It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congresswomen's Voicemail: Where's My Bribe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton left a voicemail for a lobbyist in which she brazenly begs for a "contribution." It's a not-so-subtle reminder of how legalized bribery is the standard operating procedure in Washington. Until money is taken out of politics, this kind of corruption will only get worse and worse.

Wow, this is actually the normal procedure of American politics now, who can pay the most, who can offer the highest contributions, there's not much more to say really.

edit on 19-8-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This should trigger a recall from her constituents tomorrow. In my opinion there should be NO professional lobbyists, and NO corporate political "donations" allowed to the members of what is supposed to be the CITIZEN's government. Hang your head in shame, congresswoman. You ARE the problem!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

Well if this doesn't convince how corrupt our government is, I don't know what else will convince the sheeple
edit on 19-8-2013 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
We need some serious campaign finance reform in this country. Now, I don't think we need to ban companies from contributing, but we should seriously limit them amount. Companies have interests in what the government does, so their voice should be heard -- it just shouldn't run the show.

Perhaps only a certain percentage of a politician's campaign can be funded by private companies and corporations? The rest would have to come from their own wealth, and their political party.

I don't know ... just throwing ideas out there to see if anyone else has some too?

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

What about being supported by ordinary citizens like us.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Term Limits...

It seems these people have a license to steal.

Everybody in office now...must go.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Seriously, this is just ridiculous. We need to vote all the old veteran politicians OUT. They are to far gone, owe to many favors to too many corporations and individuals. This is why our country is gone to hell. Money

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yes indeed we most definitely need to take the money out of politics congressman are only one part of this the other part is the PEOPLE themselves going where's their bribe.

Yep I agree we must take the money out of politics from congressman to the people who just vote themselves stuff.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That explains why so many senators and congresspersons enter office as middle class citizens and within a few short years become very wealthy indeed. Appalling. Absolutely appalling!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I agree with term limits, but everyone needs to understand it is not a cure for the corruption and greed. It will simply make it take on the appearance of a feeding frenzy.

Our government is of the PEOPLE by the PEOPLE and for the PEOPLE. Not business.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

I agree with term limits, but everyone needs to understand it is not a cure for the corruption and greed. It will simply make it take on the appearance of a feeding frenzy.

You mean to tell me the politicians with their hands in the cookie jar dont have my best interests at heart?

Will someone please give me a few million so i can run? I promise ill give all the little people free healthcare and no taxes. We will tax the people with the MONEY!

Sorry for being sarcastic, i just feel like i have been screaming this at the top of my lungs for years.
edit on 8/19/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Democrats and Republicans have got to go! They are not in it to represent us. They are in it for THEMSELVES!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

I just figured if we limit these thieves to 4 years.

They would steal less or at least not be as good at it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

But this is exactly whats been going on for fifty plus years.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yup, term limits are the most sane and doable way to get folks like this out of office so that the damage they do to the Republic is limited by a set time frame rather than how long they continue to draw breath, but it has to be done on a national level as states that do not set term limits representatives would have a marked advantage over the states that choose to.

Personally I'd return the Senate to the state legislatures so that states once again have an actual voice in Congress, and even with that I'd limit Senators to two terms.

Representatives should be limited to three terms max equaling six years.

This would make a maximum of 18 years that any one person could serve in Congress. Six as a Representative and twelve as a Senator. Less than the twenty years most government jobs require to draw a lifetime pension.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Don't kid yourself it has only been going on for fifty years. It has been going on since corporations were given the ability to buy the regulators.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This was leaked nearly 3 years ago!

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

And she is still a representative of DC...
edit on 19-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

It was an arbitrary number, i dont want to get into when it started. That would be a pointless debate.

The only thing we should be focusing on is how to fix the problems.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I wasn't real familiar with who this woman is, so I did some research and found out something interesting about her.....

Eleanor Holmes Norton (born June 13, 1937) is a Delegate to the United States Congress representing the District of Columbia. As a non-voting member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Norton may serve on committees, as well as speak on the House floor; however, she is not permitted to vote on the final passage of any legislation. As a member of the House, Norton is also known as Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton.

Source

So let's see, she really isn't a Congressperson so to speak. She sits on committees (creates law) but she CANNOT vote in the house???????

So just what is she? A taxpayer paid lobbyist for the corporations? Sure she got voted in, but why? Her position just escalates the term lobbyist to an "insider insider".......

Anyhoo, I am glad she was stupid enough to leave that message! I hope she serves some time!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The ONLY thing about this that is even slightly surprising, is the fact that some of you seem to actually believe that the release of this voicemail might possibly bring about some sort of change from her other supporters.[color=888888](or whoever. whatever. doesn't matter. this is nothing new. nothing will change.)

edit on 8/19/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join