It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IE is using Too Much Memory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

The firefox version I have is outdated and so are my browsers.I couldn't play
candy crush on firefox either.I have windowsXP professional on my computer.
I have to find out what my husband has on his computer,we have his and hers
offices in our house.I am not allowed to touch his computer.
I think I remember reading that windows was going to stop supporting XP soon.
It might be a good idea to start looking for a new system soon.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

The firefox version I have is outdated and so are my browsers.I couldn't play
candy crush on firefox either.I have windowsXP professional on my computer.
I have to find out what my husband has on his computer,we have his and hers
offices in our house.I am not allowed to touch his computer.
I think I remember reading that windows was going to stop supporting XP soon.
It might be a good idea to start looking for a new system soon.

Support for xp will end in 2014. If xp came with that machine, it's definitely older than 3-4 years. If you can afford it, you should replace it with a Windows 7 machine. You will need to order it though, as 7 is no longer sold in retail stores. Dell and Lenovo both carry new machines with Windows 7 on them.

Look for a machine with at least an intel i5(or AMD equivalent) or better processor, and a minimum of 6 gigabytes of ram. I usually recommend a full size laptop(17.3") as a desktop replacement, but understandably, some folks like desktops better. Nothing wrong with that.

newegg.com or dell.com, are both good places to shop for a Windows 7 machine. Personally, I would avoid Windows 8. It's the most unpopular Windows ever. I have replaced many of them for customers with Windows 7.

Good luck.

ETA: Be sure to install the latest flash plug-in I mentioned on page one. Without it, many games won't work.
edit on 8/19/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I checked my computer and it originally had windows vista when purchased.
I got this computer about the same time I joined ATS.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

In that case, you can just buy a copy of Windows 7, save your data, and install Windows 7, then your hardware drivers, available from the manufacturers website. Though you may want to upgrade your memory first. Memory is cheap, and the best bang for your buck in the way of upgrades.

You can buy a full oem Windows 7 Pro here

If a machine will run Vista, it will run Windows 7. No problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

You know what im starting to like mbytes less and less these days. The other day as a test i took a bunch of currently popular Trojan creators and server cypters (i wont name them here) and ran them through detection tests and to my surprise almost consistently mBytes failed to detect them.

I think its a victim of its own its own popularity. Whichever the most popular anti-virus is at the time is probably one of the most unsafe to use because its the first one that virus/trojan makers will design their malware to try to defeat.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
HELP...I keep getting these messages that my internet explorer is using too much memory.
I am having problems with pages stalling and I keep having to reboot my computer all the time.
I don't know very much about computers and even less when dealing with problems.
I have windowsXP on my computer and I didn't really start having problems with my computer
until I joined facebook.Those pages keep jumping all the time and an advert knocked me off
while I was playing mahjjong.I am not a happy mama.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated,my computer geek moved away a long time ago,my
son.

I'm set in my ways, so I did NOT want to switch from IE. But, I was so happy when I finally switched to firefox.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I did tremendously, Thank you, thanks you, thank you!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by gortex

You know what im starting to like mbytes less and less these days. The other day as a test i took a bunch of currently popular Trojan creators and server cypters (i wont name them here) and ran them through detection tests and to my surprise almost consistently mBytes failed to detect them.

I think its a victim of its own its own popularity. Whichever the most popular anti-virus is at the time is probably one of the most unsafe to use because its the first one that virus/trojan makers will design their malware to try to defeat.

I've done the same thing. It isn't as good as it used to be. I also use a few others to catch what Mbytes doesn't. But it's still good to catch some of the more common ones, and it isn't so complicated, that the average person can't use it, like some of the others.

Superantispyware is another that isn't too bad, but even it isn't what it used to be.
Hitman Pro is good, but you have to check what it's removing. You can't just assume it's right.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Yeah i agree, since i found mBytes wasn't doing the job i have i been using superantispyware, spybot-SD and currently a trial of NOD32. I like to use Norton Personal Eraser as well. I use to use combo fix but i've found it destroys the licensing on a few software packages i have and i have to keep begging the manufacturers for new key codes if i use it.

But even then the Junkware Removal Tool just found a few dodgy folders the others had missed. Was nothing active , more like leftovers from other removals i had done.

Combination therapy is the only way to be sure, if you think you have picked up an infection just spend half a day downloading everything you can for free and hit it with the whole lot. Just dont reboot in between each scan with each bit of software.

Its a really shame they dont update the Megasecurity.og database any more. You used to just be able to find the infection , go there and work out have to manually destroy it. Ahh the good old days.

edit on 19-8-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i hope your issue has been fixed but i'd like to suggest a really secure browser i've been using for a while now.. it's called "Comodo Dragon Internet Browser" there's a version based on firefox and chrome as well.

if you made the switch to firefox and your problem has been fixed you should still scan your computer for malware, virus, trojan or rootkits.. because there's probably still a problem and just switching browsers will not fix your it, good luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join