only Pitcairn Island is looking as it should. Midway, Johnston Atoll and Palmer Station are all looking too smooth and quiet to be the regular feeds I know and love from those craaazy places. (Midway really does look like a big vibrator most of the time while Palmer? The tracks MUST be the way they normally are by ice? I don't know why else it looks like it's sitting on a dance floor during a disco most of the time.
)

I'll check back on them all tomorrow and hopefully they'll be back up. I'd be ...crushed..I think would be the word. Mad would be it. depressed isn't right... On the project I use these in, I have a dozen off each network in a nice tabbed content box but added a fair amount more that took a long time to make and get just right. I was starting to get concerned.... I could just see a note come up saying "Closed due to Sequestration! - See main table list for current Earthquakes".

edit on 20-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm wondering if it's either the USGS version of black magic marker all over a FOIA page, or everyone at HQ bugged out and turned off the lights.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It only happens once in a blue moon...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
So, how can you tell the difference between a 'quake' caused by the earth's crust and a 'quake' caused by a 'blast' of some sort? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

edit on 21-8-2013 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Bump!

Ummm.... They appear to all still be out of order???

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Any idea what the difference is in a man made explosion and a natural earthquake on the graphs?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

The seismograms are set up so as to document earthquakes and not mining operations or other kind of blasts. They can tell the difference on the readouts.

new topics

top topics

join