It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: NY Welfare Recipients Eligible For More In Benefits Than Teachers Earn

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
the elected politicians are forever sweetning the benefits for the single moms with children

and now that the Amnesty for the 30 million undocumented aliens is set to be passed...don;t think the welfare packages won't increase to attract them voters to certain voting districts...

many more Federal programs will be forthcoming after the Amnesty-Citizenship law is instituted...
and local politicians or States will vie for immigrants to settle in their voting districts...
as the local politician will be able to "deliver" the Latino or other new voter to the Party in power now

the corporations like the idea of the fear of benefits being reduced (called [Austerity) and riots anticipated.. for that's the sales pitch for Militarizing the police forces...of which they get profits from selling & replacing all that weaponry & defensive protection gear.
the localized insurance rates rise as income declines and the population demographic changes from a country-club neighborhood into places like Detroit or ghettos & barrio's of other cities fame

i do have a gripe with the OP use of the idea about 'Teachers...
today's teachers are only Course Instructors.... the course material is presented in a prescribed way and in accordance with a time-line...it is a pretty rigid protocol all the way around... class/group management is not Teaching in my book

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ah, Cloward and Piven is coming along nicely.

Got love it when people that don't work, make a nice living.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

You know what I can't help but feel while reading your reply? Depressed. Just..Depressed.

It's about the same feeling I had in my youth when I'd first made a big circuit of the nation by greyhound bus, exploring and trying to play homeless while in motion. lol.... It was a short but interesting time. Still, I grew up believing what TV suggested. 50 states with 50 real different types of people. Just to find out, we're as homogenized in most ways as a gallon of milk. It tastes precisely the same from Maine as California.....as if the same cow has a road trip.

Your note? Well, it just confirms the world is largely the same truth to find. All the 'hope' carried in the 'grass is greener' concept sounds as foolish globally as I was found it had been nationally. That is depressing.

It's like Reagan said, to paraphrase ..but he should have included England. 'We're the last place of freedom on Earth. When it falls, there is nowhere left to run'.

If he'd amended that to be We, in the proper sense to include you? It would have summed things up nicely today, wouldn't it?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

On SS and Medicare...as you pointed out, those programs are paid into. The gov. is one of the few orgs that counts withdrawls as expense. Should a bank count you withdrawing money from your savings as an expense? It wasn't thiers in the first place....Just saying.

And yes...the Baby Boomers are retiring...we are feeling it now, but while folks project to the future they never account for the pendulum swinging...

America's Baby Bust
online.wsj.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Sorry

The food stamps and welfare that the poor get is nothing compared to the welfare the mega corporations and the wealthy receive.

And here's Ron Paul saying the exact same thing.

You know, when I first came here in 1976 I think was under the impression that if you talk about welfare you're talkin about those people who won’t work and get foodstamps. But I have a completely different opinion now: that exists and it’s not healthy, but that’s minor compared to the “foodstamps” that the wealthy get.

Jump to 2:47

To make things clear, and I don't always agree with Ron Paul but sometimes he does make a lot of sense.

You all are outraged at the wrong group of people and that's exactly what they want.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

And that means what about this topic? "Study: NY Welfare Recipients Eligible For More In Benefits Than Teachers Earn"

We are not talking about Corporations now, are we?

I love the Progressive retort.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I'm not sure what point you're making? Then math simply makes this completely untenable as Western Birth rates drop steadily for a large variety of reasons ...and the generations before the toxins or whatever is disseminating our younger generations now (those who get born at all) are still as large, robust and anxious to draw their promised benefits as ever. The math.....the supply side isn't there now. We can't make good when supply cannot support it. Unless of course, we double down on insanely stupid and pay SS debt WITH debt ..which IS basically what we're doing here.

If SS didn't exist with it's bankrupted system that never has much worked as intended (The design was good...human hands to implement it? Destroyed that, almost out the gate) how much less burden would come onto the system right now? How much from SS spending offsets the budget actually running the nation and throwing it into the red levels, far in the debt column? Add the Medi- programs...and we're cooked well done. It's just a slow cook...even now.

