It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima bay radiation levels highest since measurements began

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Oh my the radiation in the sea water in Fukushima Bay is at it's highest levels since they began taking measurements.

Reports from Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), operator of the disaster-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, say that measurements of radioactive tritium in seawater – seeping out of the nuclear complex via groundwater into the sea – show levels at 4700 becquerels per liter, the highest tritium level in the measurement history. The highest tritium levels have come in the past 15 days, the same reports show.

Tepco also discovered another highly radioactive leak from a valve on a tank dyke at the site..

So its not getting any better its getting way worse. I wonder if they will ever get this fixed

japandailypress.com...
edit on 19-8-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Its not looking so good over there. Their barriers are totally ineffective, they are basically flooding the whole area to keep the nuclear fuel from igniting. There are other spent fuel pools at risk, but there have been at least three reactors that went critical and lost its fuel.

We have three 100-ton melted fuel blobs underground, but where exactly they are located, no one knows. Whatever 'barriers' TEPCO has put in place so far have failed. Efforts to decontaminate radioactive water have failed. Robots have failed. Camera equipment and temperature gauges...failed. Decontamination of surrounding cities has failed.

The whole plant is sinking because of all the water they are pumping in. The ground is overly saturated and the whole mess is heading south.

I dont think the repercussions of this event are even helpful at this time.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Could we just nuke it and glass the whole mess? Would that throw material into the atmosphere. Would that be more or less than what would be released allowing this to continue?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Smoke em if you got em we are all gonna die of cancer in 20 years anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I wish we could just put Fukushima "Under the dome"..

edit on 19-8-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Its clear JAPAN is incapable of taking care of this mess. The Russians got their mess cleaned up decently.

They also didn't have tons of spent fuel laying around. Those pools aren't even made for long term storage.

Why is the entire world sitting on their assets while this poison continues to pour out into the ocean. We all have to live here, this is a global crisis. Its high time we acted on this nightmare.
edit on 8/19/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yeah, supposedly they don't know where 3 of the CORES went... here is a guess... they went DOWN!!! we are talking CHINA SYNDROME... water table contamination... everything!!! ocean contamination!... (only this is real-world stuff )...wait and see I guess...

Nice...

enenews.com... on-blobs-are

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I dont, got one to spare? I could use it.

There is quite a bit of talk about the western US and an increase in cancer and thyroid problems. Totally possible considering the prevailing winds aloft and ocean currents.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

It would throw tiny particles into the atsmosphere. And travel faster then it already is. Problem that I can see, no one would be willing to take the responsibility of nuking the site and responsibility for the aftermath.

And the biggest problem I can see, it won't vapourize the corium as they should be long underground by now.

And I don't want to even think of nuking the used fuel bundles. You thought the radiation from the corium is bad , wait until this stuff gets released.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrTritium

Damned if we do damned if we dont aye?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

On August 11, Tepco said that a newly built observation well contained highly toxic water. The well, which was drilled just four meters from the sea on August 7, contained 34,000 becquerels of radioactive tritium per liter.

That's a whole lot of tritium. It almost sounds wrong. Isn't tritium the same stuff that makes stop signs glow when light hits it?
edit on 8/19/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

Well, there is a bright side to that. If the cores really never stabilized and kept going down? Eventually they'll get active again and keep going. Mt. Fuji? Meet Mt Fukushima. The Mountain that doesn't even need sunlight to see on!

I said bright.. not positive.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm really starting to consider purchasing a Geiger counter. I dont want to expedite my end any sooner than it has to be.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the history with Tepco is that when they finally admit something. - the reality is way way worse!
edit on 19-8-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Its damage control at this point. All in the name of saving face.
If the world really found out how bad this is people would be picketing in front of their neighborhood nuke plant.

I dont like living near one at all. The first reactor in my area is pushing thirty years old.
Scares the hell out of me when i hear that siren go off form time to time.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I'm interested to know if anyone here has read "On the Beach." It is a story set on the Australian seashore after a nurclear war, and three people who survive, on that beach, solely because of jetstream, but know their time is limited.....

Does it occur to anyone that time is circular in its dilation, and perhaps "fiction" that was left behind, was some kind of clue to us.....

The question then, becomes, who will survive, for some seem to, despite the scientific and medical evidence and results we have seen in Russia among other places of nuclear core meltdowns......and why and how and what will become of us this time?

Just sayin'
Tetra

ETA all those books and movies we read and take in may not be as much fiction as we think....God forbid....
I pray and hope for us all daily.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
update from rt

TEPCO admits leakage of 300 tons of water with monstrous radiation level

Another tank with highly radioactive water at the devastated Fukushima nuclear power plant has leaked, reported operator TEPCO. The contaminated water contains an unprecedented 80 million Becquerels of radiation per liter. The norm is a mere 150 Bq.

rt.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

The Chicago Tribune has it too, from Reuters:ChicagoTribune80mBeqs

I added the Trib link because I've had people on other Forums say:" well that's what you get for quoting the Russians" if I linked to RT. If TEPCO is admitting to the 300 tons, how much do you think has *actually* leaked?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Its not looking so good over there. Their barriers are totally ineffective, they are basically flooding the whole area to keep the nuclear fuel from igniting. There are other spent fuel pools at risk, but there have been at least three reactors that went critical and lost its fuel.

We have three 100-ton melted fuel blobs underground, but where exactly they are located, no one knows. Whatever 'barriers' TEPCO has put in place so far have failed. Efforts to decontaminate radioactive water have failed. Robots have failed. Camera equipment and temperature gauges...failed. Decontamination of surrounding cities has failed.

The whole plant is sinking because of all the water they are pumping in. The ground is overly saturated and the whole mess is heading south.

several reactors are sinking not only because of the water they are pumping in but also because the area had large amounts of water already saturating the soil from the mountains right next door to the reactors, neither of which paints a pretty picture for keeping these reactors from going critical again.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

There isn't a lot left that can be done. Letting it burn away is one option....not a good one at that.
They can remove the fuel, but should anything happen during removal they could make the whole thing go critical.

The other side of this coin is, if there is another earthquake and the fuel is uncovered and allowed to burn.

We are in for a real treat, we may live to see the extinction of mankind.
I wanted to see mars before i die.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join