It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Software on Open Source Hardware Connecting Over Encrypted Networks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i have been looking at the state of the internet lately, mainly because of leaks, but also because technology changes so fast.

first let me define my tittle,

the definition of free software

Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. With these freedoms, the users (both individually and collectively) control the program and what it does for them.

When users don't control the program, the program controls the users. The developer controls the program, and through it controls the users. This nonfree or “proprietary” program is therefore an instrument of unjust power.

Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”.

A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

large quote was to make a point.

www.gnu.org...

this software layer is VERY IMPORTANT for a free and open technology,
if you want to you should be able to make changes and remove and add content to your hearts content.

the definition of open source hardware,

Open source hardware is hardware whose design is made publicly available so that anyone can study, modify, distribute, make, and sell the design or hardware based on that design. The hardware's source, the design from which it is made, is available in the preferred format for making modifications to it. Ideally, open source hardware uses readily-available components and materials, standard processes, open infrastructure, unrestricted content, and open-source design tools to maximize the ability of individuals to make and use hardware. Open source hardware gives people the freedom to control their technology while sharing knowledge and encouraging commerce through the open exchange of designs.

freedomdefined.org...

when you run free software, it helps the whole community.
when you add your designs to the open source hardware community, it helps the whole community
it makes it possable to KNOW "what the software does" and "what the hardware does" and run software you trust on hardware you trust.

so free software and open source hardware are complimentary to each others aims goals and principals.

but in this day and age what is the point of having a computer, if its not network connected/

well that is where the encrypted networks come in,
if you have "control" over your own free software,
and control and faith in the hardware, (or even built it yourself)
you will need the ability to connect to others in your community.

there is a project in the works for a sub-network (encrypted) internet,
it is being built with the idea that no one person controls it, similar to the internet,
but operating as an intranet.
eventually there will be shops and games and conspiracy web sights ect.

so freedom in my opinion is being able to use free software (no self updating contracts to agree to)
using open source hardware to run that free software (no hardware back doors)
and communicating over an encrypted connection to your community.

i see in the near future the ability to buy "vetted" hardware, running free software that answers to me, and to communicate with my friends and community over a secure encrypted connection,

for no other reason than i have control over the "digital life" i have on the current internet.

thats it control,

you see every time you click "accept" at the bottom of an internet contract,
you lose control, thats not freedom, thats a walled garden
every time you buy proprietary hardware you are limited to knowing only that which the company divulges,
if they chose there could be a finger print scanner in your phone! thats not freedom,
if you wanted to use the internet, you are spied on by ever single nation on earth, thats not freedom.

freedom is Free Software running on open sourced hardware, connecting over encrypted networks,

some people would say "if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide"

to which i say freedom means you dont have to choose between two false choices,

freedom is not terrorism, it is a choice to be in control of your own digital lives,
and meter the amount of information "you choose" to release to your comunity,

AKA privacy.

xploder

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

edit on 19/8/13 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

join