It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: NY Welfare Recipients Eligible For More In Benefits Than Teachers Earn

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

A new study finds that a New York mother of two is eligible for $38,004 in welfare benefits--a sum more than the annual salary of a New York entry-level school teacher.

Source

The Study

The study, conducted by the CATO Institute, says in many states welfare pays better than work. Topping the list of wage-equivalent benefits for a mother and two children was Hawaii at $60,590. Idaho came in last with $11,150

Had no idea welfare paid so well.

33 states pays better than an $8 buck and hour job.
12 states pays better than $15 buck an hour job.

Since the war of poverty began US taxpayers have footed over $15 trillion dollars out of their own pockets to pay for for someone else's existence.

This is what redistributed wealth means.

$15 trillion dollars that have lined them super,duper most nefarious evil, evil,evil corporations, and there are some folks saying we need to pay them people more cash so they can go give them evil corporations MORE money.

To be perfectly clear here I have no problems helping those who are in need BUT not to the tune of $15 TRILLION bucks.

This asinine everyone is a winner, and giving people trophies for showing up in life needs to END.

Yes I am well aware others will disagree with me feel free this is my opinion there are many like it, but this one is mine.

edit on 19-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Modern day slavery at it's finest Neo..............

They don't realize when the slavemasters stop the checks that chaos and civil unrest will be the norm for the day.....

Honestly, you can't blame the players, you have to blame the game. (government)

We have been manipulated into a modern form of slavery that will have us begging to kiss the feet of our masters to just get a morsel of food................

For now, no whips and chains necessary! Our lack of caring and selfishness will prove our demise in this country....

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Don't blame the people, blame the ones responsible - your government.

Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
~ Benjamin Franklin

I know people that live on welfare and refuse to look for work because they have no need to. Now I completely understand why. There is no longer a reason to further your education and strive for a good paying job when you can sit on your ass and make more than a teacher.

edit on 8/19/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Oh...the Cato institute?...as spun by Briebart? ...Must by a well done and credible study!

Honestly...the far-rights angry war with poor people is just tired.

Why is it always the poor who deserve your disdain? Let's trim military spending? NSA? Cease subsidies to Oil companies? Close some loop-holes for jet-owners...etc. etc. Then we can get back to hating on the poor?

Honestly, I don't get the pre-occupation with poor people?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Franklin never said it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Think I will hold both accountable :

"There is no evidence that people on welfare are lazy," writes CATO senior fellow Michael Tanner. "But they're also not stupid. If you pay them more not to work than they can earn by working, many will choose not to work."

I blame the people who take advantage of the program, and I blame those in government who take advantage of the people.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll
reply to post by neo96

Don't blame the people, blame the ones responsible - your government.

Just my opinion.

Most definitely! Our government has become one of enablement. Now I am not certain about other states, but here in PA, able bodied folks get a set amount of time to get their act together, then they get kicked off the dole. I think this works very well.

Our economy here in PA is much better than the rest of the country, I feel this is because everyone contributes to society. And there are plenty of jobs to be found. And you know what else? I see the worst of the worst from our ghettos getting on the bus to go to work. Amazing!

Oh and one more thing.. Woman who have babies while on welfare do not get anything extra for that child. Having babies is a right, but only if you can pay for them yourself.

My best advice is for you to move to a state that does not condone chronic laziness. And I am totally serious here. There is no way I could sit back and watch this happen in my own state. I get angry enough seeing this happen elsewhere.

edit on 19-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Oh...the Cato institute?...as spun by Briebart? ...Must by a well done and credible study!

More credible than This post

Honestly...the far-rights angry war with poor people is just tired.

Free free to stop political trolling anytime.

Why is it always the poor who deserve your disdain? Let's trim military spending? NSA? Cease subsidies to Oil companies? Close some loop-holes for jet-owners...etc. etc. Then we can get back to hating on the poor?

Pointing out fraud and abuse does not mean I hate the poor.

Rather sick and tired of that LAME crap, and it is LAME because some people can't come up with a real argument,.

Honestly, I don't get the pre-occupation with poor people?

I don't care don't like what I say don't read it how about stop being so 'preoccupied' with what Neo says.

What can't make up your own mind ?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Ya know Neo, my best friend whom died years ago of kidney failure loved his job. He was a janitor at a college. When he had to have a kidney transplant and afterwards he got better and wanted to go back to work, he found out that because if he worked, he would lose his ability to buy his medication (which he needed to stay alive)..............

So does his choice to not work to live make him lazy? [I am not insinuating you said anything like that, but using it as an example of how people fall into different situations and categories)

Yes! Some people are just looking for an easy ride. But I would be willing to bet that other members of ATS know of people whom were in the same or similar situation as my friend was..............

