It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An image of Comet Ison or is it really a comet?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

I take long exposure images all the time. The shape is what is weird. It would either be a trail or a long blur but not a boomerang...

edit on 18-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

If this were true..the stars would look like lines as well, since they are roundish, also.

No because the stars are stationairy(relatively) and the comet is moving. You are not getting it at all, mam.

They make a pic with an exposure of 440seconds. Everything that happens in that period is recorded in one image. Since the comet moves it forms a line. The stars don't because they are stationairy unlike the comet.
edit on 18-8-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

The explanation could be that it entered another gravitational field and changed course during the exposure.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

If you don't think its a ufo who do you think it is?

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
That is definitely not a comet. I once owned a 71 comet, I should know what one looks like.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
That is definitely not a comet. I once owned a 71 comet, I should know what one looks like.

It could be a Gremlin....

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Okay. So for this to be a smear from long exposure, three things have to happen.

1) the camera has to be locked onto the stars allowing the comet to move through the frame. I think that was confirmed in the description from NASA. Check
2) While the shutter is opened for the first exposure, in what is apparently a series of three exposures, the comet must move through the frame creating a straight line smear. Check
3) While the shutter is opened for the SECOND exposure, in what is apparently a series of three exposures, the comet must move through the frame creating a straight line smear. Check

HEY! Wait a minute here!! The second image smear is in the shape of an obtuse angle. So that means that the COMET had to move at about 45 degrees off of it's trajectory at exactly the halfway point of the exposure. Remember, the comet is the one traversing the frame. If the camera were to shift, all of the points of light would smear.
edit on 18-8-2013 by wirefly because: Corrected a number

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If it is shutter speed, you would see a trail of dots along the comet, but the picture is symmetrical resembling a boomerang.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

LOL...i remember those

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I read somewhere I don't remember where that the days of the ice snowball comet was numbered because probes that were sent to take a look didn't show to be true. I've also read wild claims that comets are forming planets. Maybe some of those claims holds more weight then previously thought. Didn't they find a diamond planet and srars with diamond cores, maybe this is a diamond comet.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jahari

If you don't think its a ufo who do you think it is?

Id love to believe it was something other worldly..but my mind can't grasp it. I guess we have to wait until October..sadly..im afraid it'll just be another non-event..I really hope it is something spectacular..

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoParadigm

The explanation could be that it entered another gravitational field and changed course during the exposure.

HUH? Another gravitational field? What do you mean by that?

And it changed to a 45 degree angle turn within a few minutes? The L-Shaped/Boomerang shape is not explainable by a "gravitational field". Only artificial objects can change trajectory by large degree in a short period of time.

Do you know anything about Astronomy or are you just pulling things out of your "hat"? The comet might be tumbling or tugged by a planet or other celestial object, but a comet much like any other object entering the solar system follows an elliptical orbit around the sun and would only vary slightly from its path.

edit on 18-8-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by wirefly
Okay. So for this to be a smear from long exposure, three things have to happen.

1) the camera has to be locked onto the stars allowing the comet to move through the frame. I think that was confirmed in the description from NASA. Check
2) While the shutter is opened for the first exposure, in what is apparently a series of three exposures, the comet must move through the frame creating a straight line smear. Check
3) While the shutter is opened for the SECOND exposure, in what is apparently a series of three exposures, the comet must move through the frame creating a straight line smear. Check

HEY! Wait a minute here!! The second image smear is in the shape of an obtuse angle. So that means that the COMET had to move at about 75 degrees off of it's trajectory at exactly the halfway point of the exposure. Remember, the comet is the one traversing the frame. If the camera were to shift, all of the points of light would smear.

In other words, what do you mean..lol

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

I mean...well...well I don't know what I mean!
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how it can be from a long exposure. I'm not saying it's a spacecraft, I mean would they really need headlights? I really don't have a clue what is going on. I can't wait to hear the true answer. I am truly puzzled.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

HEY! Wait a minute here!! The second image smear is in the shape of an obtuse angle. So that means that the COMET had to move at about 75 degrees off of it's trajectory at exactly the halfway point of the exposure. Remember, the comet is the one traversing the frame. If the camera were to shift, all of the points of light would smear.

And this is why I love ATS!!!!! The above is probably the best explanation of why this is not an artifact...
Star for you good sir.

I for one welcome our new Overlords!!!!

By that I think this may be an actual craft of some kind... Keep watching the Ski's!!! < Simpsons Quote...

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I know. I was thinking the same thing.

Also it should be noted that the only objects between Ison and Earth would be Mercury and Venus and their respective moons. I least that is what I assume. Is my thinking correct?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you keep darkening the image you will see the stars that are closer or brighter begin to also become lines of light. The image darkens with an algorithm which makes it reduce all light values uniformly that's how we end up with straight lines of light... if you notice in the original image the outer edge (that when darkened become the boomerang) is brightest so it remains even when the rest of it is blacked out. It's like a positive balance of light after the darkening algorithm is done subtracting.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Do you know anything about Astronomy or are you just pulling things out of your "hat"? The comet might be tumbling or tugged by a planet or other celestial object, but a comet much like any other object entering the solar system follows an elliptical orbit around the sun and would only vary slightly from its path.

I offered a potential explanation. I never claimed I was an expert, I specifically claimed that I wasn't.

There is no real need for anger, but be my guest.

Sorry for trying to find a logical explanation and not jumping on the spaceship bandwagon.

It will be here in November. We'll see.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

I mean...well...well I don't know what I mean!
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how it can be from a long exposure. I'm not saying it's a spacecraft, I mean would they really need headlights? I really don't have a clue what is going on. I can't wait to hear the true answer. I am truly puzzled.

I've been following this thread and I'm at a loss. Logic wants me to believe it has something to do with the camera / shutter speed but I don't understand how or why that would create the "V".

I know you're joking about a spacecraft having headlights but I look as it as being a powersource or ....I don't know it's just weird!

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted

I know. I was thinking the same thing.

Also it should be noted that the only objects between Ison and Earth would be Mercury and Venus and their respective moons. I least that is what I assume. Is my thinking correct?

Neither Mercury or Venus have moons (but that is no matter)...

In your assumption you need to understand that the major influence is the sun and the orbit would not be changed in 2.85 minutes to what looks like a 45 degree angle by any object in our solar system...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join