It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Officer Charged in Connection With Streetcar Shooting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Even though I believe this man to be guilty of the crime he is accused of, I do see this as a "throw him under the bus" scenario in the hopes to deflect guilt from the department as a whole. This should make it's way up the chain of command as they are responsible (to a certain degree) for their officer's actions.

And of course..THE DOUBLE STANDARD...something I never get used to no matter how many times I encounter it. These charges are probably an attempt to sweep the incident under the rug and blame one lone individual instead of having it sprial into a major departmentalized investigation.

I wonder how much dirt this guy has on other officers, and will he expose them?

I would like very much for all the "bad apples" to be picked from the tree.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Not to drag in the other thread to much..

First off, my opinion is that he should not have qualified to remain on payroll, but a proper investigation would be required before they take his pay.

Upon a death of a suspect, law enforcement suspends the responsible officer to maintain the integrity of the investigation. Now, the individual is not always found guilty of something and being paid does seem to make sense. But, as we have discussed, if the officer is subsequently charged and found guilty, I think the pay should be returned.

As others and yourself have mentioned, what about the other officers?

They clearly lacked the skills to deescilate the incident so hopefully they will focus on that in the future, but once again I will not get my hopes up.

I think what will happen, if indeed the office who was charged is found guilty, the other officers involved will just be reprehended, but allowed to remain on duty. I think the police force will want to limit the number of officers affected by this.

Deescalation needs to be at the front of the debate. Attempting to deescalate a situation would be the most human thing to do..

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I would like to see a body cam on each officer and disciplinary charges laid against anyone who turns off either his car cam or body cam, no excuses.

I feel such measures would certainly make a positive difference against actions of rogue members of the force who (ideally) are supposed to be serving the public trust.

Have seen so many videos where officers take offense to being filmed in lawful situations---about time the tables are turned in equality in our ever burgeoning big brother society.

Training methods could do with an overhaul too to reduce 'hardline' tactics when dealing with potential threats, though I do not see this happening--the opposite I can see resulting as corporate/government interests are served first and foremost as paymasters---and the stench of it's corruption is increasing.
edit on 19-8-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by PrimeLight

De-escalation tactics are called for in ever case when dealing with a mentally distraught person. If as reported he held his penis in one hand and a knife in the other, it's a no-brainer that he is not in a normal state of mind.

They could have reached inside the driver's window and kept the door shut, securing him safely inside until appropriate help arrived, for instance. Applying correct assessment and response tactics must be addressed better in training and on the job. Did they consult anyone on the end of their communication devices, like a shift supervisor? That there was a disgusting display of ineptitude is quite clear. In the situation we all saw, it looked like a free-for-all at the Okay Corral.

I don't know how this will end and whether justice will end up seeing the light of day by the time all tricks have been tried, but we are really fed up with the escalation in violence seen since the G-20.
edit on 19-8-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Originally posted by 727Sky
Good news; but I have to wonder how the story would have been told if there was no video...
They will sacrafice one of their own if enough hue and cry is raised.

carry a camera with you and record all the time..

....yeah theres CCTV everywhere, but thats not to protect your rights, its to protect the governments interests =/

Precisely!! Sadly it's the only protection we have against an increasingly militarized police force that see's the citizenry as the enemy. The very taxpayers that pay the LEOs salary are now the enemy to be killed at the slightest provocation; Real or imagined.

It's a brave new world!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Can't wait to hear what all the people defending the police in the first thread about this have to say now. Tell me again how they were just following procedure. Riiigggghhhht.

Anyways good to hear this, and makes perfect sense to me. In any other situation this would be homicide, just because you have a badge and a gun does not exempt you from being a murderer. Good thing they have video evidence too, is there anyway he's not convicted? I guess that will be for a jury to decide.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

The videos show Yatim, holding a knife, pacing back and forth on the empty streetcar as police shout, “Drop the knife.” Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

Pacing with a knife,

What are they gonna charge the police officer with? Protecting the public from a guy with a knife who wasn't following commands?

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
They should give the police officer a promotion.

It's not even legal to carry a knife beyond a certain length like 4 inches, for example in many places, not to mention pace with one while a police officer is telling you to put it down.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
And can anyone tell me why the "k" in knife is silent?

This is absurd!

Knuckle

Knee

Knife

Ridiculous to have a letter that normally has very hard and distinct sound at the beginning of a word and not use it.

That has to be very confusing for Asian students who come to US colleges.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CatherineWheel

Thanks for the bumps

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatherineWheel
And can anyone tell me why the "k" in knife is silent?

This is absurd!

Knuckle

Knee

Knife

Ridiculous to have a letter that normally has very hard and distinct sound at the beginning of a word and not use it.

That has to be very confusing for Asian students who come to US colleges.

Just to try to help, I did this quick search, and don't want to derail the thread, so this is all I wills add:

The Silent K
by Sharon

One common spelling error is omitting the K at the beginning of words where it is silent (example: nick-nack instead of knick-knack). The origins of silent K are difficult to pin down. What we do know is that the k wasn’t always silent, especially in words of Germanic origin. Just as it is in German, the k was actually pronounced and many of the words which now have silent k originally began with that distinctive clicking sound. My high school teacher made a point of this when teaching us Chaucer.

Maeve said:

In old English the letter c stood for two sounds: [k] as in come and [ch] as in church.

The word knock comes from OE cnossian “knock, pound.” The word knee comes from cneo, “knee.”

The cn spelling changed to kn under the influence of French spelling conventions brought in by the Normans.

Cn came to be written kn, but the pronunciation remained the same until the 17th century. That’s when the [k] stopped being pronounced. The spelling, however, had become fixed.
source
edit on 20-8-2013 by UnifiedSerenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
Good news; but I have to wonder how the story would have been told if there was no video...
They will sacrafice one of their own if enough hue and cry is raised.

Some whistle blower must have caught it on video. (joke)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CatherineWheel

The videos show Yatim, holding a knife, pacing back and forth on the empty streetcar as police shout, “Drop the knife.” Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

Pacing with a knife,

What are they gonna charge the police officer with? Protecting the public from a guy with a knife who wasn't following commands?

He wasn't pacing anymore after the first 3 bullet holes. The next 6 bullets, which were shot after the cop paused and aimed better, were probably unnecessary. I guess he had to readjust his aim lower as the teen was now lying down dying.
The final taser was really "overkill"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join