It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They win, you don't.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Greetings ATS:

This is a semi-random chit-chat post, stirring no controversy and boiling no ire.

Have you encountered any people in life that seem to have everything go their way? I have known several such people. They are no more special than you or I, but their lives seem to have magical effervescence. They have amazing experiences and always seem to have joy.

Better genetics
Better looks
Better luck
Better timing
Better experiences
Better everything

I have never been one of these people. Every good thing I have become has been arduous, every good experience follows a proverbial root-canal. I am past the point where it bothers me, those who have. I just know I am one of the people who doesn't have it, this luminiferous undeserved aura.

This weekend, as I repaired my lawn mower for the 5th time this summer, the carburetor jets clogged with carbonation, I realized that when the special people turn the key the engine always starts. Grunts like me have to toil, constantly maintaining and replacing the gaskets of life to have some semblance of functionality.

I do not curse the blessed, but merely sit in wonder that it is this way for some. When I was younger, I thought I might be amongst them, now I know it is not so. When I turn the key, nothing happens.

I knew a girl once that always had everything. Her life was a dream. I thought it couldn't go on that way forever. I bumped into her, and it's still a dream. Not an illusion, it really IS wonderful, every friggin day, wonderful and amazing.

I know a guy that no matter how terrible he is, everything comes out golden. How?

There are many possible contrapuntal viewpoints, and that's great. I think it's a conspiracy.

They win, I don't. Do you?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In the world of the bright and shiney, I have always been the dull and tarnished.

I know those people you speak of, they are generally always cheerful too. Make my teeth ache. They can put on clean clothes and look freshly pressed all day. I put on actually ironed clothes and within 5 minutes look like an unmade bed.

If a hard way to do something can be found, I will ferret it out, every time.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Seriously. My brother's wife's brother is one of those. People fall all over themselves to give him valuable things. If he finds money, it's wads of 50s. Me, it's a nickel or a dime; sometimes a quarter.

People have given him cars, sets of new golf clubs, undeveloped properties—on and on and on...

He can fall in a s---pile and someone will come along and say, "Wow! You smell great! I'm retiring; can I give you my company?"

What's worse is that he's a truly nice and modest person. He's as mystified as everyone else about it....

edit on 8/19/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
ter everything

Every good thing I have become has been arduous, every good experience follows a proverbial root-canal.

There are many possible contrapuntal viewpoints, and that's great. I think it's a conspiracy.

They win, I don't. Do you?

"proverbial root-canal" Now that's funny, thanks for that it made my day. S&F

It's a conspiracy of statistical probability is my best guess. Excuse me now gotta get back in the dentist chair.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I put on actually ironed clothes and within 5 minutes look like an unmade bed.

If a hard way to do something can be found, I will ferret it out, every time.

Artfully and wonderfully said. For some, there are no straight lines and right angles. Everything good comes at a price.

Interestingly, you can never go back. If you were to become among the blessed yellow-brick-roaders you would still remember and know the unmade bed. It's a one-way street, is it not?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think it just makes us appriciate things better

Then again who ever said money doesnt buy happiness, is stupid!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hey OP: Right there with you. My saying is, if I touch it, it's guaranteed to turn to sh@#t. Sorry for the expletive, but it's pretty dead on. The only time something works out, it's as if it's only for a moment, just to give me a little hope, just so I can "crash" emotionally, all over again, as though you're some kind of torture victim who has been tortured so much, this is the only way left to get to you......

Yeah, I see and have known the "others" you're talking about. But let me say this about that, by the age of 51, I have figured out that sometimes that is just what it looks and seems like to the rest of us.

In other words, they may have their private pain they keep very well hidden, for various reasons. Just something to consider.....

Right with you, anyway, so don't feel alone, at least.....
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

I don't have "good luck". I never win on a lotto ticket and things like that.

But i do have luck. My luck is basically that bad things don't happen, not that good things do. For example: i won't have that wreck, instead having a near miss.

My mom on the other hand.....she wins all the time. we have 3 xbox's in my house, all won by her doing sweepstakes She has won over 10k on a scratch off more than once.

Meh...whatever.
I still get to live, even if i am not considered "lucky".

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Interestingly, you can never go back. If you were to become among the blessed yellow-brick-roaders you would still remember and know the unmade bed. It's a one-way street, is it not?

Indeed, I believe it is familial, at least in my case. I had trouble with a light in my closet, which oddly opened in the bedroom and also in the hall, the light in the hall opening did not work. My Father worked for two days, trips into the attic, much grunting and so forth, at the end I had a light. The catch was the switch in the hall operated the light on the bedroom side, and that switch operated the hall side.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
i have either no luck or good luck. it's like either going to be fun or boring with me.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

Indeed, I believe it is familial, at least in my case. I had trouble with a light in my closet, which oddly opened in the bedroom and also in the hall, the light in the hall opening did not work. My Father worked for two days, trips into the attic, much grunting and so forth, at the end I had a light. The catch was the switch in the hall operated the light on the bedroom side, and that switch operated the hall side.

If I wasn't having such a bad day, you would have made me laugh with this. This describes exactly what I've tried to do, how I've felt, and how it always seems to turn out.....
More power to you for the ability to have a sense of humor about it. I'm trying, but it's very hard right now....

top topics

join