Like I said, "Don't hate the player, hate the game!".

Survival can become and ugly monster..............

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

~ Benjamin Franklin

Franklin never said it.

Those disputing, contradicting, and confuting people are generally unfortunate in their affairs. They get victory, sometimes, but they never get good will, which would be of more use to them.
~Benjamin Franklin

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
To all teachers.. stop working and start taking benefits..

Till the day comes that population is so illiterate that goverment wakes up ( if it wakes up ) and is willing to pay you decent salary, provide decent work conditions and give you the respect you are titled to.

In other way of saying.. that is soooo wrong !

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You may have to dissect that a bit.

Welfare, includes food stamps, and medicaid.

That number ( $38,004 in welfare benefits) includes both food, and doctor visits for that family of 3.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

There are always free programs that will pay for all sorts of things. If he would have lived in my city he could have gotten free medical care and free prescriptions from a particular charity.

Plus if you specifically seek a job with benefits that includes prescriptions, they can't disallow benefits for preexisting conditions. Nor do you have to admit your ill health when you apply for the job.
edit on 19-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Did i not say this ?

To be perfectly clear here I have no problems helping those who are in need BUT not to the tune of $15 TRILLION bucks.

Then said this:

I blame the people who take advantage of the program, and I blame those in government who take advantage of the people.

So hate ?

I said accountable didn't I ?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This doesn't surprise me at all..

It is pretty much the same as buying votes. This is the only way that the liberals can hold office.

It has gotten to the point where there is no longer a middle class. Now you have the wealthy, the lower class, and the free loaders. It is a sad time when the free loaders make more money than those who used to be the middle class.

The word unsustainable comes to mind.

Good post Neo S&F for you.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

~ Benjamin Franklin

Franklin never said it.

He said it every day of his life. First thing out of his mouth upon awakening and last thing before drifting off to sleep at night. He also said it a couple times during the day for good measure.

Yeah this is how you make sure your population stays nice and dumb. Pay the parents more to do nothing than you pay the teacher who is expected to override mom & dad's lethargic example and not only educate but somehow motivate the kid to achieve.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Indigo5

More credible than This post

The Koch Brothers conducted a hostile take-over of the Cato Institute...and Cato went from conservative to outright propagandist.

Shareholder dispute[edit source]

According to an agreement signed in 1977, there were to be four shareholders of the Cato Institute. They were Charles and David H. Koch, Ed Crane,[114] and William A. Niskanen. Niskanen died in October 2011[115] In March 2012, a dispute broke out over the ownership of Niskanen's shares.[114][115] Charles and David Koch filed suit in Kansas, seeking to void his shareholder seat. The Kochs argued that Niskanen’s shares should first be offered to the board of the Institute, and then to the remaining shareholders.[116] Crane contended that Niskanen's share belonged to his widow, Kathryn Washburn, and that the move by the Kochs was an attempt to turn Cato into "some sort of auxiliary for the G.O.P.... It's detrimental to Cato, it's detrimental to Koch Industries, it's detrimental to the libertarian movement."[65]

In June 2012, Cato announced an agreement in principle to settle the dispute by changing the institute's governing structure. Under the agreement, a board will replace the shareholders and Crane will retire to be replaced as Chief Executive Officer by former BB&T bank CEO John A. Allison IV.[117][118] The Koch brothers agreed to drop two lawsuits.[119]

en.wikipedia.org...

And as far as the BS numbers...it is throwing in everything but the kitchen sink...NOT actual money that welfare recipients get, but rather a gooey lump of everything the author could lump together.

The author admits as much in the fine print of the study...

Not every welfare recipient fits the profile used in this study, and many who do fit it do not receive every benefit listed.

object.cato.org...

edit on 19-8-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by doobydoll

Think I will hold both accountable :

"There is no evidence that people on welfare are lazy," writes CATO senior fellow Michael Tanner. "But they're also not stupid. If you pay them more not to work than they can earn by working, many will choose not to work."

Regular people are not in a position to change the system. Your government is, but does nothing.

Government is accountable, no-one else.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
To all teachers.. stop working and start taking benefits..

Till the day comes that population is so illiterate that goverment wakes up ( if it wakes up ) and is willing to pay you decent salary, provide decent work conditions and give you the respect you are titled to.

In other way of saying.. that is soooo wrong !

Our gov won't ever "wake up" in that way. They DON'T WANT well educated independent thinkers. That doesn't help them. What they need is idiots or at best obedient drones.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join