It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Far Will You Go For Your Label?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

you should go with sexy, smart older woman

The labels others choose for us are usually incorrect for lack of knowing who we really are.... my daughter thinks I am strong, smart, perfect in nearly every way...

which is nuts, and only her perception. I am none of that.

My husband thinks I am sexy, witty, a good wife, strong, intelligent....sometimes nutty (I am sure!)

which is still nuts, as I am none of those things.... this is only his perception....

The labels we put on ourselves, our online persona's, are generally also incorrect, because that is something we don't really live up to in real life.... just things we try to be, and sometimes fail

I think there is something in the middle of what we want to be and how others perceive us that is the most correct...

You are right, we label others as a means to protect ourselves, that is simply human

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I feel I have taken the thread off topic, if that is true I apologize OP.

Labels are useful in that they help us navigate our world, harmful in that we use them to pigeon hole people and create false divisions or perceptual divisions, where in reality there are none. Knowing we do this, goes a long way to changing it. Personally, as soon as I create labels for others I dump them and go with my experiences with that person. The labels I give myself may divide me from others when I share them, I have no control over this. Since my 'labels' are a part of me, but not the whole me, it is sad when that happens, still I would not change the labels I have given myself to please others.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I tend to defy labels and stereotypes. If pressed for a "label" I'd say I'm an "Individualist".

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Squirrel lover... Admit it!!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Thing is, that you can know your own construction, without ever displaying most of the architecture of your mind, your heart, or your soul to anyone at all. Therefore, the label one carries for oneself is not on public display, and nor should it be. Who you are is your own business, and no one elses, unless you expressly decide otherwise at any given moment. It is no ones right to judge a person based on absolutely no data what so ever, and yet people do it all the time.

People look at me for instance, and they see long hair, a long beard, black clothes, leather waistcoat, combat trousers and military style boots, not to mention tattoos featuring skulls, and think Im some sort of child eating psychopath from a hell realm. As it happens Im just a decent lad, with some pretty solid moral ideals, and a strong faith in Jesus, who also happens to have some pretty depthy appreciation for brutal guitar music, and whose politics fall somewhere between the revolutionary, and the "You know what? I might as well just watch from this point forward" angle.

Theres no way anyone could tell that from looking at me, and there is no way that anyone has a right to make that assessment for themselves without giving me a chance to prove thier erroneous false impressions wrong. The other thing is, that even if they COULD know my politics and my morality, that still wouldnt allow them to know enough about me to judge me. Those things cannot tell a person wether I would run toward or away from a fire, or wether I would help or ignore a person being beaten by a group of thugs. They cannot tell anyone, anything remotely important about me.

See, the important things arent what we say about what we think, or how certain things make us feel, or what our politics is, or what our philosophy is. All that really matters is this...

Can I trust this person, in a crisis, to be the best that he can be in a given situation, or not? Thats the only important question to ask about anyone from a societal point of veiw. Will this person save a life, kick a butt, make an effort when the faeces hits the rotary airflow regulator, and stand with society against that which threatens it.

Your chosen label couldnt be less important in that regard, because it doesnt mean anything.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by beezzer

Squirrel lover... Admit it!!

An Individualist that loves squirrels.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

In terms of descriptive labels (political leanings, etc) i would go as far as making my views known, possibly further depending on the situation. For example, although i loathe violence i would, under extreme circumstances, be prepared to fight for my labels.

In a materialistic sense though i would do nothing for my labels! Unless it was my Yorkshire Tea - then i would happily kick a puppy to death for my next fix of my label!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I went to Tesco for my label : hence forth I shall be known as " Tesco finest sundried tomatoes "

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

If i walk into the middle of a sticker patch, i don't expect to find an orchid. To find an orchid, i must look where orchids are.

Thus, the same can be said with group think, or as you call it "labels" If a person climbs willingly into a box to cozy up with its contents, it would be safe to assume that this person can be identified by the label on that box. Because you wouldn't expect to find an orchid amongst a bunch of goatheads and grassburrs.

Me personally, i try to live outside of a label to such a degree that I often find it hard to call myself "human". Many human traits are so stupid and petty that it pains me to climb into that box. Often times I have to act willingly to behave in a more human manner.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
HOLY POOP PPL!!! You all know what he is asking humor the guy and tell him what others would "judge" you as, within the limits of your own perception.

I'd be labeled as a straight shooting loudmouth centrist with a passion for people.

and for as far as I would go with it.... It is more like a way of life then a label. So if I go further one day compared to the next. that is just the day I am having...
edit on 19-8-2013 by BlastedCaddy because: blah

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

oh. well in that case, i am typically either judged as a raging a-hole, or the most compassionate man on Earth. Either love me or hate me....not much in between.

I am like my by line says: a radical freedomentalist. Anarchy may be too restrictive for me, depending on whose version of anarchy we are talking about.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

"Anarchy may be too restrictive for me, depending on whose version of anarchy we are talking about."

That is awesome!

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

My labels are: 1. Human 2. Observer.

This is what I've observed:

No one is right all of the time. No one is wrong all of the time
When we were kids we didn't know what we were doing.
When we were teens, practicing at relationships, we didn't know what we were doing.
When we got married we didn't know what we were doing.
When we became parents we didn't know what we were doing.
When politicians get elected into office, they don't know what they're doing.

Point: We're all just winging it, and will continue to do so until we die.
edit on 8/19/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join