I know you've seen this before, but take another gander on the medical side of it.

Now that's what inflation and greed have done up to now...without the REAL crisis landing on us from pure math by numbers joining the programs now. Those projections were last year. It hasn't improved with this year's submission. As workers to pay in real time to benefits out drop and benefit takers for both SS and Medi- climb WITH inflation eventually coming off flat line to rejoin economic reality in a true way?

We're so screwed by grade school math here, I am truly and honestly baffled how they get away with presenting it any other way. The lack of anyone dumbing it down as folks have come to expect ..AND the fact most people are too damn busy just keeping bills paid to spend hours learning is the only thing I figure which lets Obama and his people get away with it....or let Bush and HIS people get away with it.

These crooks cook those books so many ways, they ought to sell recipes, to fight the debt. Proceeds would surely make a dent.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Not to derail..so I will skip excerpts, but if you are doing a school paper on the issue of Medicare...see here and dig and validate/invalidate as the facts lead you...

economistsview.typepad.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

The food stamps and welfare that the poor get is nothing compared to the welfare the mega corporations and the wealthy receive.

Really haven't paid any attention to anything that has been said in this thread.

The welfare all that free food,free homes,free education, that 'saftey net' ALL lines them evil corporations pockets.

Why to people not see this ?

Welfare is CORPORATE WELFARE.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

neo96
This is what redistributed wealth means.

But not what accuracy means.

The CATO institute is by no means an unbiased think tank, taking money from whichever special interest wants to fund "studies."

The report, and subsequent conservative spin, fails to mention that the amount cited is the GRAND TOTAL of all available benefits, and even ADDS tax credits to inflate the total further. Few people are eligible for the total anti-poverty and social program benefits indicated for each state... and if they are, there's likely several reasons.

This is not to say there isn't fraud, in fact, the "system" is designed to allow fraud. However, that's no reason to push inaccurate stories that deflect the narrative away from real issues.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The CATO institute is by no means an unbiased think tank, taking money from whichever special interest wants to fund "studies."

They are no more biased than any other source out there, and true they are funded by two brothers who are the topic of much ridicule so much indeed the current administration use of government agencies targeted them to marginalize them.

The Missing Koch Report

For the sake of not arguing over the source ok throw it out the window,

This is not to say there isn't fraud, in fact, the "system" is designed to allow fraud. However, that's no reason to push inaccurate stories that deflect the narrative away from real issues.

This is absolutely true, and all I did was link an article for discussion if you feel Breitbart or the Cato institute should be added to the list of banned websites then, ok.
edit on 20-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
TAx cuts to companies then allow those companies to hire more workers. If you raise the tax rates and take away cuts you have lay offs and not hiring. Without people working, there is less to be put into government programs because that is where the money comes from to pay them. Eventually, you will run out of money. Here is another view...

Now, what you also do not talk about is the cost to run these programs. You have to pay for all of the social workers, the storefront, the phones for the workers, the cars and the mileage and the overtime, etc,etc. You get the point. We are paying people to give people, in some cases not all, free money. How about the advertising agencies that take government money to make the commercials to air to the poor so they can get assistance. You need food stamps but have cable??? and cell phones?

It is not just welfare which in the title. There are about 4,000,000 on welfare but there are 46,000,000 on food stamps. At an average of 500 for an EBT that is 25 BILLION dollars...on just food product. Blacks and whites are an equal in who is helped out. It is not a race issue. It is a control issue. The more the government can control one generation they can control the next and so on. Has been happening since the 20's and took 100 years but it is here. It is easier to live off the government than it is to work hard and get a job to support a family you create.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
That sounds just about right.
I get to work all day, come home stressed and not enjoy life for the most part while some freeloader has life handed over to him/her.

This is absurd.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Another blame the poor topic
Ignorance is bliss aint it folks?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
They need to have a cap on it. You can only get it for so long, and if you dont get your s #it together in that time frame...you are SOL.
That will stop people from just living on that and not bothering to find a job.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join