page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Toronto Officer Charged in Connection With Streetcar Shooting

www.ctvnews.ca

A Toronto police officer has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the fatal shooting of a teenager aboard a streetcar last month.

An arrest warrant has been issued for Const. James Forcillo, Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said in a statement Monday morning.

“Because the arrest warrant was just issued, Cst. Forcillo has not been arrested at this point,” the statement read.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Toronto Police Kill 18 Year Old Alone On Streetcar. Caught on Video. I Am Speechless.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sammy Yatim who was shot several times by Toronto Police last month was gunned down on a streetcar while in possession of a knife.

The incident was caught on video and went viral, and caused a firestorm of controversy.

Opinions differ on the incident due to certain variables such as use of excessive force by the officers, and the fact that the victim was carrying a knife and was not complying with police requests.

My opinion is that this officer deserves to be disciplined and that things should have gone much differently that night.

As for the charges he is up against, I believe he will not be held accountable for his actions as my faith in the Canadian Justice system has diminished over the years.

www.ctvnews.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/19/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
He didn't do his job properly, and he committed a crime. He deserves justice...not the law...justice. I also have little faith in our legal system. I hope this is one time when I am wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Good news; but I have to wonder how the story would have been told if there was no video...
They will sacrafice one of their own if enough hue and cry is raised.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

This is as it should be, IMO. The SIU however has a dismal record of convictions against police officers.

I am glad that there may be some positive progress that comes from this tragedy. The fact that officer conduct and training on DE-escalation will be pursued gives me hope.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The man murdered a person. Thats just it, just because he's wearing a uniform, doesnt mean its a free pass to kill someone. He needs to be dealt justice, for the crime that was commited. Especially after pumping all those shots into the poor guy, band bang bang, pause, still moving, bang bang bang bang. WTF

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is very good news to hear. The video speaks for itself and the officer was in the wrong from the gate.

Only if we get that kind of justice here in the states.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I agree, he needs real justice.

My OP was kept as neutral as possible but I do believe that this guy deserves some real bad karma, and I don't say things like that very often. Justice is rarely served, even more so when it comes to police brutality.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Without the video, this would have been a slam dunk close for the Toronto PD.

Perp with a knife, officeer was in the right

Yes, I am very glad that the video footage was taken.

It's the only good thing I can think of about this event.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Caroline13456

Yes, at the very least, perhaps this may bring some positive progress and help stop things like this from happening more often.

But I won't keep my hopes up.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What the hell is this?

You mean to tell me that they are actually going to charge him with 2nd Degree Murder?

Damn, somebody at TPS doesn't want this going in any other direction. Must be something more illegal they've been doing.

Good though. Scum like that, who abuse the power we place in them, are the #1 kind of people who deserve prison.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

I see it the same way you do, I consider Sammy Yatim to have been murdered.

There is no other way to explain it in my opinion. I am not saying that he was completely in the right, as he did have a knife, but it does not justify the execution he was subjected to.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
Good news; but I have to wonder how the story would have been told if there was no video...
They will sacrafice one of their own if enough hue and cry is raised.

carry a camera with you and record all the time..

....yeah theres CCTV everywhere, but thats not to protect your rights, its to protect the governments interests =/

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Good day CE,

Thanks for posting the update. I just saw a similar update in the thread that broke the story. And, as per that thread, several other ATS members and I were discussing the "suspension with pay" aspect of this case, where I agreed that if a conviction was indeed to follow, that the convicted officer should be forced to repay all money's provided during his suspension.

That thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com... If anyone wants to review.

Now that the prospect could become a reality, I would like to reiterate my sentiment that if convicted, he should repay the tax payers.

The officers involved with this tragedy should be held accountable for their inappropriate responses and their apparent unwillingness to deescalate the situation.

I believe the concept of "deescalation: will be a topic of much debate around this case.
edit on 19-8-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I commend the arrest warrant for second degree murder , I would also like to see the other officers charged with accessory or at least negligence of duty, as from the video not one officer present tried to stop him offloading 6 shots after he fired 3

Just my humble opinion
Riouz

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

What about the other cops? What, they didn't have a brain to know this was wrong? I think they should all be arrested on accessory to murder or conspiracy to murder since they all did it together. Arresting one is just to appease the public. They were all wrong and since they all want to back each other up, then they can all hang together!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It was mentioned on the news this morning that the teen was down by three shots, from what the video showed.
Six more shots and then a taser is "overkill" - no pun intended.

If this type of wrongdoing by cops is properly brought to justice more often, cops will be forced to think twice before they open fire, or repeatedly tase.

Comply or die is not the Canadian way

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Until now each case has not stood on its own merits. Even though I think most police are ok people, when there are bad or rogue ones in their midst they have been absorbed by the blue brotherhood to the detriment of the integrity of the entire force.

I would like to see a body cam on each officer and disciplinary charges laid against anyone who turns off either his car cam or body cam, no excuses. In that way, their word which has been tainted by this blue brotherhood bond that Canadians believe has been used to cover up crimes, can once again be restored and trust begin to take root once again. It's time to restore their credibility and imho that's the only way they can do it.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

funny that,
I seem to recall more than 1 officer involved
right there on the source page there's a link stating he recently participated in a prostate cancer awareness march
makes one wonder why he's been thrown under the bus eh?

hmmm... "Sanity" would dictate regularly purging any officers suspected of any kind of humane sentiments...

beware of authority's proffered scapegoats...

ROFL the double standard rears it's ugly head again: if You or I were merely the driver of the getaway car
and were 200 feet away from where police shot your partners you'd be facing multiple murder charges, one for each partner killed by police. but no such thing as being an accessory [or being held accountable for your actions] ever happens when you've got a badge marking you as a government approved enforcer.

and nothing at all would have been done were people not marching in the streets.
so instead of punishing all, they throw, probably the least criminal one, out as a sacrifice.

unless he's so depraved, he's willing to cop to a lesser charge, in exchange for some reward on the q.t.
this officer should quit, and then drop a dime on the rest of the scum, naming names, etc.

after all, loyalty is a 2 way street.

edit on 19-8-2013 by TheMagus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Good day MDDoxs,

You raise an interesting point when it comes to "suspension with pay". First off, my opinion is that he should not have qualified to remain on payroll, but a proper investigation would be required before they take his pay. Now that they are pursuing charges against this officer shows me that they are either using him as a scapegoat, or no matter how hard they try, they cannot justify his actions so they are going to make an example out of him.

And yes, if convicted I believe he should be required to repay the taxpayers as it is us who pay his salary and I don't like the idea of someone such as this person sitting at home getting paid off my tax dollars.

As others and yourself have mentioned, what about the other officers?

They clearly lacked the skills to deescilate the incident so hopefully they will focus on that in the future, but once again I will not get my hopes up.

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join